Power chair motor is leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power chair motor is leaking

Have a Jazzy Passport that I use every now and then. The right motor is leaking thick red fluid from the black rubber cap in the back of the square block (maybe gear box). I tried cleaning the hole and cap and push the cap all the way in but when I use it the fluid still pushes the cap out.

T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

sigpic

It sounds like a seal...needs to be replaced! do both at the same time

Comment

Originally posted by RollinPositive View Post
      It sounds like a seal...needs to be replaced! do both at the same time
      Where can I buy parts for this chair?
      T3 Complete
      to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

sigpic

Comment

It looks like what I'd call a seal-plug, a plug to block up a drilling or gallery to keep dirt out and lubricants in.
        It looks like what's behind it is a ball bearing that supports the motor's rear armature shaft and worm gear that drives a bigger gear above it.
        This arrangement results in a lot of thrust being developed in the axis of the worm gear shat/armature, and demands that something control/stop the armature's desire to move fore or aft depending on which direction it's running.

My hunch is that there was a snap ring abutting the outer race of that bearing and somehow it's gone? Then the bearing would be free to push the seal-plug out of it's hole.
        I suggest getting someone to observe and see if indeed the bearing does move when you ask the chair to go forward or back.
        It's also possible that the plug itself is supposed to locate the bearing, but I can't imagine how stupid the designer must have been! but given things I've seen, it is a possibility!

EDIT: tinng321, where in NJ are you? I'm in Long Valley
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

As pfcs mentioned, check for excess thrust movement first. Doubtful that's the cause but well worth ruling it out. I would think you would have heard some noise if it was so bad to knock out the plug.

I had that issue with my M51 Pronto although it didn't pop out, just leaked. It stays in my van that is not in a garage or covered. It gets hot in the summer. The gear box is not vented so it pushed oil (from the grease) onto my chair lift. This made getting the chair on & off the lift entertaining as the oil was in the path of a drive wheel.

In your case, clean plug & bore well (oil free). Put Yamabond #4 on the plug perimeter then reinstall flush with box shell. Wipe off excess sealer. Allow at least 24 hrs to cure. Next, clean (oil free) area around plug, then apply thick aluminum tape over plug & gear box as a supplemental holder.

I had 2 plugs leaking. I did not remove them due to damaging them would require replacements (= hrs of searching for generic sizes). OEM gear box parts are rare to non existent because they consider the drive assembly as a unit replacement, not serviceable. I added the Yamabond with a pop sickle stick, then finger smeared it around the edge between plug & box. The thick aluminum tape insured the plug would not get lost if it popped out. No leaks in 6+ years since I did this shade tree engineering. Yes I could have removed the motor/gear box assembly to do a more professional job & would have if it still leaked..
          Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
          Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

"the Yamabond with a pop sickle stick"

funny, when I had my shop I favored Hondabond for similar sealing scenarios.
            and I endorse Gearhead's plan, once you have checked to see that the bearing isn't moving when you run that motor in both directions.
            I agree, should be a nearly permanent repair.
            69yo male T12 complete since 1995
            NW NJ

Comment

Take it to a parts store like NAPA and get a soft plug or freeze plug sometimes called. They should be able to come close or exact size if not you can try contact cement. Get a small can like from a hardware store. Make sure its the good stuff that is flameable. I use art brushes for to apply to edge of seal and were the seal goes into it. You can also use it to fix ROHO leaks.
              Art

Comment

Working...
              X