what do you drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blckchns
    I called RediAuto Sport to get a price quote and wanted to charge me about 10g's. That's not including installation. Forget that!!!

The 5Zigen system ran me $1700.
    I had contacted RediAuto and they'd quoted me about $15k for the parts and labor. Thanks for the info about the 5Zigen. I'll think about it for my next vehicle.

I posted this at about 6 months post injury.

/forum/showpost.php?p=436191&postcount=181

It was such a feeling of freedom to be able to drive myself to my therapies, appointments and whatever. A year has passed and I'm really grateful for improvements in my mobility. I've gotten another ride.

Last edited by dan_nc; 13 Mar 2007, 11:54 AM.
    Daniel

Comment

I took the metal sleeve / bar out between door & frame and got the driver's side door to open 90 degrees on this CL2.2 Acura. Two bolts , 5 minutes and can be placed back in the same amount of time. Makes for easier transfer. I was looking for 2 door Honda Accord found this which I guess is bascially the same with more creature comforts.

Comment

The 5Zigen system ran me $1700.
        That's not bad at all... do you have a link to further specs/details about it? I must be blind b/c I'm not seeing it on their site.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett
          That's not bad at all... do you have a link to further specs/details about it? I must be blind b/c I'm not seeing it on their site.
          Yeah, the don't sell this in the US any more and you will need to order the kit from Japan. Here's the link for the system, but it's all in Japanese:

http://www.5zigen.co.jp/product/item...tch/index.html

Any performance shop should be able to order the kit.

Comment

Yeah, the don't sell this in the US any more and you will need to order the kit from Japan. Here's the link for the system, but it's all in Japanese:

http://www.5zigen.co.jp/product/item...tch/index.html

Any performance shop should be able to order the kit.
            I can't read Japanese. Thanks though.

Q: does it work well if you push the button with your palm? i.e. shifting by resting your hand on top? Just curious if this could be used by folks with higher injuries - I don't have fine motor control of my fingers but could still work a stick if this were the case.

Comment

I have a real babe magnet - probably why I've only got one picture of it!

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR
                It appears that the 5Zigen system can be used with regular hand controls
                Not safely. There is no way I would get into a car with anyone driving with controls that don't allow you to keep at least one hand (or foot) on the wheel at all times.

C.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett
                  I can't read Japanese. Thanks though.

Q: does it work well if you push the button with your palm? i.e. shifting by resting your hand on top? Just curious if this could be used by folks with higher injuries - I don't have fine motor control of my fingers but could still work a stick if this were the case.
                  I ususally use my palm when shifting. You shouuld be fine as long as you can palm the shifter.

Comment

Originally posted by ChesBay
                    I took the metal sleeve / bar out between door & frame and got the driver's side door to open 90 degrees on this CL2.2 Acura. Two bolts , 5 minutes and can be placed back in the same amount of time. Makes for easier transfer. I was looking for 2 door Honda Accord found this which I guess is bascially the same with more creature comforts.
                    Great idea! I forgot Japanese car door hinges had strap stops, does the door keep going beyond 90 degrees or did you fab a longer strap for it? This gives me some ideas!

Originally posted by Timaru
                    I have a real babe magnet - probably why I've only got one picture of it
                    I think Citroens are cool. Back when I was in high school a guy I knew had a 1973 DS21, that thing was wild. Pneumatic suspension, a little button on the floor for a brake pedal, and a Masarati engine as well. It was a total rust bucket when he got it, but with enough body filler and eventually a white paint job, that thing finished nicely.

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
                    Not safely. There is no way I would get into a car with anyone driving with controls that don't allow you to keep at least one hand (or foot) on the wheel at all times.
                    So then it would work safely. I have part of my hand (thumb) on the wheel at the same time as I'm operating the hand control, plenty safe. The only time I use the other paw is turning a corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
                      So then it would work safely. I have part of my hand (thumb) on the wheel at the same time as I'm operating the hand control, plenty safe.
                      Sorry, no. Your thumb cannot grasp the wheel firmly. If you are balancing the wheel with only your thumb and you hit an unexpected bump, blow a tire, someone swerves in front of you, etc the wheel can be jerked out of your hand or, at best, you will have a delayed reaction while moving to grab the wheel. I realize that a lot of people are rolling their eyes as I say this, but it's true. Milliseconds count when it comes to safely controlling a car.

C.

Comment

Sorry, no. Your thumb cannot grasp the wheel firmly. If you are balancing the wheel with only your thumb and you hit an unexpected bump, blow a tire, someone swerves in front of you, etc the wheel can be jerked out of your hand or, at best, you will have a delayed reaction while moving to grab the wheel. I realize that a lot of people are rolling their eyes as I say this, but it's true. Milliseconds count when it comes to safely controlling a car.

C.
                        Well, yeah, the sky might fall also. I've been driving with one finger since forever, now I drive with a thumb. My reaction time and looking for holes in the road, potential swervage, and other potential mayhem that typical drivers proactively look for has served me well. Of course if I did none of this and just waited on the edge of my seat for the next unexpected thing to surprise me, yeah I guess a deathgrip would be needed then.
                        <sarcasm off>

In the meantime, I will continue to blissfully use a thumb while chatting on my cell phone and eating breakfast and occasionally checking my email on my Crackberry if I have a chance to look up from the new hardcover copy of War and Peace I picked up. I gotta have something to keep me occupied on the drive to work!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
                          Well, yeah, the sky might fall also.
                          The things that I mentioned as possibilities are fairly common on the roads. I didn't mention anything so easily dismissed.

I've been driving with one finger since forever
                          I hear people all the time claiming that they must be good drivers because they haven't had an accident. The one does not validate the other.

My reaction time and looking for holes in the road, potential swervage, and other potential mayhem that typical drivers proactively look for has served me well. Of course if I did none of this and just waited on the edge of my seat for the next unexpected thing to surprise me, yeah I guess a deathgrip would be needed then.
                          I didn't mention a deathgrip and you know it. I also didn't imply that a firm grip on the wheel was to be used INSTEAD OF being very aware of one's surroundings, looking ahead or any of the other things that a good, cautious driver should be doing.

C.

Comment

i miss driving a car ...after my injury i drive people ...to love me or to get mad.lol

Comment

I ususally use my palm when shifting. You shouuld be fine as long as you can palm the shifter.
                              sweet! not that I'm in the market for a new car right now, but that's great to know... i miss manual trannys.

yup, i'm rolling my eyes. i understand what you're saying, but try driving with quad hands sometime. you'd hate it, i promise.

i have a attachment on the steering wheel to assist w/ the lack of grip, but unless i'm making a turn that requires 3/4 of a wheel rotation or more, i rarely touch it - meaning i never really "grasp" the wheel firmly. i've put in just under 120k miles of driving post-sci w/o a problem.

Comment

I've had my Chrysler Town & Country Limited for about 3 years now, and while I do love the convenience of the van (especially when it's raining and I don't have to worry about loading my chair in a car!), I am beginning to miss driving a car .... which is why I'm starting to shop around a bit. Not going to get rid of the van .... just thinking about getting a car in addition to it.

Last edited by BlazerGrad; 14 Mar 2007, 7:40 PM.
                                "This is a life like no other ... this is the Great Adventure" -- Steven Curtis Chapman

Comment

Working...
                                X