Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone with scissor locks do me a favor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone with scissor locks do me a favor?

Can you take a picture and post it to show how they work? I just put in the order for my new ZR, I went ahead and put down scissor locks, but I can still change it.

I live on a hill, so I will be loading and unloading on the hill. When I'm pushing up the hill, I sometimes bump the brake lever so that it pushes the brake down and the next push I slam my wrist or thumb into it. But when I unload things from the car (groceries, etc.) I need to be able to lock the chair easily and fast before I roll down it.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Scissor brakes are out of your way, but can also be difficult to set and release unless you have good trunk balance and pretty strong hands, as they fit under the seat much more than a standard brake.

Have you considered disk brakes? Here a a couple I am familiar with:

E-Brakes

D's Locks

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I've seen those disk brakes, but I can't find any dealers that sell them. I asked the guy about them and he said the only ones he'd seen cost about $1000. [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img]

I tried to connect the the D's lock website today but it wasn't working, seems fine now. Again, I can't find anyone that sells them, and I don't know how much they'll cost.

_____
      Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
      Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Comment

scissors are all i use because they are out of the way. u have to bend over and reach between your legs to set them. i have little hand function but good trunk, 0once i was used to them , it was easy.
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Jim, not all vendors know these products. We use the D's Locks a lot (one of our outpatients started the company) and I know they cost less than $400 installed.

You might want to contact them. Here is a picture of a scissor lock in the unlocked position. You have to be able to reach between your legs to reach the handle.

(KLD)

[This message was edited by SCI-Nurse on 12-07-04 at 02:03 PM.]
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Here they are in the locked position:

Comment

jim you can also get reverse lock scisors that is what i prefer. pull to lock, push to unlock.
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com

Comment

I have the same locks, you do not HAVE to reach forward and under the seat to get at them. I just reach over the side and reach under with my wrist. All you gotta do is adjust the lock body outwards from the frame and you are good to go. I like them and they are pretty mantainace free as the moving parts dont get mangled since they tuck under the chair.

Comment

Originally posted by *Andy*:

I have the same locks, you do not HAVE to reach forward and under the seat to get at them. I just reach over the side and reach under with my wrist. All you gotta do is adjust the lock body outwards from the frame and you are good to go. I like them and they are pretty mantainace free as the moving parts dont get mangled since they tuck under the chair.
                  Andy for a QUAD its much easier to do them the way i desribed, a must if u use the reverse lock scissors which hold better.
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com

Comment

I was just adding some options to some things that KLD said about their usage, Jim is a para I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by *Andy*:

I was just adding some options to some things that KLD said about their usage, Jim is a para I believe.
                      OH , OK I THOUGHT HE WAS A INC QUAD
                      Bike-on.com rep
                      John@bike-on.com

Comment

Jim,
                        The best thing for loading on hills is the hub locks such as D's Locks. They usually retail for $450 (some chairs are extra). I sell them and can help get your insurance to pay since you live on a hill. My info is here
                        http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37908

Jeff Sirko

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Sirko:

Jim,
                          The best thing for loading on hills is the hub locks such as D's Locks. They usually retail for $450 (some chairs are extra). I sell them and can help get your insurance to pay since you live on a hill. My info is here
                          http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37908

Jeff Sirko
                          jeffs the man, im working w/ him and brian now. im impressed so far.
                          Bike-on.com rep
                          John@bike-on.com

Comment

KLD, thanks for the pics. Can they be swaped from push to lock to pull to lock like the regular locks?

I dicided to go ahead and get the scissor locks. The chair hasn't been ordered, it's awaiting approval from my VR councelor. I figured if I didn't like them, I might can swap the brakes from my old chair, but the ZR frame tubes are larger so I might not. If so, it would be cheaper for me to buy the regular brakes, or go with something like the D's locks.

BTW, I'm a C8 complete quad, I have good hand strength though.

_____

Comment

how much are the new ZR?

every time you fall,
                              stand up tall....
                              come back for more
                              every time you fall,
                              stand up tall....
                              come back for more

Comment

Working...
                              X