Wheelchair Platform w/Adjustable Legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelchair Platform w/Adjustable Legs

Does anyone have a wheelchair platform with adjustable legs they would recommend? One large enough where there would be no problem turning around on it. I want to put one outside my garage door. Currently, I have a pretty steep ramp going into the door and would like to be able to sit on a level surface outside the door when I have groceries or other items in my lap. Likewise, would make unlocking the door easier.
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

You’re a private residence so no need to go with ADA regs but recommendations on platform are 60” x 60” . That might be more generous than you need or have space for but gives a general idea.

https://www.ok.gov/odc/documents/ADA...Compliance.pdf

sorry rereading, I don’t have any ideas on adjustable legs.
    This is pricey but a platform with adjustable legs:
    https://www.rehabmart.com/product/pl...amp-45283.html
    Last edited by ChesBay; 20 Sep 2021, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ResonantEcho View Post
      Does anyone have a wheelchair platform with adjustable legs they would recommend? One large enough where there would be no problem turning around on it. I want to put one outside my garage door. Currently, I have a pretty steep ramp going into the door and would like to be able to sit on a level surface outside the door when I have groceries or other items in my lap. Likewise, would make unlocking the door easier.
      Why adjustable legs? Normally a ramp with a landing at the door would be installed. Type in garage wheelchair ramp search and look at photos . Depending on ramp direction to door you can get away with smaller than 60x60. Just make sure you have a raised edge or railing to ensure you cannot roll over the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by cementhead View Post
        Why adjustable legs? Normally a ramp with a landing at the door would be installed. Type in garage wheelchair ramp search and look at photos . Depending on ramp direction to door you can get away with smaller than 60x60. Just make sure you have a raised edge or railing to ensure you cannot roll over the edge.
        I should have been more detailed and mentioned what I'm working with.

The door sill into the house from the garage is 3.5" off the ground. Thus, the reason I mentioned a platform with feet that could be adjusted. Currently, I am using a ramp similar to the one seen in the photo at end of this message. I'd like to put a platform in its place and attach the ramp to it. Actually, I want to get a longer ramp so the incline is more gradual.

Eventually, I'm going to have a nice concrete ramp and platform constructed, but am looking for a temporary solution in the meantime.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3303087_2000x2000.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	2913310

Comment

Originally posted by ChesBay View Post
          sorry rereading, I don’t have any ideas on adjustable legs.
          This is pricey but a platform with adjustable legs:
          https://www.rehabmart.com/product/pl...amp-45283.html
          Ches,

I did come across this while searching. You're correct. It's a bit pricey.

I was hoping someone is currently using something similar that they're happy with. Likewise, not as pricey.

Comment

If a temporary platform 3-1/2” tall is what you are looking for just stack 2 2x4’s flat on the surface outside the door then put 3/4” plywood on top. That gives you 3-1/4” high platform and a 1/4” bump into the door. A sheet of plywood is around 15-20$ and 4-5 2x4’s 8’ aren’t very expensive. Now you have a temporary landing(that will last a few years easily) for under $100. I did this at my mothers house outside in the winter when she was dying from cancer. It held up with no issues. Just attach the 2x4’s with tapcons to the concrete and screw the plywood to the 2x4’s . You could take a longer 3’ aluminum ramp to get on top of the wood platform landing .

Comment

• Oddity
              Oddity commented
              Editing a comment
              I need to buy plywood in your neighborhood! I just had to spend $47 a sheet for 4x8x23/32" Pine plywood subfloor!!

$29.00 at Home Depot.
            https://www.homedepot.com/p/23-32-in...9323/303564747

Comment

$34.88 here in NJ from your link
              69yo male T12 complete since 1995
              NW NJ

Comment

When I open it and update for my zip code it changes to $37.20. And that's the cheapest stuff. Goes up from there, based on wood type, finish, and quality! 2.5 years ago I bought 2 sheets for this price! Last week, high quality 23/32x4x8 subfloor was almost $50! Sheesh.
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Look on Craigslist find some cheaper maybe

Comment

Originally posted by ResonantEcho View Post
                    I should have been more detailed and mentioned what I'm working with. ..........
                    Eventually, I'm going to have a nice concrete ramp and platform constructed, but am looking for a temporary solution in the meantime.
                    Not temporary but maybe worth consideration if access for unlocking your door is the objective. What about a wi fi bluetooth door lock conversion?

Or for a temporary landing use old pallets / pallet material?
                    Last edited by slow_runner; 24 Sep 2021, 3:36 PM.

Comment

I went through 2 plywood temp ramps at my 9' wide garage door. I know what you are dealing with. As it deteriorates it gets steeper till it's a big speed bump. Last month I finally had a real concrete ramp poured.

Prior to biting the concrete bullet, I looked into wheelchair ramps. There are some out there with screw adjustable legs but pricey. About $800 for 2 x 4' wide x 4' deep. My 9' x 4' concrete was $1000. I should have had it 9' x 6' to not have a bump getting on ramp. To smooth the transition from gravel to concrete ramp, I dug down 3 or so inches, added gravel, spread dry Quikrete, more gravel, more Quickrete. Gently washed it down. 2 days later, spread dry portland cement and mist washed it down.

To summarize, I should have done the concrete long ago. No longer need help maintaining the plywood as it shifts and/or deteriorates. Prior to my injury, I was near ready to do the slab myself but kept putting it off because it wasn't an issue for AB's & motorcycles.
                      Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
                      Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

Working...
                      X