grab bars inside a fiberglass shower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grab bars inside a fiberglass shower?

Does anyone have any experience with grab bars for a fiberglass shower? I have seen a number advertised in assistive devices catalogs, but they seem kind of expensive. Are there any cheaper alternatives?
    Daniel

I didn't get a roll-in shower in my condo because I couldn't afford it. I just have a tub and a shower bench ... although I look longingly at having a tub bath some day! (the one time I tried it I had a helluva time getting out).

I saw some articles about tiling your own?? Were you looking at the Kohler models because yes they were expensive!

What about approaching an open-minded creative sub-contractor?
    Last edited by lynnifer; 18 Dec 2005, 8:42 PM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by dan_nc
      Does anyone have any experience with grab bars for a fiberglass shower? I have seen a number advertised in assistive devices catalogs, but they seem kind of expensive. Are there any cheaper alternatives?
      Since you can stand and if your fibre glass shower has no top. - Ropes from the ceiling, cheap and does the job. You just hold your hands in the ropes when you transfer in and out of the shower and you can install the ropes the way it best suits you. Leif

Comment

lynnifer do you just transfer in the bathtub and use a hand-held shower? I'd love to use a tub but I'm afraid the transfer might be too tough for me. I'm considering some transfer bars and some grab bars for that purpose, but I'm still a bit apprehensive.

Leif, that's an excellent idea--I'll run it across my "handy" AB'd friends. Ropes hung from the ceiling, eh? I was also considering a transfer pole (floor to ceiling).
        Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by dan_nc
          Leif, that's an excellent idea--I'll run it across my "handy" AB'd friends. Ropes hung from the ceiling, eh? I was also considering a transfer pole (floor to ceiling).
          Yes dan nc. All it takes is some handy AB friends.

In one of my bathrooms I have installed something similar in my shower corner. I have not a fibre glass shower but like a shower wall mounted on the floor with two glass doors that opens into the shower corner. The doors and the walls in the shower are installed on an aluminium frame going from one wall to the other wall (if you can visualise what I mean).

On this top frame I have installed a couple of ropes, the ropes are just hanging down say two-three feet’s from the ceiling – this way it can hold my body weight while I transfer into the shower. If I am falling I can hold my body weight in those ropes if you know what I mean. Due to this, the ropes can’t be to long (the transfer ropes I have is about the level of my head while standing).

Above that you can install several ropes (different lengths) to take care of all the necessary transfers you will need in your shower. I also had to modify the hinges on the doors itself due to they was of bad quality, because if I was falling sideways into the doors the hinges did break. Now I have manufactured new Stanley steel hinges also that will never break…
          Inside the shower I also of course have a plastic shower chair.

A "stripper’s" pole like you say can also be handy, I know what you mean. But I think by tailor-make the ropes for you this can do the job. Just have your friends to work on it while you try different rope installations.

Good luck. – And just make sure that whatever transfer aids you go for are installed in a solid way.

Here is an illustration I made – hopes it gives you some ideas.
          Last edited by Leif; 19 Dec 2005, 8:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X