EV trucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EV trucks?

I’ve been keeping my eye on the EV market, particularly curious when we might see a minivan come out that could be converted for wheelchairs, and in particular for quads. Seems like the rest of the world will be in electric cars before we are, despite the fact that so many of us ride around in electric chairs already, ha ha! Too bad, as it seems to me that a plug-in electric cord would be a heck of a lot easier for us to manage independently than a gas pump!

Doesn’t seem like the industry is as keen on minivans as other types of cars. Case in point, there seem to be a ton of EV trucks coming out right now. Has anyone heard of a conversion for one of them? I know that truck lovers seem to think the world of them, even quads (they all seem to get mechanical transfer seats combined with those ridiculous crane systems to put the chair in the truck bed). Or a lift system and they drive from the chair. Can’t think of a reason why the EV version of a truck wouldn’t be as well-suited to conversion as the gas version.

Alternatively, any other EVs on the market that might be especially attractive to quads that drive? All the EV cars I’ve seen seem like they’d be tough transfers and challenging wheelchair breakdowns for quads. Too bad, because I hear the Tesla is a hell of a fun drive.
    C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Originally posted by ejl10 View Post
    Can’t think of a reason why the EV version of a truck wouldn’t be as well-suited to conversion as the gas version.
    I definitely have no idea what I'm talking about as I've never had or converted or looked into converting a truck, though I've seen some of the conversions online in passing.

Those ones where the front and back door come off as a unit so that the driver's seat can swing down to scoop you up, I imagine they pretty much all require some kind of welding/fabrication to be done to the floor. Isn't the floor of an EV pretty much solid batteries? I'd think if you had to weld on that or relocate some of the batteries you're going to significantly increase the cost of the conversion. But again this is me with exactly zero idea of what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post

I definitely have no idea what I'm talking about as I've never had or converted or looked into converting a truck, though I've seen some of the conversions online in passing.

Those ones where the front and back door come off as a unit so that the driver's seat can swing down to scoop you up, I imagine they pretty much all require some kind of welding/fabrication to be done to the floor. Isn't the floor of an EV pretty much solid batteries? I'd think if you had to weld on that or relocate some of the batteries you're going to significantly increase the cost of the conversion. But again this is me with exactly zero idea of what I'm talking about.
      Yeah, I’d say you’re probably right. But given that people are spending $100,000 on a pick up truck already, I’ve got to imagine that a little extra cost isn’t going to stop anyone!

Comment

Braun has a hybrid Toyota Sienna conversion van already. I wasn't sure that was even possible, but I guess a mixture of gas and batteries gives enough room to lower the floor. Hopefully the true EV market isn't too far away for us.
        "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Originally posted by McDuff View Post
          Braun has a hybrid Toyota Sienna conversion van already. I wasn't sure that was even possible, but I guess a mixture of gas and batteries gives enough room to lower the floor. Hopefully the true EV market isn't too far away for us.
          Here’s hoping! It’s not that I hate trucks, but I sure do love my minivan. 😂

Comment

Someone threw a speedy-lift in a Tesla Model X

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=341598850351902&_rdr
            Last edited by juniorsenior; 10 Jan 2022, 6:23 PM.

Comment

So here’s the problem I see with the ev’s and converting them. I don’t think the floor is low enough because of the batteries and I don’t think it’s possible to delete some of them for the lift. I have a truck by atconversions.com and I love it. I hope I’m wrong about moving some of the batteries

Comment

• juniorsenior
                juniorsenior commented
                Editing a comment
                raise the roof just like the conversion vans. but of course then you're using a lift and not a ramp

Originally posted by juniosenior View Post
              raise the roof just like the conversion vans. but of course then you're using a lift and not a ramp
              Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Everyone in trucks seems to use a lift, anyway, except for the strong paras that can transfer up into it.

Comment

Raising the roof alone won’t work. Unless you don’t plan to drive. You need the lowered floor to get the chair in.

Comment

Originally posted by Vike View Post
                  Raising the roof alone won’t work. Unless you don’t plan to drive. You need the lowered floor to get the chair in.
                  Yeah, I think that’s the implication of raising the roof. Really, the idea is probably best expressed as raising the entire body of the truck to make room for the batteries and maintain ground clearance. Hence the need for the lift, unless you’re a whole hell of a lot stronger than I am ha ha!

Comment

Working...
                  X