are all power chairs created equal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are all power chairs created equal?

Most of my (power) chairs throughout the years have been Permobils. It is time to replace the one I have, and I want to learn about different brands...it's been my understanding that Permobil is the "top of the line". Is this still correct?

My first one lasted 8 1/2 yrs. and my current one is 7 1/2 yrs. old. Is this a typical life span for this brand? I know insurance companies supposedly pay for a new chair every 5 years but don't want to cough up the co-pay this often, if possible (the current one cost us about $10,000.)

Mine needs a whole new control panel, back shell and wheels/tires, so we thought it better to just replace the whole thing.

Thoughts/insight/experiences, anyone?

"courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Everyone should get a new chair every 5 years...It sounds like you dont understand the co pay...most DMEs understand that are community is on tight funds...so they write off the co pay

I would say Permobil is a great brand but try an do your research and demo a few different brands and models at your home and then get end user feed back

Never go 6 or 7 years with a chair because you miss out in new technology that will help smooth the ride and over come challenges

Comment

• jennypenny
      jennypenny commented
      Editing a comment
      the 3 businesses I've bought my 3 chairs from haven't done this. do I have to ask? and is the markeup so big that they can afford this?
      Last edited by jennypenny; 6 Oct 2021, 7:25 PM.

• MikeP2020
      MikeP2020 commented
      Editing a comment
      We use to get Mama and my chairs at same time(Full Rehab, however never got seat lift) and 3 past DME's wrote off co-pays on 3 seperate 21st Century, Permobil, AmySystem and Pride products. All those Dme's have sold to, guess national companies. None of new owners say they will write off co-pays.
      Hence our insurance covered chairs are over 10 years old each.
      Any info on any national company that will write off co-pays I'd really appreciate.
      BTW: Maybe I'm asking DME's wrong, I ask/tell up front, trying to be honest with them and have been told "No" by all I've ask.
      Thanks!

Originally posted by RollinPositive View Post
    .It sounds like you dont understand the co pay...most DMEs understand that are community is on tight funds...so they write off the co pay
    They might waive copay for you since your deeply involved with Permobil. Just like the free seat elevators. I'd like to hear from others, Who has had copay waived and/or free seat elevator?

Supplemental (to Medicare) insurance will cover copay. The amount it covers equates to free insurance for that year.

Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

I definitely want to hear from others who have had NuMotion waive the 20% copay because the power wheelchair is most definitely 45-55% above the out of pocket expense of buying the chair outright.
      Last edited by Califanna; 7 Oct 2021, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Depends how active you are. Some do alot of outdoor activity or gravel etc. so may go for a more rugged power chair like a bounder. The DME rep will push whatever brand he gets the biggest break on so do your homework and try out different chairs if you can; read and ask questions you have here.

Remember you are the consumer, don't let them bulldog you into a chair that may not be right for you.

Comment

I would definitely here more about these DME's that waive the copy. I've never had that happen.

Comment

Everyone should get a new chair every 5 years...It sounds like you dont understand the co pay...most DMEs understand that are community is on tight funds...so they write off the co pay

I would say Permobil is a great brand but try an do your research and demo a few different brands and models at your home and then get end user feed back

Never go 6 or 7 years with a chair because you miss out in new technology that will help smooth the ride and over come challenges

I have no involvement in Permobil other then advocating and working with there VPs on both sides of the country with ordering issues when needed.

It helps if one also understands Medicare and that at max after spending $3400 soon to lower to $3200 for 2022 everything after that is 100% covered so now as the year is ending is the best time to start a new chair process.

I funded a group 4 chair a Permobil F5 under a Medicare Advantage plan @ 100% I only had to pay my deductible, I am not one that gets sick or uses much DME things so had I used more of my funds my out of pocket would have been lower but my cost less then $1000

This includes seat elevation, lights, larger 24 batteries and the newer 3.5" joystick.

Comment

I have no involvement in Permobil other then advocating and working with there VPs on both sides of the country with ordering issues when needed.

It helps if one also understands Medicare and that at max after spending $3400 soon to lower to $3200 for 2022 everything after that is 100% covered so now as the year is ending is the best time to start a new chair process.

I funded a group 4 chair a Permobil F5 under a Medicare Advantage plan @ 100% I only had to pay my deductible, I am not one that gets sick or uses much DME things so had I used more of my funds my out of pocket would have been lower but my cost less then $1000

This includes seat elevation, lights, larger 24 batteries and the newer 3.5" joystick.

I'm confused and mostly figure I am not reading this correctly.
              The 'Medicare and that at max after spending $3400 soon to lower to $3200 for 2022' is that like what I'm charged as the 20% to see doctors, treatments and test under Original Medicare?
              Or is it what I'm charged for my 20% at DME, like this year new batteries and mattresses under Medicare.
              Or is the $3,200 what max DME is suppose to charge as that deductible on new chair?
              I know I'm dense and mean no offense, it's just both Mama and I need to get serious about new chairs and I just plain don't understand.

Comment

Working...
              X