Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catheter disinfectant spray

Hey guys

I have a Cath and am switching between night bags and day bags. I normally use a alcohol wipe on the outside of the connection and use Mircocyn AH to spray on the inside and clean that out before booking up.

The price of Microcyn has doubled from the last time I bought some. Are there other disinfecting sprays we can use that are cheaper. I see the normal cleaning antibacterial disinfectant sprays but don’t think they are safe to use with catheters I imagine.

any other sprays out there that are affordable?? Would a alcohol spray be safe for that kinda thing???
    Last edited by dewie27; 27 Jun 2022, 10:23 PM.
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

When I got hurt they put my used cather in water and alcohol
    Art

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      Long outdated. (KLD)

Originally posted by Art454 View Post
    When I got hurt they put my used cather in water and alcohol
    Sensible.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      For intermittent cath, this can lead to pretty bad urethritis. (KLD)

Sorry I should have mentioned I have a indwelling foley Cath (I wish the in and out Caths worked for me!). But just switching between the leg bag and nighttime bag I clean the tips before connecting my cath.

I can use alcohol wipes for the outside but use Microcyn for the inside.

so that’s why I’m looking for another spray cheaper than Microcyn AH.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      You should not be touching or spraying anything into the inside of your catheter. In fact, you should not be disconnecting it at all. Leave your leg bag on 24/7 and at night attach your bedside bag to the drain port of your leg bag. A closed system is always best. (KLD)

Really KLD? No Dr has ever told me that? And the tip of my leg bag is a hard smooth plastic tip and the bed bag is a hard plastic ribbed tip and neither will fit together. I get what your saying about the closed system keeping bugs out but don’t see how it will connect and makes for more connections and bigger chance of disconnecting and leaking all night long.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      You have to usually use some tubing to connect the two. We usually used the extra length of tubing from the leg bag. Never had a problem with leakage. This has been taught at leading SCI centers for at least 8 years now, and is consistent with CDC guidelines on use of long-term indwelling catheters. Doctors are often out of date on infection control issues...nurses are the experts. (KLD)
Working...
X