Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prefilled syringes, filling Foley balloons, sterile water vs saline/sodium chloride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prefilled syringes, filling Foley balloons, sterile water vs saline/sodium chloride?

Hello everyone,
    I have to buy some prefilled syringes for filling the balloons in Foley catheters. I bought the syringes I had been using a long time ago and forgot where I bought them. I noticed on the side it says "0.9% sodium chloride injection". When I did a Google search for prefilled syringes, I noticed some are filled with sterile water, some saline solution and others sodium chloride. I'm assuming the last 2 are the same thing? Is the saline/sodium chloride better than sterile water? I also noticed the wrapper on one of my syringes says "do not place syringe on sterile field" and most of the ads for prefilled syringes say "nonsterile" on them. I'm assuming the sterile is for situations like surgery? The sterile syringes are more than twice the price of nonsterile. Also, can someone recommend a good online seller for these 10 mL prefilled syringes? Thanks!

Dan
    Dan G. in CT

I have the same question. A sterile syringe comes in each catheter insertion kit (price $3-4?). But after 3 weeks, I like to add 2 cc (because the balloon deflates a little). I currently use the old syringe, which is of course no longer sterile, to add the 2 cc. I think it's probably ok. But some kits come with a 30 cc syringe, and I want to buy 10 cc pre-filled syringes because they are calibrated every cc instead of every 5 cc's.
    "Cherish your tears. If you can cry, you still have some humanity left, and you are reclaiming more of it." -- David Kelly

Comment

Sterile water is better than NS 0.9% for this purpose.

As long as the solution is sterile, you don't have to have syringe where the outside of the syringe is sterile (which is needed if the syringe is used or touched with sterile gloves before catheter insertion).

You may find it difficult to purchase these in small amounts, as most are packaged for hospitals and medical offices. Be aware that the sterility of the water may give a fairly short expiration date to these, after which the solution may no longer be sterile. You may also need a prescription since you are purchasing syringes, even without a needle.

Here is a site where you can obtain 30 unit boxes: https://www.saveritemedical.com/prod...MaArrIEALw_wcB

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
      X