Out-Front Compact Composite Scissor Lock Wheel Locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out-Front Compact Composite Scissor Lock Wheel Locks

My new Tilite GX2 is less than 3 months old and I've already busted both the left and right side brakes. I like the design just wish they would made out of better material (metal). They both broke at the same place. NuMotion is sending out replacements, but having a chair without brakes sucks. I'm looking into disc brakes brakes but getting price shock.
    Attached Files
    T12 Complete since 1982. TiLite Tx

That is one hell of a result there Rshadd.
    I have used those composite scissor lock brakes, and the Melrose version, on my chairs for going on 8-10 years without any breakage. I have had one spring break on me and one set that endured long enough they developed worn pivot / rivets but they still functioned well. Even the one with the broken spring never gave me grief like I have read of others experiences.

If this makes any difference, I do not know for absolute; When setting them up, I ensure that my tyres are fully inflated before ensuring my brakes are oriented square to the tyre and are not 'loaded' excessively. When applying the brakes and when releasing them, I attempt to do so square to the pivot; not pushing down or up, which would cause loads on the pivot and the material.
    I suspect that some release the brakes with a vigorous push down and in similar fashion when applying he brakes. I am not sure that would explain breakage as in your examples.

Comment

I don't like any slippage when the brakes are on, so they are certainly stressed a lot when engaged. Brakes were adjusted by NuMotion when I picked up the chair. Tires were spongy feeling, so I took the Marathon Plus tires up to 110psi. This is my third chair with these brakes any only had one fail in all those years. I least I've have spare parts, while I'm waiting for the replacements to arrive. At least they're covered under warranty for now.

Comment

I had my brake fail the same exact way. It lasted a little over a year and a half before the first one went.

Comment

They've been Ok for me so far, just over 2 years using, knock on wood. I run my Marathons pretty well topped off at 145psi, but also don't have the wheel locks setup very tightly. With a little "snap" into place, easy enough just a flick with one finger to release, seems to work well for me. No slippage, etc. I think they might slip if I wasn't as consistent about pumping my tires up though, once they leaked down a bit.
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I have had the same issue with Out-Front brakes for years I have broke them and replaced them so many times, very frustrating! I finally found these brakes to replace the Out_Fronts and they have held up great so far, no plastic! https://wheelchairbearings.com/produ...-durable-metal

Comment

Originally posted by GinoL View Post
              I have had the same issue with Out-Front brakes for years I have broke them and replaced them so many times, very frustrating! I finally found these brakes to replace the Out_Fronts and they have held up great so far, no plastic! https://wheelchairbearings.com/produ...-durable-metal
              Wow. And they're ~$20 cheaper than TiLite's retail DME price for the plastic ones. That's crazy. I'm sure a DME would discount that, for a cash transaction, but most will be covered by insurance, so that might be moot. Nice find!
              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Thank you! Just ordered them.

Comment

They are Nice! Thanks GinoL.
                  That bundle price of $160 for clamps and calipers is real sweet too. I'm going to checkout their Fbook site later this evening
                  Last edited by slow_runner; 28 Sep 2021, 1:49 PM.

Comment

Same here, thanks. I have Tilite push to lock, and they have been giving me fits lately. A couple of the hinge bolts keep loosening up, gotta tighten every day. Figure I'll give these a try.
                    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

I know you've already ordered some rshadd, but for anyone else that sees this post, Hands on Concepts makes a lot of things most people probably don't know about, including aluminum scissor lock brakes. They even make single sided carbon fiber forks. Not sure what their prices are but may be worth checking out. The quality will be top notch (I have one of their chairs).
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-29 073003.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	2913571

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-29 072827.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	2913572

Comment

Except for the Eagle icon & vernier, both the Eagle & HOC look identical. Made in USA or Asian origin?

Comment

Yea you're right, I just assumed HOC made them. But they do look like the Eagle. Looking back at older posts of theirs I came across this from 2019 that they made that looks like an earlier version:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwSK617B...dium=copy_link

Comment

I received my new metal brakes yesterday and they look and feel great. Thought I'd snap a few pics to compare the new Eagles to Out-Front.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Got mine too. Tried to install, found out that the space that Tilite puts in between the seat straps, doesn't work for these brakes. I am gonna have to move one seat strap to free up the frame area, where these will work. I run skinny solid tires and they make for a smaller diameter, and these brakes can't get far enough back to lock the tire, using the currently open frame spot. It's always sumthin'....
                              "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

• juniorsenior
                                juniorsenior commented
                                Editing a comment
                                care to sell?

• McDuff
                                McDuff commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Nah, not yet, gonna see if I can move the seat strap to get these to work. My old brakes are worn out.
                            Working...
                            X