Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

''Ultraslick'' Trans board??----Quad transfer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ''Ultraslick'' Trans board??----Quad transfer.

Hi,,,,
    I have a ''basic'' wooden transfer board that I use[with lil help]]. It's old and seems to work ok. A friend who knows I ***recently began transfering informed me of the ''Ultra Slick'' board which she they use. So I Googled 'n came up with a vendor 'n read about it.

Questions:
    1--Can these be bought direct from maker,,,, does anyone have a website,,,,?
    2--Does anyone have one,,,,, are they better/easier to use than an old wooden board,,,,?

Thanx,,,Freej
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

***Re: ''Recent transfering.''
    This is meant to be a boost of confidence, help, for those who may have been, ''are'' in a situation as I ''was.''

I'm a C-4/5 quad, dependent on help. Re; for 20+ yrs, I was transfered in/out of bed[into chairs] by either 1 strong guy just lifting me up,,,, or, a 2 person lift [1 gets bear hug, other on legs]. They tryed to teach me transfering in rehab, but concluded I could not. Basically, I could only get in/out of chair/bed under those provisions----Thus, a lot of waiting, 'n missing out.
    Out of neccessity due to depleted human help[[ppl were not as available to help]], just being tired of being trapped, and some inspiration from others, SCI'ers,,,, I began trying to find my way on how to transfer using a board with ''minimul'' help/strain on the helper[[my lil 16 yr old niece or 70 yr old mom]]. After much failing and frustration I finally figured out a way and worked/improved on it.
    The past 18 mos,,,,,,, I transfer with a board with minimul help/strain on helper. It takes 2-4 mins, to get in/out of bed into my power/manual chair----soooo,,,,, I get in/out whenever ''I'' feel like it----NO more trapped, waiting.
    However,,,, I've yet to do this into my shower chair---problem yet unsolved.

So,,,,,, if the dependency 'n trapped situation that I ''was'' in apply's to you,,,,,,, with a lil desire, a form of motivation, 'n just being ready to try,,,,, it ''might'' be possible.

Hope it helps,,,,,Free

The company that makes them is CME (Composite Medical Equipment). I use them and they are worth the cost.

This use to be the website.
    http://www.ultraslick.com/

Comment

i bought one, i thought it sucked. accessible designs board is way better
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps
        accessible designs board is way better
        I concur.

Comment

I have not bought a board since I was in rehab. My step dad makes them for me The once we polyed (sp) works ok but the one we put Tiek (sp) oil on instead is great.
          www.cawvsports.org
          The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
          We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps
            i bought one, i thought it sucked. accessible designs board is way better
            I use an Accessible Design also and it's a good board but for slickness the CME is better. I wax all of them with turtle wax once a week. It makes a big difference.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's,,,, it looks even, like a preference thing.

Fuente,,,, being that you have had both: Besides ''suck'' for Ultraslick,,,, can you give a ''constructive'' comparison, soo I'm better informed,,,,,

Aly,,,,, I'm very interested on how your Dad makes your boards. Also,,, are you refering to applying a ''polyurethane'' finish,,,,, over wood oil on the board,,,,,,,

Az,,,,,,,,, the 2 boards I use now are old, but very smooth,,,no finish,,,, Think I should wax one,,,,,,,,

Slipperyness will help me,,,,,,,

Freej
              Last edited by FREEJ; 01-05-2006, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FREEJ

Fuente,,,, being that you have had both: Besides ''suck'' for Ultraslick,,,, can you give a ''constructive'' comparison, soo I'm better informed,,,,,

Aly,,,,, I'm very interested on how your Dad makes your boards. Also,,, are you refering to applying a ''polyurethane'' finish,,,,, over wood oil on the board,,,,,,,

Az,,,,,,,,, the 2 boards I use now are old, but very smooth,,,no finish,,,, Think I should wax one,,,,,,,,

Freej
                THE HAnd holes go across the board rather than length wise, and its not nearly as slippery as the accessible designs board. ive had 3 ad boards before trying the ultraslick, after reading about it on here, i was not impressed.
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com
                c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

freej i use the BEASYTRANS. ITS A SLIDING BOARD WITH A ROUND DISC THAT GOES UNDER YOUR ASS AND THERE IS A GROOVE IN IT THAT SLIDES YOU RIGHT OVER. I BEEN USING IT FOR 4 YRS ITS GREAT. I HAVE 2 DIFFERENT SIZES I FOR GETTING OVER INTO A CAR AND 1 FOR GETTING INTO THE BED.I GOT MINE FROM YOUNGS MEDICAL SUPPLY IN P.A. I NEEDED HELP IN THE BEGINING BUT NOW DO IT MY SELF YOU JUST MIGHT NEED SOMEONE TO PUT IT UNDER YOU.IF YOU NEED MORE INFO JUST ASK. ANTY
                  For every minute you're angry you lose a second of happiness

Comment

FREEJ I FOUND THE SITE FOR YOU ITS http://www.beasytrans.com good luck anty

Comment

hey Ms. Anty. how much is that Beasy? Arent you afraid of pinching your skin? I saw this thing demonstrated years ago, its kinda nifty

Comment

hey ms liz the beasy never pinched my ass lol it is great insurance paid for the shorter 1. i paid for the longer 1 i think 250 dollars but not sure it was 4 yrs ago. go look at the site i am sure they have prices anty

Comment

Originally posted by FREEJ

Freej
                          If it's plain wood you might try furniture polish or ask someone at a good lumberyard.
                          The wax would probably help but may absorb into the wood so a finish may not stick if you want to do that later.

You can also try a talc (baby powder). It helps but a bit messy.
                          Several years ago I used a spray silicone with good results. Be sure to rub off all excess.
                          Hope this helps.

Comment

I know the people who make the UltraSlick. One of the owners has a C6 SCI himself for over 30 years, and I have known him for 25 years. We use them where I work. They will customize the cut-outs if you need them (not everyone needs a cut-out), and yes, you can purchase directly throught their website.

(KLD)
                            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I have an Ultraslick and it's not as "slick" or slippery as the name suggests. I seem to exert the same amount of effort as when I used my previous no-name board. I suppose I could wax it up or something. The Accessible Designs board would be better for my transfers if it only had one hole instead of two. I hate to have my ischiums get hung up IN the holes. I do like their idea of the anti-slip material on one end of the board though. As I'm sure most of you know, sometimes the board shifts, slips and moves with your butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X