Installing Freewheel on adjustable angle footplate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Freewheel on adjustable angle footplate

After 10+ years of using a Freewheel on an angle adjustable footplate, finally had one rotate on me.

So, I decided to follow the instructions and screw the footplate together.

5/32" pilot, #10-32 1/2" self tapping sheet metal screws, and medium strength loctite.

The 10 minutes of effort is worth it. A freewheel dropping the casters to the ground unexpectedly can cause issues. To put it lightly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AD27D192-B352-4928-AE11-ED95B372EEC9.jpeg Views:	6 Size:	259.6 KB ID:	2913402

Click image for larger version  Name:	71DBC9EB-91F8-4192-BCA7-D90FEBFA94A4.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	328.7 KB ID:	2913408

Bonus pics of my favorite chair lighting, while I was down there:

Click image for larger version  Name:	F499A28E-3282-43CD-A324-5BE9BB091211.jpeg Views:	6 Size:	249.8 KB ID:	2913404

Click image for larger version  Name:	0E17B405-C4CB-4A33-B385-E828AB481FAC.jpeg Views:	6 Size:	333.8 KB ID:	2913403

Edit: (Olight SR2 Baton II, and an OLight bicycle handle bar mount.)

Last edited by Oddity; 24 Sep 2021, 7:53 AM.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

You're putting your faith in two Tek screws Odd? That seems like a temporary measure at most as IMO the screws will eventually tear the footplate tubes. Why not hit for a full footplate support or get the original altered with a footplate extension/support, by a local fabricator?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 24 Sep 2021, 5:43 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I dunno. These are just the Freewheel manufacturer's instructions that I followed.
      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
        Yeah, I dunno. These are just the Freewheel manufacturer's instructions that I followed.
        From memory, your chair is aluminium and the footplate support would be also(?).
        The moment is at the footplate clamp, the torsional load force is at the rear of the footplate. Nothing has changed except that the clamping force has some assistance by way of the Tek screws; following that mod and assuming it is long lasting, how long will the aluminium footplate cope with the load- something will give. I have never been keen on how the Freewheel relies on that thin structure to carry the static and dynamic forces.
        Am I overthinking it? Probably ...

Comment

Me, I'm surprised that the plate didn't slip earlier with no pins through the tube!
          I had a brief relationship with a Freewheel before selling it, and I put the screws into the plate begrudgingly figuring that eventually they would beat up the aluminum tube they were through.
          Because the aluminum footplate is so different from my old TiSport one, and the geometry is similar, I ordered a new ti footplate for the aluminum POS chair that I hate I got through Medicare!! So I can use a sturdier mounting setup on both my scooter-chair trike kits, https://www.carecure.net/forum/sci-c...mph-wheelchair
          and not have to work around the big clamping fixture on the POS chair's footplate.
          I still haven't installed the replacement footplate but can't see it not fitting.
          69yo male T12 complete since 1995
          NW NJ

Comment

I screwed my old Tilite adjustable footplate down for my freewheel like Oddity and it never moved again. For what it's worth.

Comment

Working...
            X