Adapted van battery maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adapted van battery maintenance

So I just bought a 2006 Ford E150 van that has door opener, lift (Rincon I think) and a 6 way transfer seat. I've been told by a service guy at Mobility Works that if I don't drive the van 15 to 20 miles daily I need to hook it to a battery tender. Another quad who drives a newer van with the same type of equipment says he never hooks his van to a charger despite the fact that it sometimes sits for several days without being run.

I'd love to hear what those of you with experience with van equipment advise with regard to how often I should have to hook the van to a battery tender.

Thanks

Pete

Battery life is always maximized by keeping the battery fully charged, assuming you have a lead acid battery. If you have the facility to connect to a charger why not do it.

While your van is working and it's not snowing yet try to measure it daily for a week or 2 and see how much parasitic draw it has. How many days till it shows a voltage drop? If you can measure current that is even better. Is there a current draw when it is parked? The best site for battery info is wheelchairdriver.com.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Comment

I went through 3 batteries in my van over a 8 year period due to inactivity driving. Usually at 2 weeks I had a dead battery. Of course at first it was due to a broken kneel drive that was constantly drawing power even though it was turned off. I put a battery tender on my van when I put in my last battery. If I’m not gonna drive for more than three or four days I plug it in. Of course I park in my garage so there’s not really an issue for me to plug in a battery tender.

Comment

Thanks guys. I did have my neighbor put in a battery tender for me. I'm an incomplete quad, some use of one hand, little use of the other, so plugging it in is kind of tough. I live alone so don't have anyone real close by to do it for me. Hopefully it will get easier to do the more times I try.

Comment

go to harbor freight and get one or two of their little solar panels. hook them to the battery/batteries. mine sit on the dash board of my crapmobile, a 2003 hyundai with a waaay too old battery and keep it going. another one is hooked up to the lawnmower.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterJ View Post
            Thanks guys. I did have my neighbor put in a battery tender for me. I'm an incomplete quad, some use of one hand, little use of the other, so plugging it in is kind of tough. I live alone so don't have anyone real close by to do it for me. Hopefully it will get easier to do the more times I try.
            I am C5 no fingers. My tender the plug comes out the front end where headlight is. My power cord hangs from my garage ceiling as a parking guide stop. I pull in until my front headlight touches the cord. I struggle a little but manage.
            you can always install this. It might make it easier.
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/11494152512...75.c101224.m-1

Comment

i have a trickler charger on mine as i rarely leave our community then if i go to town dr vist i call senor citizen they pu me drop me off and come back for 10.00 i ileve 20 miles from town can not beat it

Comment

I use a Deltran Battery Tender JR. to keep all my batteries fully charged. The charger comes with a quick connect that runs from the battery outside the engine compartment so lifting the hood is unnecessary. I just leave the charger on top of the tire to keep it out of the weather. Doing this really extends battery life.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210911_103341.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2913044

Comment

Working...
                X