Handcycle recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handcycle recommendation

Hello! I am looking to purchase a handcycle and would love some advice. I have T12 injury and have been paralyzed for 9 years. I want a pretty basic bike (think beach cruiser) for leisurely bike rides. I would prefer something with a seat similar in height to a wheelchair to make transfers easy. I also would like it to be reasonably priced as this is just for fun and some exercise. Thank you!

best bike out there is stricker john is on here hooks to ur chair off you go

Comment

100% agree with vjls . . . go with a Stricker. Go to Bikeon.com and work with John. I bought one last year and I could not be happier.

Comment

John doesn't work at Bike-On any longer. He is at https://www.rollinginparadise.com.
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I've been riding handcycles going on 47 years now. Depends on what you want to do. Attachables are good if going with a Stricker. There's also off road hand cycles and recumbents. Being a T12 I suggest a recumbent if you want to train and go fast. I own both a recumbent and recently bought a Stricker from John. Actually on my second one after the electric went out didn't get much customer service recommendations from Germany. John was terrific though and did the best he could to get satisfaction.

I have a very upgraded Freedom Ryder FRH1 with a Road Race power assist plus bike rack, and all kinds of assorted accessories I'm about to put up for sale. Not going to ship anywhere because of the logistics shipping everything. I live in Blaine, Washingto.

Comment

Whoops, just reread you post Momof4; Yep for a leisurely ride, a Stricker would be ideal for you as long as you are on good roads etc.. They have both non powered assist and powered assist. Of all the attachables I've tried thru the many years, the Stricker, by far, has been the most efficient attachable I've ridden. So much so, I am finally going to sell my recumbent and just ride the Stricker. Can't believe after so many years of riding, I'm actually selling off my last recumbent and riding an attachable. It is really nice to ride somewhere, detach the bike and be in my manual chair.

Comment

The bikes that attach to the front of one's chair did not work for me as I had to do some frustrating wrangling to get the attachments done. I believe there are videos on line, utube? that show how you attach it. Prior to getting involved in road racing I was using a "leisure" type bike that was practically at the seat level of my wheelchair, and easy to transfer to. It had two bike wheels in the rear and one in front. Not really intended for speed. It had several gears.
              Hope you find something - it's great fun.

Comment

Originally posted by hugheswf View Post
                100% agree with vjls . . . go with a Stricker. Go to Bikeon.com and work with John. I bought one last year and I could not be happier.
                we left bike-on and opened our own company. we are 100% disabled owned and operated.

For ease-of-use the attachable striker is definitely the best set up. If you're wanting to do off-road or beach cruising I would look at one of the Maddiline offerings.
                ​​​​​​https://www.rollinginparadise.com/st...able-handbikes

​​​​​​https://www.rollinginparadise.com/maddiline

I have a lot of good videos here of both units in action
                ​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/user/fuentejps/videos
                Sales@rollinginparadise.com

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                  John doesn't work at Bike-On any longer. He is at https://www.rollinginparadise.com.
                  thank you Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                    Whoops, just reread you post Momof4; Yep for a leisurely ride, a Stricker would be ideal for you as long as you are on good roads etc.. They have both non powered assist and powered assist. Of all the attachables I've tried thru the many years, the Stricker, by far, has been the most efficient attachable I've ridden. So much so, I am finally going to sell my recumbent and just ride the Stricker. Can't believe after so many years of riding, I'm actually selling off my last recumbent and riding an attachable. It is really nice to ride somewhere, detach the bike and be in my manual chair.
                    awesome Pat. We are the North American distributor for Stricker now. we have built a small dealer network, we only work with companies that are also disabled owned and operated.

Comment

Working...
                    X