Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need elevated toilet seat (5") & in-home OT for transfer training

Hi- I have a few related questions, assume Care Forum is correct forum:
    1)I have progressive MS, diagnosed 97, in wc since about 2007, I'm to the point where I need to transfer to the commode for BM for safety, had a fall a week ago (second in a month). Watched Youtube for transfer advice videos but knew I needed the proper OT training for the transfer and T-Seat recommendation, the height difference of my toilet is 5" below my WC, I kind of transferred in but could not transfer back because of the height and very stressed out to a]fall again.
    2- I quickly found an agency who sent a PT for transfer training advice (OT was unavailable) and recommended to buy a 5" raised T-Seat and recommended a transfer advice, the seat I bought site unseen from a local pharmacy who delivered it is still to far from my chair, dimensions: 15.75w x 16"d x 5" h, seat opening 9.5x9.5" (too narrow for me even though I am avg size).
    3- then they sent an OT as a follow-up 2 days later to further advise on transfer strategy and also recommended to buy a slide board, recommended a 31" board from Amazon,
    4- The same OT returned 2 days later, the board arrived before his visit but was way too long- he was a good guy but re strategy & MS Patient WC experience just OK, he never worked with a MS WC patient and had no experience of recommendation of the correct seat for safety, and best advice was look on amazon for better t-seat and made a recommendation to buy a shorter board after we realized the board was too long at second session...... ..

Needs: I need an experienced OT who does home visits, I am in the Montclair NJ area, Kessler Rehab Hospital is next town over but their OT's do not do home visits. any ideas? Also would appreciate a web site recommendation for the raised Toilet Seat...... Thanks in advance, Daniel....
    Making soup out of mud

For years, until my colostomy. I used and highly recommend a NuProducts seat. It is constructed to aerospace standards of aluminum and stainless fittings and hardware. It has a pair of easily flipped (and removed) tubular arm rests. It's very stable and easy to transfer onto, unlike a naked raised toilet. The legs are telescopic and height adjustable. It all breaks down in short order and can be put in a travel bag when you go away which is great because accessible motel rooms don't really exist!
    It's not cheap, but I rate it a great investment.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

• picasso
      picasso commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks PFCS49!..... Sending good thoughts your way, I do a search on it!!

Telehealth calls are all the thing now. Kessler can't do a telehealth video conference with you at home? And get someone to do measurements?

You've tried home health care OT and that didn't work, but I'm surprised they couldn't get appropriate measurements to get you the correct home medical equipment.

Maybe Kessler could make some recommendations for an OT or rehab facility closer to your house?

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• picasso
      picasso commented
      Editing a comment
      TY! To your point have another call into the WC clinic (where I went originally for my WC measurements) waiting to hear back....

While you are exploring an OT, have you researched a taller toilet? Husband and I are both paralyzed and have two toilets that are the 'handicapped' height ones. (Can measure height if needed). On my toilet I also have a padded toilet seat and separate arm rests that are easily attached on the bolts for the toilet seat. Suggest you start by measuring the height you want for easy transfer.
    You may not need a transfer board if you can get close enough for a slide transfer, with you sliding from the side of your wheelchair at an angle, not the front. (Talcum powder helps). Shorter transfer boards are available. Mine is made by ADI (512-715-9995, stealthproducts.com). They make 3 sizes and I have the short one, approximately 21", and the middle size one. I do not use a transfer board for toilet (yet). I have ordered a Dolphin board (try googling it to see as it's different).
    Are you able to transfer to bed?

Comment

• picasso
      picasso commented
      Editing a comment
      Good insight: I have a call into a plumber; for either a base to make my existing toilet taller (mine is really short 14-15") or new entire toilet... the height of my wc seat is 21-22". Perfect world for now: If I can find a 5" height seat but wider/longer front to back and I do transfer easilly to my bed by pulling up parallel alongside ...... Thank You!

Just adding that my husband has an "elongated" toilet seat on his toilet. The package the toilet seat comes in would state whether it's elongated. That is, the actual opening of the toilet seat is larger in depth than a standard one.
    If you go with a new toilet, I don't know if they have "elongated" toilets....maybe try Googling that.
    Make sure plumber knows height you need once toilet SEAT is in place. He/she should be able to help.

Comment

• picasso
      picasso commented
      Editing a comment
      TY! all great points.... Daniel

16.5" round or elongated comfort height toilets are common and found everywhere. 17" can also be found. Centoco seats 2" or 3" round or elongated are easily found and just look like a regular seat. Maybe this will work for you.

Comment

• picasso
      picasso commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank You!

I also have progressive MS. Lost stand and pivot transfers a couple years ago and now do only lateral transfers using my hands, knuckles down so as not to wreck wrists. I’ve loved this bedside commode for many years and now put a second over the toilet for BP. Either arm easily goes up and down. Very sturdy and padded.

https://www.amazon.com/Medline-Heavy...2349614&sr=8-6

Id be happy to walk you through if you’d like. PM me.

Certainly, tho, get an ot into your environment asap. They often have ingenious solutions.
    Last edited by Sheri; 22 Sep 2021, 6:51 PM.

Comment

• picasso
      picasso commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much Sheri, I will consider this option..... sending good thoughts to you!

The above linked seat is very much like the NuProdix (sp?) seat I mentioned before except that the NP seat will last forever, is much more attractive, has swing up/removeable arms, and has an excellent, removable cushion which can be purchased from the company. (after ~9years, my cushion developed a small split and replacement was easy)
    Being able to remove one arm makes transferring much easier. It goes back on very easily/quickly.
    Did you guess I like this product? I like things that are as functional as you could engineer them to be, that are attractive, that are serviceable, and last forever. Kind of like many things we don't have many more. Buy cheap and discard in 4? years. I got a colostomy in 2012 and gave the NP seat to a quad friend. He's still using it! It's around 30 years old I think.
    Last edited by pfcs49; 23 Sep 2021, 4:25 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

This is only 3 1/2 inches but it doesn’t affect the seat at all.
      https://www.amazon.com/Toilevator-Ra...s%2C368&sr=8-4

Comment

Considerations for raising the toilet or using a over-toilet commode include whether or not you need to be able to get your hand under the seat for bowel care/cleanup. Also, if you are short, and need to have feet planted firmly to maintain balance, that may need to be considered. My mother (who had MS) fell from a ADA height toilet at a hotel while self-cathing, and broke both femurs because she didn't have her feet supported.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• picasso
          picasso commented
          Editing a comment
          KLD: i'm v sry to hear that about your Mom, Im almost 6', my height works for the set up, feet firmly planted on floor.... TY
      Working...
      X