Standing frame advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing frame advice

I have the older style EasyStand 5000 with fixed knee brace. I thought I was actually standing in this thing but after a pandemic year of not doing any pool walking, I found that not only did I weaken, which is to be expected, but my proprioception evaporated. Were I actually standing, shouldn’t proprioception remain? Finally after being back in the pool since last April, my proprioception is finally back. It took months for my feet to accept the concept of touching the pool bottom and within the past couple of months I’m able to do some walking. Recently I’ve added standing outside the pool. After I get out, I switch to a padded floor gym with some huge contraption that I think is for stretching. It’s got loads of very sturdy loop handles at every height so it’s perfect for pulling up into a very brief stand. My proprioception is now back. I can’t do much but I’m doing more than I was a year ago. Weightbearing now feels “reasonable” and the impediment is just weakness. I loathed the feeling that it was an alien, inappropriate thing.

So my question:

Do I need an adjustable knee standing frame? Is that the difference to maintaining proprioception? Is an adjustable knee frame even practical if my knees will collapse in a minute or two? I assume you can’t tighten the knees without lowering yourself down and starting all over?
    My other thought is maybe my frame is just too small so I’m not quite weightbearing. I was exactly on the cusp of the two sizes and have the smaller one.
    Last edited by Sheri; 11 Jan 2022, 10:46 PM. Reason: To correct current model

I'd love to give you any answers but this sounds like a great conversation with your physical therapist

Comment

History has taught me to figure it out on my own. It wasn’t a PT that directed me to even getting my current frame. I haven’t been lucky with proactive medical or therapy help over these 26 years of illness. Almost everyone has only fixed (except when they haven’t) just what’s “broke” but done nothing beyond that. I wonder if because MS is a drift into disability, there’s no one ever giving you the toolkit you need. I’ve learned tons from this website that I think should have come from my docs and therapists. I hope everyone else has had better luck.

Comment

Working...
      X