Strapstand issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strapstand issue.

There was a window in this Auckland covid lockdown and at long last ( ordered July 2021 ) I was able to take delivery of my new Strapstand in December. It was assembled in the lounge and the tech(?) was having difficulty getting the table to slide on the rails.
    Solution! So, digging in his toolkit, out with the silicone spray and a decent application. Well, I am no fan of silicone and its long term consequence.
    This has proved to be true because no matter how tight the table clamp is adjusted and applied, the table will move forward with any slight force applied to it. The clamp is a weak design IMO relies on the friction coefficient to achieve stability in location; the application of silicone by the tech has screwed that up. That my posture is yet to improve due to my shortened leg muscles, this will be ongoing with my upper body pressuring against the table. The silicone allows the table to move with the slightest force acting against it.
    The 'lurching forward' of the table continued so a replacement angle adjustable table was loaned while mine returned to base. For what I am unsure, because my understanding is the silicone will persist with its lubricating. Not what I want.
    I had attempted a fix by wiping down with generous application of Isopropyl alcohol without effect.

My suggestion for a fix was to use purpose distance pieces on the guide rails and this is what the distributor is now advocating - the problem with that fix is that as my posture improves I will need to change/reduce the distance pieces. Also, I have a friend or two who sometimes make use of my frame when they visit. Adjustability is required.
    I have considered fitting locking collars on the rails but they may damage the sliding surfaces and I cannot recall if there is enough clearance for such an item?

Are there any methods of ridding this cursed substance from the plastic/nylon clamp material? Help 😢
    Last edited by slow_runner; 12 Jan 2022, 9:07 AM.

Acetone breaks down silicone.

Comment

Originally posted by smity50 View Post
      Acetone breaks down silicone.
      Thanks Smity, good to hear from you; it works well on some plastics so what effect will it have on the plastic composition used on the Strapstand? A test spot is required?

How is the trike progressing?

Last edited by slow_runner; 12 Jan 2022, 9:04 AM.

Comment

Definitely will damage some plastics. Trike is great but I think I'm too old to progress. I'm just trying not to wither away.

Comment

Working...
        X