Got my new TiLite ZRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my new TiLite ZRA

Well I just got it yesterday and I'm still getting used to it, but it seems like the front wheels are going to get caught easily and throw me out. Other than that it's pretty awesome. It rides soooo smooth which is nice. Does anyone else have this problem of feeling like their going to get tossed if you hit a crack or bump?

John E.

What size is your chair? I'm still waiting for my chair.

We ordered one but it came to short so we re-ordered another one 1" longer. I felt like it was to forward tippy so the extra inch should put the front casters out in front further...
    EM

Comment

Put Your Footplate Up, And Or Losen Your Back Upolstry. This Puts Your Center Of Gravity Back, Making Your Frt End Lighter
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

what he said, or the size of your front casters can make a difference. 3 inch micros are a lot more likely to land you on your face than larger wheels. If they are tiny and you are able to change them, give it a try and see how you like it.

Comment

That is the exact problem. It's about an inch shorter than my other chair and no the seat isn't shorter just the chair.
          It's 18"x18". I wish someone could have given me an idea that this might happen, but when you order them there is no such catagory.
          I think I'm going to try to loosen the back so it sets me back father.

Comment

I wish there was a better way to try the chairs too.

I went from a 18w x 18d to a 16w x 17d. With the 16w chair I don't have much room to go backwards so the length of the chair becomes critical for me.

I tried to get Ti to weld a 2" extension on the rear tubing and drill the appropriate holes so I would have a chair that would have three different depth lengths, 16, 17 and 18. This way I could do a lot of experimenting so on the next chair I would know exactly what I wanted/needed...
            Last edited by em; 5 Jan 2006, 7:25 PM.
            EM

Comment

john, can't you move your rear wheels back a little? That would maybe stabilize your COG somewhat. What was the seat size of your previous chair and what type of chair was it? Also, how tall are you?

Comment

i got the same chair and I don't like it. I feel the same way as if the wheels are to small or some thing. Plus one of the front wheels don't touch the ground, can't undrestand why..

Comment

ls brave sounds like you might need to adjust your castors if you have the zra, instruction manual shows you how.

Comment

Originally posted by em
                    I wish there was a better way to try the chairs too.

I went from a 18w x 18d to a 16w x 17d. With the 16w chair I don't have much room to go backwards so the length of the chair becomes critical for me.

I tried to get Ti to weld a 2" extension on the rear tubing and drill the appropriate holes so I would have a chair that would have three different depth lengths, 16, 17 and 18. This way I could do a lot of experimenting so on the next chair I would know exactly what I wanted/needed...
                    EM did you talk to anybody in engineering or the designs unlimited department about doing that?

Comment

em, regarding your TRA chair....I remember you said it was too tippy in front and it seemed shorter than your previous chair....correct? After contacting your DME provider or TiLite they simply agreed to build you another chair?

Comment

canuck
                        Never asked Ti about this. DME supplier said they probably wouldn’t, and if they would it would probably be 500 or more dollars—that would have been to much, also, they might have been concerned about liability issues because the weld wouldn't have been tested...

smokey
                        I immediately felt uncomfortable in the chair but took possession so I could compare it beside my current Ti SX at home with just me as the analyst—no one else.

Once I got home I put the chairs next to each other, decided on alignment reference points, and made numerous measurements and pictures. That’s where I saw that the front casters where about 1” rearward of the SX. I had already tipped in the SX, so knew I better do something.

First thing the next morning I called Ti and told them of the problem. They said about the only thing that could be done was for the DME folks to take it as a demo and then re-order the chair. I then called the DME and told them I would have to return the chair. The next business day I returned the chair. The chair was returned within 72 hours.

A new chair is on order.

Having custom chairs built is a good thing and a bad thing. What happens if a chair is miss-measured, or you and the DME measured correctly, but when chair arrives it just doesn’t feel right?? That’s why I like chairs with lots of adjustments, of course I ‘m a mechanic and builder.

A bad fitting or un-comfortable fitting chair is a bad situation for both the end user and DME. That’s why I suggested welding on the 2” extension; I figured that would be the best solution for everyone, and it would have been a great solution for me because I would have been able to experiment.

I realize there would have been a couple things I would have had to work out. I would have had to re-design the folding back rest release bar, and the seat sling, but all could have been worked out.

All I know is it would have been bad to sit in a chair for 5 years that I wasn’t comfortable in, but it looks like it worked out and that’s all that counts…
                        Last edited by em; 6 Jan 2006, 8:17 PM.
                        EM

Comment

Oh Em....

This kind of comes late, but I'm so sorry about your problems. You are on point about the good/bad things regarding these custom fit chairs. It sounds like this is going to be resolved at no cost to you? If so, yipee!

I just got my ZRA a month ago. I made a point to go to the Abilities Expo (was very lucky to have it near me) and have the Ti Guys measure me (3 of them). I was really glad that I did this as their measurements were in agreement and significantly different from my DME. If your DME screwed up the measurements, they definitely have the obligation to work with Ti to fix it.

After I changed my CoG, I had a floating caster too. It's just the nature of the beast that you're going to have to tweak it since both wheels are on that monotube with no extra tubing to square off the thing. If you go through all 9 (!) steps in the manual to fix a floater, it really does work... or least it worked for me. It took forever, though, and I needed some "man strength" to loosen the bolts for me.

For what it's worth, I have 3 inch casters, and have yet to be pitched out. I think the flex in the frame has something to do with this. I've been going over the same sidewalk cracks on which my GPV with 5 inch casters regularly pitched me.

My take is this: wheelchairs suck, this one just sucks less--for now. But that was after A LOT of tweaking. Over all, I like it so far. Hope you like your next one.

NJenn
                          Disclaimer: I use voice dictation software, due to chronic tendinitis. Any gibberish-type errors in this post are due to the software's stupidity, not my own. Protect your arms and hands from overuse, people!

Comment

My old chair is an A-4 and the guy that fitted it for me did an awesome job. I just overlooked the extended length along with everyone else.
                            I went to an abilities expo this summer and had some TiLite guys fit me cause I was thinking about getting a chair then and they did a terrible job. I was watching them the hole time and it was a joke, but I didn't use their measurements anyhow.
                            I can tweak a few things to make the zra work, but if I'm going to have it for a long time I want it to fit like a glove.

Comment

Originally posted by johne623
                              I went to an abilities expo this summer and had some TiLite guys fit me cause I was thinking about getting a chair then and they did a terrible job. I was watching them the hole time and it was a joke, but I didn't use their measurements anyhow.
                              That's too bad-- it's a good thing you didn't use their measurements. They spent almost an hour with me. All in all, a good experience. My DME was going to put me in a 15X16 chair, we realized that I could easily fit into a 14X15. Fits me wonderfully.

NJenn
                              Disclaimer: I use voice dictation software, due to chronic tendinitis. Any gibberish-type errors in this post are due to the software's stupidity, not my own. Protect your arms and hands from overuse, people!

Comment

Working...
                              X