Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

caster bearing R6 where to find with nylon cages, retainer, separator.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

caster bearing R6 where to find with nylon cages, retainer, separator.

caster bearing R6 where to find with nylon cages - also known as bearing cage, ball bearing retainer or ball separator.

Hi,

Caster bearing seized again.. the joys of wheelchair life!
    Take them apart oil them put them back.. seem pretty good.

Figure I should order some new ones for next time as cleaning them is a PITA.

Read on line that you can get bearings with nylon cages.. which makes them much easier to take apart and clean.
    Breaking the steel cage apart and reassembling is the biggest pain for me. So reading about cages that just snap off seems awesome

Anyone out there have any good leads on R6 bearings that come with nylon cages.
    I've been searching, but my google skills are obviously lacking..

any info greatly appreciated...

Cheers.

i don't know about the cages, but if you get double "sealed" (not shielded) bearings then pop out the seal from one side. pack it full of good grease,put the seal back in, it will last a long time. once a year or so you re grease it. oil doesn't work

Comment

Agree with using sealed bearings. In packs of 10 you can get sealed R6 bearings for less than a dollar each. Few things affect bearing life more than cleanliness, hence their assembly in clean rooms. There's nothing we can do to get a used, repacked, bearing to last as long as the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by endo_aftermath View Post
        Agree with using sealed bearings. In packs of 10 you can get sealed R6 bearings for less than a dollar each. Few things affect bearing life more than cleanliness, hence their assembly in clean rooms. There's nothing we can do to get a used, repacked, bearing to last as long as the new one.
        Agree! Absolutely a waste to clean and repack these at the price of new. I keep a pair of caster wheel bearings in my chair-pouch along with a few tools. Stem bearings/main wheel bearings I leave in my workshop. In 27 years I've only replaced one stem bearing and maybe 10 caster wheel bearings.

However, if you're stuck somewhere, sometimes surprising how much you can recover a nearly seized, rusty bearing by cleaning and re-lubing it.
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

Anyone have recommendations on a particular brand ?
          Looking at these on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/PGN-R6-2RS-Se.../dp/B07GT82D7P

Comment

• endo_aftermath
            endo_aftermath commented
            Editing a comment
            Those claim to be ABEC-5. They're probably not but even if they are ABEC-1 that's plenty good for this application.
        Working...
        X