Which hand controls...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which hand controls...?

For those of you who have hand controls on your vehicles.....which brand/type do you use?

Has anyone had any experience with these?
    Sure Grip

Thanks

"...I ask for, not at once no government, but at once a better government. Let every man make known what kind of government would command his respect, and that will be one step toward obtaining it". ~Henry David Thoreau
    "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

Monarch Mark IV been using them for 19 years same set, a few peices have been replaced here & there but otherwise bullet proof

Comment

That's the type that was in the first car I drove while still in the hospital. They felt solid, and will probably be what I get when I get my car.

I drove a van with the Monarch controls and I didn't like them at all. They felt cheap to me, and they'd hit my knee so I couldn't get full throttle. I almost couldn't get the damn van up a hill because of it.

_____
      Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
      Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Comment

I have MPD controls in my car. I like 'em. I was looking at the site you posted, I think it would be weird to drive having to pull the lever back all the time. With a push down for gas control all you have to do is hook your finger on it and rest your hand for gas, less muscle strain I think.

Comment

ive only ever used mpd, work great, no maintenance
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com
          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

JDR,
            I drive an 03' Ford van and have the sure grip. I think it's great, but I have had problems a couple of times where they become jammed when driving. Had them looked at but they found no malfunction. It's nice because I can drive w/ one hand. Just use two fingers to accelerate and my thumb to steer. I had the sure grip mounted as close to the wheel as possible. Good luck in your findings.
            Ed
            T-10 complete Jan. 03'

Comment

I don't have firsthand knowledge yet but they are the type I've picked. Hopefully be able to let you in a month or so.

This will be my first set of controls, so won't be able to give a comparison.

Here is another view of them on their webpage.

www.suregrip-hvl.com/handposition.html

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"
              "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

I've got MPDs currently, used 'em for > 5yrs w/ zero maintenance. As long as I'm not making a big turn, I can drive w/ one hand as well (& I'm C6/7). I like the fact that the Sure Grip doesn't have a bar that I wouldn't jam into my knee when accelerating hard, but I'm with Andy... I don't know about having to pull back on the accelerator all the time. It's very easy to just "rest" my hand on the MPDs.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. I've tried out the Sure Grip and the Monarch brand hand controls. I actually felt much more comfortable driving with the Sure Grips. They seemed to be more quickly responsive than the others and didn't start with a "jerk" on first accelleration. I think I'm going to go with those.

"...I ask for, not at once no government, but at once a better government. Let every man make known what kind of government would command his respect, and that will be one step toward obtaining it". ~Henry David Thoreau
                  "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

Comment

With the SureGrip you don't actually pull back, it's more of a pivot motion. When I drove with them, I just rested my palm on top and pushed down to go.

JDR I noticed the same thing between the two. The SureGrip seemed more smooth and controled. With the Monarch, there seemed to be a huge "null zone" then it kicked it. It took a while to get used to it.

_____
                    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
                    Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Comment

The null zone sounds like a set up problem to me, I've had this happen & had my mechanic make some adjustments to the controls & it fixed it. You might also want to look at your throttle cable, the gas on my monarch was really stiff & I thought it was the controls turned out that my throttle cable was sticking.

Comment

Hey JDR,i use the Sure Grip and i love em.I find them so easier than the other's ive tried,there more comfortable and better for my balance...imo

~~Need more friends with wings,cause all the angels i know put concrete in my veins~~

Comment

Hey Justin-

Did you go with the Sure Grip controls? YOu've had about a year to try them out...do you like them? I'm getting my controls this week. MPS, I think. The guy said that's the only kind he puts in and it should be done this week. I forgot these existed until today when I was peruzing the equipment forum.
                          jOE
                          www.nwiscig.blogspot.com

Comment

I've got sure grip controls in my 4*4 and love them for that application, but I'm a bigger guy and in my mustang there's no way there'd be room. In there I use Menox contols they're very slick looking and very precise, the only drawback I've found with them is that brake stands are out of the question it's impossible to apply brake and throttle at the same time. The sure grips can brake stand.

Comment

Jplw - I have been driving with SureGrips since January, I love 'em. Got them adjusted so that at crusing speed the handle is right next to the wheel and I can do both with one hand one on straightaways. Of course I use cruise when circumstance allow too.

You will probably be happy w/ the MPD's, they are probably the most sold h/c's. For future reference though, I won't let anybody tell me "that's the only kind I install". You are the customer, tell him what you want. My dealer also was gonna use MPS but I told him I had researched out h/c's and knew what I wanted, so I got my SureGrips. Remember, it's your money.

Zaphod - I thought the Menox had a brakelock for sitting at redlights. That would work for powerbraking, or does it auto-release when you gas it?
                              Last edited by McDuff; 3 Nov 2005, 4:51 PM.
                              "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Working...
                              X