Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cushion

Hi Everyone,

I'm T10 complete. I have no feeling below my injury. I'm using varilite evolution cushion since my injury. When I'm sitting in wheelchair for long time i'm gettin very bad sensation on my butt. I feel like i'm sitting on fire. I think it can be because of my cushion because when im getting rest in my bed this sensation goes away. Have anyone had the same problem ? Should i consider changing my cushion ?

You may be having neuropathic pain (central pain) in your buttocks that is aggravated by sitting. Do you take any medication for neuropathic pain? Have you had a good computerized interface pressure seating evaluation to determine if that is the best cushion for you for pressure reduction?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• RomanRybak
      RomanRybak commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't take any medication for neuropathic pain because my doctor told me that there is very bad side effect for me. No i have never had a good computerized interface pressure seating evaluation. Where can i get it done?

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      It would be helpful if you would add your location (country, state, etc.) to your profile so we can refer you to appropriate resources and put your comments in context. Thanks. (KLD)

Originally posted by RomanRybak View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm T10 complete. I have no feeling below my injury. I'm using varilite evolution cushion since my injury. When I'm sitting in wheelchair for long time i'm gettin very bad sensation on my butt. I feel like i'm sitting on fire. I think it can be because of my cushion because when im getting rest in my bed this sensation goes away. Have anyone had the same problem ? Should i consider changing my cushion ?
    I have had my butt burning for 14 years. You are not alone. I had pressure mapping done, tried various cushions but no luck. I am a T-10 complete and do like the Roho 3" and 4" high profile cushions. When my butt hurts bad, I get off of it and try to relive pressure. Wish you well.

Comment

• RomanRybak
      RomanRybak commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm trying to do the same when my butt hurts but I'm young and active men. I'm working 9 to 5 and it so hard to get thru my work days with this pain. After work i usually spend time with friends, family or girlfriend. I'm also going out a lot, traveling, going to gym and I'm trying to start my business so I usually spend 16 hours a day in my wheelchair and its so hard... I wish i could do it all a little less painful.

I'm a T10 18yrs in, butt starts burning as soon as I get in the chair, like JoeMonte laying back down for awhile is best relief. You should definitely get your butt mapped, a wrong/bad cushion can exaggerate the burning and do damage too. I'm on a 4" Roho too. I take gabapentin to try and keep the pain to a dull roar, not sure if it's really helping or just psychological.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      Where are you located? Most large rehab centers which treat SCI/D patients offer outpatient seating clinics. (KLD)

• RomanRybak
      RomanRybak commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm located in West Babylon, NY 11704

• JoeMonte
      JoeMonte commented
      Editing a comment
      I had my mapping done at Kessler in West Orange, N.J. The contact person is Mary Shay. She is excellent and a great resource.

Same here, 21 years. It's worse for me in the summer months, the hotter it is out reflects the pain in the rear. For some reason it's worse after I eat. I do as the others, lay down for about an hour when it really bothers me. I don't take any medications, just been dealing with it. Best thing to do is stay really busy with something you enjoy doing. I use a Supracor Stimulite regular honeycomb. I have a Varilite but it doesn't breath so it doesn't work as well. ROHOS can't stand up to my daily activities but work pretty well.

Comment

• RomanRybak
      RomanRybak commented
      Editing a comment
      How do you like Supracor Stimulite ? have you ever get pressure sore from this cushion? I was thinking about getting this one too but there ware bad reviews.

Roman, please add your location to your CareCure profile. I hope you are safe as my map shows West Babylon, NY as a location of hurricane flooding!

You may need to go into NYC for a good seating clinic. Mt. Sinai Rehabilitation Center would be the first place I would check on for such a resource. https://www.mountsinai.org/care/reha...erapy/programs

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

@ Roman: I've been using the Stimulite for a good 10 years (same cushion, never replaced) and it's worked the best for me. I started out with the Jay gel and it was the most uncomfortable, as far as the burning pain. Thankfully, I've never had any skin breakdown in the 21 years. But, because of the burning, I'm constantly shifting around and don't do regimented weight shifts. The Stimulite is a "hard" cushion, even after 10 years of use. It's lightweight and is easy to clean. I think the ROHO is probably the best choice as far as pain relief, but I'd be buying one every month because I work with hand tools and other equipment just about everyday where the likelihood of a puncture is inevitable.

Comment

https://aquilacorp.com/products/softech/
        Injured on July 8th 2017 at 28 years old.
        Fractured C4 - C7, Incomplete.

Facebook Email

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
          SCI-Nurse commented
          Editing a comment
          That cushion is of questionable value for pressure reduction, and likely would make allodynia such as the OP has worse. (KLD)

• Vindex
          Vindex commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure if it would help with the pain, but this cushion has been saving me from pressure sores for about two years now SCI-Nurse , I first found this advertised and the New Mobility magazine, Created for SCI patients, and it has been a lifesaver

https://aquilacorp.com/products/softech/

"Cleveland Clinic 5 year study-Effects of Conventional and Alternating Cushion Weight Shifting in Persons with Spinal Cord Injury"

https://aquilacorp.com/clinical-stud...l-cord-injury/

I find my butt burns now too but I’m 48 years post injury and I guess years of sitting are taking a toll. My skin is prone to chapping which I imagine adds to the pain. I too use a supracor stimulate (XS). I find I now have to lay down for a while most days to take pressure off and the burning usually goes away. Hopefully you can find a cushion that helps with the burning.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
          SCI-Nurse commented
          Editing a comment
          Unfortunately, allodynia (this type of neuropathic pain) does tend to increase with aging. (KLD)
      Working...
      X