Fitting a tire to a rim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting a tire to a rim

Hey all, I'm thinking of getting some 2" (width) tires for my manual chair. I have 24" wheels and the tires say 37-540 on the side. I've never looked into how this works, so how do I know if a 2" wide tire will fit onto these particular rims? I'd appreciate any input.

The 37 on your tire is the width in millimeters and the 540 is the diameter.
    So look for a tire that is designated 50-540.​

I've been using 2" wide tires on standard wheelchair rims (sized for 1" tires) for many years with no problem. In my case I have 26" rims (559 mm) and the tires I am using are 55-559.

Jeff
    Doh!

Comment

What JeffH said... I do the same... runnin (559 x 2.35")​ tires on 559, 1 inch rims

Just remember it's going to change the geometry and change your center of gravity and you'll need to adjust your brakes etc....

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
      The 37 on your tire is the width in millimeters and the 540 is the diameter.
      So look for a tire that is designated 50-540.​

I've been using 2" wide tires on standard wheelchair rims (sized for 1" tires) for many years with no problem. In my case I have 26" rims (559 mm) and the tires I am using are 55-559.

Jeff

Comment

i have some Kenda 24x2 / 54x540. they are taller than my 559/25inch. they fit fine on a regular rim. i'll give them to you if you live close enough that the shipping isn't a fortune. pm me and i'll see if i can figure out how to show you pics.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I'll give them a shot!

Comment

Working...
          X