Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-coating hand-rims (Vinyl, rubber coating)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-coating hand-rims (Vinyl, rubber coating)

Has anyone re-coated their vinyl coated hand-rims themselves? I am trying to find somewhere local but without success, thus far. I know places like, Home Depot, etc., sell products that coat in similar manner, but concerned it isn't as durable.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Remove the push rims and send them off for treatment?
    This type of process Brian? https://www.wrightcoating.com/contact-us

https://www.iqsdirectory.com/plastis...ting/michigan/

https://www.thomasnet.com/michigan/p...5880370-1.html

Comment

Thank you slow_runner for your search inquiries.

Wright was the first place I contacted but they turned me down as the project is to small; they referenced me to someone else, which in checking with them they don't do it.

The other searches you have, I have similar searches on my desk top; while I haven't had success, at this point, in Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids is a much bigger city and not "that far" away if I have to, which those searches link to.

I do have the hand-rims removed and ready.

Thank you again sr, much appreciate your looking.

Comment

It is a shame that Wrights are too big to be bothered with short runs and specials
        Check out the Hot Rod / car businesses that deal in coatings. They will handle short runs and one offs. Our ones do.....

Comment

I didn't find anyone in SW Michigan when I was calling around -- I don't have any idea what the recoating would cost if you found someone who would do it, would it be cheaper than replacement?

I struggled with this for a long time, I'd end up getting a cut in the coating right away and I'd try and baby it but they always ended up shredding.

This isn't an answer to your question, but it's one of the reasons I switched to the Surge rims -- I had to save up out of pocket, but with the "grip" texture only being on the top of the rim I haven't nicked it yet. But then again, if you do, they don't replace just that piece so you're out a set of expensive rims.

Comment

Originally posted by darkling View Post
            I didn't find anyone in SW Michigan when I was calling around -- I don't have any idea what the recoating would cost if you found someone who would do it, would it be cheaper than replacement?

I struggled with this for a long time, I'd end up getting a cut in the coating right away and I'd try and baby it but they always ended up shredding.

This isn't an answer to your question, but it's one of the reasons I switched to the Surge rims -- I had to save up out of pocket, but with the "grip" texture only being on the top of the rim I haven't nicked it yet. But then again, if you do, they don't replace just that piece so you're out a set of expensive rims.
            For the record, these are custom made projection hand-rims; while I could possibly order another new set, I was hoping not to. I have found a place in Grand Rapids that says they will do it and I plan on it right now. It isn't cheap, if I understand their response it will be $250 per hand-rim to strip the old and re-coat. I am not sure I paid that much for them new, but I am very curious if I can get a more durable coating with these people. S&C Plastic Coating.

Comment

• endo_aftermath
              endo_aftermath commented
              Editing a comment
              You are almost certainly right that the tool handle coating (Plasti Dip) won't be durable enough. But before you spend hundreds of dollars, for about 10 bucks you could give Plasti Dip a test. Of course that means you have to strip your rim first. If you can use rims without projections (just well enough for a test) coating std rims could be educational. Most chair users have a set of those laying around. I have some you're welcome to, but I'm far away.

I Have a pair of vinyl coated handrims, never used, off a set of spinergy wheels. If anyone wants them you will just pay shipping. Let me know.

Or, if you feel you have too much money we can work out a different arrangment. 🤣

Comment

I would love to have them as long as they are 24"s

Comment

Originally posted by hammerx View Post
                I would love to have them as long as they are 24"s
                PM me with mailing info.

Comment

Never tried it on hand rims but this stuff works pretty well and easy to buy: https://plastidip.com/

Comment

I’ve tried plastic dip and flex seal, neither is worth a damn.

Comment

I did get mine re-coated locally by, S&C Plastic Coating in Grand Rapids, MI. It cost $400. It was nice being able to talk to the owner when I dropped them off, being able to explain my desires.

He primed these before coating, which he says makes the coating adhere much better, so if a tear were to occur, it will not peel. I also explained I wanted something durable so he used his hardest coating he has, according to a durometer, I did not ask what that hardness was.

I picked them up a couple days ago and will install them when my new chair arrives.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
                        ...when my new chair arrives.
                        Hi Brian, may I ask what make/model are you getting, please? I ask because awhile back you greatly assisted me in deciding which chair to get (the TiLite), and I might have to upgrade my decision. Thanks a lot bro!

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanWheeler76 View Post

Hi Brian, may I ask what make/model are you getting, please? I ask because awhile back you greatly assisted me in deciding which chair to get (the TiLite), and I might have to upgrade my decision. Thanks a lot bro!
                          Another TiLite TR. Are you looking to purchase a new chair as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post

Another TiLite TR. Are you looking to purchase a new chair as well?
                            Yes, hopefully sometime this year. I was supposed to have gotten that TiLite a couple of years back during the time you recommended it for me, but I got sidetracked. Then the pandemic hit us and pushed things back again.

Comment

Working...
                            X