Quad Push rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad Push rims

I've been coming to the board for sometime but never posted much, I am C6 and use both a manual chair or powerchair depending on what I'm doing. I've had plastic coated hand rims and can never get enough traction with them, in rehab I had rims with tabs but was told they were to dangerous as my hands could get caught, interested to know if any quads use handrims with tabs and if they have any problems, I know going down slopes is a problem but even with normal rims I cannot break enough so either get someone to hold me or I fly down!

that or go down backwards....seriously...

have you tried gloves?

Comment

my one hand doesn't work as well as i like so i hook my thumb into where the rim attaches to the wheel to push.
      Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
      http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
      My regular blog:
      http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Comment

Good gloves should do the trick.

Comment

I had rims with the small protrusions but now I use regular coated rims. The protrusions get caught on things, and they are of little value if you wear good gloves (like Chris said). They also add weight and get nicked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissyme
            I've been coming to the board for sometime but never posted much, I am C6 and use both a manual chair or powerchair depending on what I'm doing. I've had plastic coated hand rims and can never get enough traction with them, in rehab I had rims with tabs but was told they were to dangerous as my hands could get caught, interested to know if any quads use handrims with tabs and if they have any problems, I know going down slopes is a problem but even with normal rims I cannot break enough so either get someone to hold me or I fly down!
            I have used straight knob plastic coated ones for 13 years and haven't had any problems. The knobs are great when you need some power, like climbing steep inclines

Comment

I've searched the internet for rims with knobs. Where could I find a set?

Comment

Try here.

http://www.edmond-wheelchair.com/Mer...e=EJ-Handrim-8

Comment

like jayday said, go down hills backwards then your leaning forward useing your shoulder and biceps to push your hand against your handrim. im c4/5 inc and have always used black plastic coating. i tried foam but it got chewed up to easy
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com
                  c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                  sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Thank you AzBluMach. Pricey aren't they.

Comment

Yeah, but what isn't in the crip world! If you want really tacky (as in sticky) push rims try contacting Eagle Sport Chairs at 1-800-932-9380 and ask about the black coated Leeden rim's. Don't know the cost but the Rugby guys use them.
                      Originally posted by rrbbtt
                      Thank you AzBluMach. Pricey aren't they.

Comment

Originally posted by cali
                        my one hand doesn't work as well as i like so i hook my thumb into where the rim attaches to the wheel to push.

oooo, that doesn't sound like it will be very good on your hand/thumb area over time... be careful!
                        An administrator made me remove my signature.

Comment

Neoprene foam coated pushrims are the way to go. I have used them for my 23 years in a sports chair. Some were soft and wore out quickly if I was not careful but my current set has lasted about 6 years. They are better when wet than plastic coated rims. PRC used to make them - ask your wheelchair vendor.

-Greg Jacobs
                          Silverdale, Washington

Comment

Here are some good gloves if you want to try them first. The only drawback is that they leave some black marks on your hands.

http://accessibledesigns.com/newgloves.htm
                            I agree that neoprene coding might be a great way to go, but the easiest thing to do is get a set of the e.motion wheels made by Frank mobility. They are expensive (about six grand) but they give you the best of both worlds (power and manual chair) and really help save your shoulders while giving you some exercise.

Comment

I also like the foam coated pushrims.Sure they get chewed up a bit but for grip they kick the crap out of the plastic coated.Living in a climate where theres snow for 4-5months the grip of foam rim rules..

Comment

Working...
                              X