DME in OKC area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DME in OKC area?

Mama and I really need to get serious about getting new powerchairs. Medicare covered chairs were gotten in 2012. They past needing replaced. After our old DME changed careers we have had poor luck with DMEs. Last ones are just small plain chairs with captin seats which we bought out of pocket, can't do that again.
    Any recommendations?
    We tried twice replacing chairs since 2012 and apparently after getting paperwork from us and doctor the DME disappears for months. Can't get ahold of them by phone? 2019 when I got out rehab the home health folks set up everything. DME showed up for meeting with us and homehealth to do evaluation/paperwork said every was great. No demos were ever bought out. Few months pasted and nothing. Home health ended and DME guy couldn't get ahold of for months. Nearly year later he called and said need start paperwork all over again. We had given up on them and bought out of pocket but regular seating is eating my rear and back and ain't holding up to daily use.
    Anyone have any luck with DME in OKC area I'd appreciate the information.
    Thanks!

If you are on Medicare, you have to start out with an evaluation by a RESNA certified therapist or DME. They would refer you to appropriate DMEs based on their evaluation, and they would write the letter of medical justification for all features of the power chair which your physician must sign. I'd start with an evaluation at your closest large rehab center which has RESNA certified therapists. (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      If you are on Medicare, you have to start out with an evaluation by a RESNA certified therapist or DME. They would refer you to appropriate DMEs based on their evaluation, and they would write the letter of medical justification for all features of the power chair which your physician must sign. I'd start with an evaluation at your closest large rehab center which has RESNA certified therapists. (KLD)
      Thank you! I hit "like" button and it shows unlike. Guess I don't know how work buttons. "Sorry".
      Well I had doctor appointment today and talked with Primary Doctor. He said he would check in what he could find out and call us later this week. Guess things changed in last 10 years.
      Anyway, he said he's had patients having problems getting even daily use items like catheters, diapers and several other items. He said he's having do "Face-to-Face" orders to get them.

Do I need find DME first or one of those RESNA therapist? I have no clue.
      Before my doctor just wrote up combo letter/justification for chair and seating system then give me a copy I'd give it to my old DME. I didn't know what happened next with paperwork. DME have Rep bring what chairs we were interested in demo.
      Use be in month they bring out new chair or when got H-Frame Bounders it took longer but DME said they built it when order was placed.
      I go back to Rheumatologist first of Aug and Neurologist later next month. Would it help get anything from them?
      Thank you for responding and the information.
      "Thanks"

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
        SCI-Nurse commented
        Editing a comment
        When you click the "like" button it changes to "unlike" so you have the option to do that later. Only you see "unlike" if you clicked "like".
        As I said above, start out with a physician referral to a therapist (PT or OT) who is RESNA certified rather than starting with the DME. A good therapist will do the evaluation and then refer you to a DME who can do a demo with the chair the therapist thinks is best for you, and the therapist will write the "letter of medical justification" which serves as the prescription for the specific chair and features. (KLD)

SCI-Nurse, Thank you, again! When doctor's nurse calls will bring it up with her. Usually it takes acouple days for all our lab work results get back before she calls.

Comment

Hey Mike we go way back to WCJ days hit me up if you two need help

Depending who you have for Medicare, Medicaid determines the DME you need to use

I can walk you through it plus cut out a lot of wasted time

email me @ rollinpositive@gmail.com

FYI To you and anyone else looking for a power chair.

Pick the brand and the model you want not one that someone pushes you too

People need to know commissions are paid and that dictates behavior some DMEs wont even entertain the idea of selling certain manufactures because the commission is lower

One reason Pride use to be the leader they paid the highest commissions per unit sold

Their chairs are junk!

Comment

Thank you for reply and offer, I appreciate it. Been off internet a bit. Test results at primary doc was off, so had more tests at hospital. Pretty much whapped me. Been resting up for followup in couple days.

Comment

Thought update this posting, maybe others out there that hadn't replaced their chairs in 10 years. I planned recoup before starting process of new chair.
            I was suppose have followup today with my normal cardiologist, but they called to postpone, he had patient needed surgery. Anyway, I understood that, a different cardiologist done my heart cath last week.
            So, I called DME that replaced batteries last year on our old chairs, they were only ones around here that would work on chairs gotten from other DME's. Guess be waiting til they first check our new, to us Medicare Advantage plans.
            Thanks for reading.

Comment

MikeP2020 Medicare Advantage are no different then regular insurance plans...just have your doc write a rx for the batteries and be specific on type, size and pay the extra for MK

Have them fax the paper work to your DME attention to the person you are working with an follow up to make sure they get the paper work.

Everyone needs to do this every year on your 11th month because it takes about 30 days to get the batteries

Medicare/Medicaid covers a new set every year and a new chair every 5 years

Dont listen to anyone if they tell you 5 years is no longer a metric

Also Medicare Advantage all give you reimbursement for dental, eye glasses and eye exams

Comment

Just following up on our quest for new chairs and seating. Yesterday DME called we they verified our insurance.
                Got call from our primary doc's office asking if we had contacted this DME. She said they got fax from DME and wanted check with us before doing referral for evaluations for Mama and I.
                At least it's a start, I guess.

Comment

On your way let me know if you need help...

Which chairs are you looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by RollinPositive View Post
                    On your way let me know if you need help...

Which chairs are you looking at?
                    Thanks! Talked with DME today and they said they were waiting on doc to do referral for seating evaluation.
                    Will call doc office in morning to follow-up on it. Since doc's office called us last week about getting fax from DME figured we might just be getting run around yet again.
                    Mama and I are pretty much just wait and see if anything actually happens with DME doing anything. Last time pretty much broke us from planning/researching equipment.

Comment

Don’t give up. It sounds like you have had a tough time before. ckf
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

CKF, Thank you!
                        Left message for our primary doc's nurse this morning about fax DME had sent and she called back this afternoon. She had been off since talked with her last week and said everything was ready for our doc to sign off on and do referral. He's still off til next week. I called DME and let them know what was happening.
                        Thanks!

Comment

Keep up the advocacy! It is something that only you can do!
                          ckf

Comment

Originally posted by MikeP2020 View Post
                            Mike a big thing for me is email...email gives you a digital footprint of what is said and promised and also shows when some is not being accountable

Also never sit and "wait" this industry from manufactures to DMEs (companies that sell power wheelchairs) ATP's (those that are licensed to sell chairs)
                            PT's and OT's all need a refresher course on Customer Experience

A lot of them act like they are doing us a favor but so many of our community become so passive and we dont understand this is a multimillion dollar business and its there job

Many of our chairs retail at $40,000 to $80,000 plus that is the cost of a luxury car.

Can you imagine going in to a BMW or Porsche dealers giving $50,000 and then waiting up to a year to get your car...Of course not so speak up and speak often

I just advocated for two people with Preferred Homecare and with NuMotion both chairs got approved with all power options from seat elevation, lights, tilt and recline, USB chargers etc 90 days.

NuMotions chair gets delivered tomorrow and Preferred chair is delayed due to the DME but we have the CEO's involved from United Healthcare and Mercycare (Aetna)

keep us posted...make sure you demo a few models and manufactures a lot has changed since your last chairs

Dont feel a need that you two also have to buy the same chair as your needs may be different

Comment

Working...
                            X