Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimum dining table height for wheelchair access?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum dining table height for wheelchair access?

Before my chair script is finalised I would like to know what table height (therefore chair seat height) you have found most suitable. At the moment the chair FSH is 18.5" .
    Our oak extendable table has a floor to bottom of table rail measurement of 645mmm (25 3/8"), is that near to standard or lower due to the extend function?
    Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 6 Sep 2021, 12:27 AM.

I’m 6 feet tall. The lowest I can possible get my knees with my feet tucked well back such that my toes are about level with my knees is 26”. There are still perhaps 2% of surfaces in my life (tables, desks, etc) that are a little too low. I’d say 25 and 3/8 is on the lower side of “normal” if there is such a thing.

Comment

I believe that you are correct funk. Our table is from the 40s, solid oak, the top is solid 1" (2" including the extensions). Maybe people were shorter then?
      I found this site helpful, and regardless where the statutes are written the disability needs remain universal.
      https://www.adaadvocacy.com/post/201...air-accessible
      Last edited by slow_runner; 7 Sep 2021, 6:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slow_runner View Post
        Before my chair script is finalised I would like to know what table height (therefore chair seat height) you have found most suitable. At the moment the chair FSH is 18.5" .
        Our oak extendable table has a floor to bottom of table rail measurement of 645mmm (25 3/8"), is that near to standard or lower due to the extend function?
        Thanks for your help.
        I know you are not in the USA, but the US ADA standards for dining tables, desks, and work tables are described here:

https://www.ada.gov/reachingout/servingcustomers.html

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Based on that information I am increasing my FSH to 19.5".

Comment

Originally posted by slow_runner View Post
            Based on that information I am increasing my FSH to 19.5".

That's my current FSH, and with a 3" Roho (mid-profile), I still regularly *barely* fit under stuff, and can't fit under some.

I'm considering going back to 4" front casters to lower .5", actually. Even though I could fit under one, recently, my knees rubbed the underside, at a restaurant table, and got crap all over my pants.

ADA for table tops is one of those areas often disregarded, in my experience.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

• slow_runner
              slow_runner commented
              Editing a comment
              Are the directives within the ADA legislation enforceable?
              Last edited by slow_runner; 7 Sep 2021, 12:50 PM.

• SCI-Nurse
              SCI-Nurse commented
              Editing a comment
              The ADA (actually the Access Board) guidelines are not enforced by any "ADA police" but can serve as the basis for a complaint to the Dept. of Justice if not complied with by businesses. If the complaint is resolved in favor of the person filing, the business can be fined. (KLD)

Following on from Funks thread 'Putting together a wheelchair tool bag', I am considering carrying 4 off 1"x 2" diameter 'biscuit' pieces to lift any table that I find too low.
            They needn't need to be made of anything too heavy.
            A request to the staff that they increase the height by similar means when required AND be made aware of the particular need for most wheelchair jockeys should be what we all do when encountering tables with insufficient clearance. Bed or chair raisers come to mind and it would be a simple and inexpensive, appreciated courtesy by them.
            Last edited by slow_runner; 8 Sep 2021, 9:04 AM.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
              SCI-Nurse commented
              Editing a comment
              4 leg tables may be remedied by using risers like this (which the restaurant should provide, actually), but that doesn't work for center post tables or those really wide legs. For 4 legged tables with skinny legs, you can use a 5-6" piece of 2" PVC pipe with a screw running through it on which to rest the foot of the leg. Here is an even fancier way to make these for a card table: https://www.instructables.com/Card-T...eg-Extensions/ (KLD)
          Working...
          X