Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adapting a Power Boat for a Power Chair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adapting a Power Boat for a Power Chair?

Hi Guys,

Has anyone here adapted a power boat so it is accessible for a power chair, just to drive on, no hoist or switching chairs etc (just like an adapted drive from wheelchair car conversion with ramp). Something around 7 to 9 meters.

I'm not prioritising actually adapting a power boat so I can drive it, I just want to be a passenger.

After looking around online, I've only really found the Cheetah Marine boats that have conversions. https://www.cheetahmarine.co.uk/en/. These do look good for powerchairs but I would be sharing the boat with able bodied people, so they aren't too keen on the Cheetah's for a bunch of reasons.

I was thinking of adapting something more common, maybe a Merry Fisher, or a Beneteau.

https://www.jeanneau.com/en/boats/power ... 95-marlin/

https://www.beneteau.com/en

I know converted power boats aren't too common but if by chance any one here has done one or knows of one, please let me know...?
    Attached Files

Modifying an existing boat with a side door is difficult because it is hard to maintain the structural integrity. The gunnel and sides provide the support and cutting into the structure requires a lot of design, engineering and money. After looking into it I mounted a manual pool lift on the boat but that was only lifting me in my manual chair. I too did not want to transfer into another chair. I had it on a tri-toon pontoon boat, 25ft Parker and 35 ft Bertram. You didn't say where you would be using it, such as a lake or the ocean, but you might also think about deadrise. A small degree of deadrise makes the boat stable at rest but pounds in a chop or rougher water. A high degree of dead rise gives a smoother ride but may snap roll at rest and will require more horsepower to move. Everything on a boat is a trade off.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Comment

Originally posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
      Modifying an existing boat with a side door is difficult because it is hard to maintain the structural integrity. The gunnel and sides provide the support and cutting into the structure requires a lot of design, engineering and money. After looking into it I mounted a manual pool lift on the boat but that was only lifting me in my manual chair. I too did not want to transfer into another chair. I had it on a tri-toon pontoon boat, 25ft Parker and 35 ft Bertram. You didn't say where you would be using it, such as a lake or the ocean, but you might also think about deadrise. A small degree of deadrise makes the boat stable at rest but pounds in a chop or rougher water. A high degree of dead rise gives a smoother ride but may snap roll at rest and will require more horsepower to move. Everything on a boat is a trade off.
      Wow that 35ft Bertram looks awesome... Great spacious deck!

It would be used in the ocean.... but just for short day trips in calm weather.

I'll check out that Parker as well... looks like a big deck for the size of the boat. Thanks

Comment

The Parker 2510 walkaround is all one level to the helm and was the version we had. I believe the pilot house versions have a step down to get to the helm. We had the 14 degree deadrise and that boat taught me that 14 degrees was too flat for the Gulf of Mexico. It would be flat like a lake the entire week I was at work and then the wind would pick up on the weekend when we wanted to go out. I think they now have a 16 degree deadrise version and 21 degree version.
        "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Comment

• C5QuadGuy
          C5QuadGuy commented
          Editing a comment
          That Parker looks great actually! Did you consider any other boat manufacturers of a similar size to that?

• 24/7 Quad
          24/7 Quad commented
          Editing a comment
          At that time I focused on Parker because of their reputation and the single level deck. They have a forum if you want more info and thehulltruth.com has a wealth of information. If I were to get another boat at this point I would be looking at Pursuit boats with inboard Cummins diesels that were between 5 and 10 years old. . My brother in law has a C-hawk which is similar to a Parker and he likes it. It all comes down to upkeep and money. It is an expensive hobby but every day was an adventure. If money wasn't a concern I would have a Viking, one of the express layouts.

• C5QuadGuy
          C5QuadGuy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks '24/7 Quad'. Great suggestions there. I'll check thehulltruth !

pontoon boat, just make the door bigger

Comment

I've been researching pontoon boats, but for lake water for us, but they do do salt water ready models, adding an anode and such. For our use, the best fit I've found so far is a Harris 230 or 250 Cruiser FC, my wife is an avid fisherwoman and we have to have a couple fishing seats. The 250 has a very wide port gate in their plans, I have written them for confirmation but haven't heard back yet. The 230 will work for us too, if the gate is wide enough.

The FC plans have very wide aisles, and you could remove the fishing seats for wide open space in the aft area.

https://www.harrisboats.com/content/....html#specsnav
          (floorplans are just under the specs area)

My plan is to mount this ramp in place of the gate door,

https://handiramp.com/sidekickramp.htm

Would need to add a lanyard of some sort to pull the ramp up, but minor issue. I'm thinking I can even add the gate door to the underside of the ramp, so that when it is up, the outside of boat is mostly stock looking, will have to see, don't want to scratch the door up either.

Don't know if a pontoon will fit your criteria, just adding my plan.
          "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Working...
          X