LiFePO batteries for power chairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LiFePO batteries for power chairs

I have recently purchased these for my solar system and after a month of use, got two for my powerchair after using AGM, Gel and flooded batts for the past 25 years. Have researched/watched for over a year on the best warranted LiFePO batteries on Amazon that are LOW COST. I got two 12v 36AH batteries from WYZE. They have a 5 year warranty and I got them at $119 each on sale, now are 139. 36ah are fine with me. You may want 50AH for your use. They are working SUPERB so far. I was down to having to recharge multiple times per day arrr. Here is the link https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Phosp...p?ie=UTF8&th=1 If you go to the reviews and set them to list by MOST RECENT, you will see my review with pictures of them/mounted in pwc.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Can you charge them in series? or do you need individual chargers? I've been wondering about LFeiPO for my ZXD-1.
    Either that or new lead ones and find a 24V battery tender. I use the thing randomly; off the charger it gets flat; always on the charger.........well I've toasted the pair I bought when I got the ZX.
    Using a battery tender, I got 12 years out of the battery in General Grant, the 87 560SEL we only drive on special occasions.

69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

I've been using 20ah LiFePO4's from Bioennopower for the last year and a half and they're a huge improvement. They're a bit wide so I had move them and the cover back an inch. There are trade offs going with lithiums though. The biggest one is the way LiFePO4's can flatline on you very quickly with little warning if you are not paying attention to the gauge. And there is no recovery in time of rest after the BMS boards shutdown. You learn to keep an eye on the gauge and get to a charger when it enters the orange zone and it's really not an issue. I have however added a 24v power tool battery as an emergency back up that I can switch on if needed. I usually only get into the orange when I try to go two or three days without charging. You should really charge every night. If they do go dead on you, plugging in a charger for a few seconds will turn the BMS back on for you to release from the ZX1.

The other possible downside of LiFePO4's is travel. I don't know the airline restrictions but I think they're slow to keep up with technology and probably the other main reason why many wheelchair manufacturers don't offer lithiums.

There are a few 12v 18ah LiFePO4 batteries on Amazon that are the same size as the stock ZX1 batteries. If you do get them, also get a charger that is specifically made to charge Lifep04's and remove the black box if you have Spinergy's lithium batteries..

I just got 4 Dakota Lithium 18 ah batteries that I put on one ZX1, 2 extra in an auxillary pack that sits on top of the cover, for a total of 36ah's.

Batteries:
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...W1I1I0OV&psc=1

These look too good to be true but who knows they might be identical:
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DA9AKEJ3Z&th=1

Charger:
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...RWB3JMSM&psc=1

Comment

Yes, after initial charging of each one and then sitting overnight hooked in parallel to get voltage equalized, THEN put them in the pwc in series. Charge with settings for LiFePO (manufacturer states in directions). They are VERY different from other batteries. But MOST folks don't even understand proper care for any of them. Educate yourself and get them. The BMS for them is IMPORTANT for you to verify. PATTHERAT is using small amp hour batts that MAY NOT work for everyone, if the PWC exceeds the allowed discharge current for too long, problems arise. I got the 36 because it allows high discharge rate. LIGHT and small.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

I've bookmarked your amazon post for future ref, I am good with lighter and powerful. An aside; didn't take long to spot what's tucked under your cushion, would be well hidden with you in it.
          "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

I want 100 AH x 2 for my street chair (big old heavy C500S). I've got to measure my old batts because I want the biggest I can get for the space group 24's fit in. I've been looking around & know what I want including charger will be costly. I don't care. New AGM's give the range I need for about a year, still good just less range & torque up hills. Gel last a little longer but not enough to offset cost verses AGM. If I can get 3 years of better range & torque for 1 steep hill I must navigate, it'll be worth it.

My biggest concern is the BMS. At what voltage does it cut off (discharge)? I haven't found these specs yet. I can temp set a volt meter to see what that equates to in the color bars with my existing batts (should do it now as a benchmark). My plan may include a single 24v mounted on rear caster (will make a mount) & probably a different charge port style for normal charging & to plug in reserve batt (w/o inhibit pin).

Since all of this is made in China, quality varies greatly even from the same manufacture date/time. This has me leary, justifying my procrastination.. Any returns are sent to China (costly out of pocket) if they have good customer service (this is varable too).
            Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
            Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
              Can you charge them in series? or do you need individual chargers? I've been wondering about LFeiPO for my ZXD-1.
              Either that or new lead ones and find a 24V battery tender. I use the thing randomly; off the charger it gets flat; always on the charger.........well I've toasted the pair I bought when I got the ZX.
              Using a battery tender, I got 12 years out of the battery in General Grant, the 87 560SEL we only drive on special occasions.
              from OP's link:
              • LIGHTWEIGHT AND VERSATILE: Compared to lead-acid batteries, lithium provides greater energy density and are at least 1/2 the mass, it is a perfect upgrade for any 12V Deep Cycle battery, and best choice for many applications such as Fish Finders, Ice Fishing, Camping, Solar System, Home Alarm Systems, E-Scooters. Please charge the battery with a dedicated LITHIUM BATTERY CHARGER, and no more than 4 batteries in series or parallel.
              ​Sounds like at least these WYZE batteries can be charged in a series or parallel configuration of up to four batteries.
              Translation: a pair in the ZX-1 wouldn't need any special attention to charge!
              69yo male T12 complete since 1995
              NW NJ

Comment

Working...
              X