Wheelchair tire inserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oddity View Post

My previous Marathon tires wore out from just that long before they lost their tread-worthiness. Sidewall splits that eventually ran 360deg around the whole tire, with spider-web cracking off the main split. Still held like that for a couple months but I eventually swapped them. That was back in ~2018-2019. They were installed in 2008.

Re: wheel weight. Important for transferring wheels, but unless the savings is in the outer rim, not really something that'll help with efficiency of pushing the rotating mass. I read an article ages ago that concluded, basically, that one ounce of outer diameter weight loss, on a 26" bike rim, had many orders of magnitude more effect on lowering energy needed to overcome the moment of intertia than at the hub. The hub weight itself barely affected the process. (I'm looking at you: Spinergy XLS hubs still with heavy ass rims and tires and tubes.)
    Well for many years I only aired my tire to 60lbs. It doesn't take long for for the pressure to drop to 40lb. Never had a tire sidewall split.

My guess is that high pressure tires, 100+, would probably loss pressure even faster. Would need air added more often. Is that correct?

As for the wheels, I'm not worried about saving energy over long distances. I only use my manual at home. I'm looking for ease of starting to roll and high quality bearing with low friction for a longer roll per push.

Just using a chair around the house might make you think wheels/tires isn't worth worrying about but when your a 67yr old quad with a messed up shoulder, you look for anything to make your shoulder last a little longer.

Right now I use the Sun L20 rims that come with the Quickie GPV. The Spinergy LX are @ $800. Haven't really read anything so far that justifies me spending that kind of. money.

The Out-Front wheel and the basic Spinergy is only @ $300. They are around 3 to 4 ounces less than my Sun rim. I have no idea if you can feel the difference.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; 21 Jul 2021, 3:21 PM.

Comment

Hi Wes.
      Im at 105kg and go about 3 weeks before my tyres require air; maybe a little less if I have been active and out often. It's no biggy for me as the pump is in the shed and I am fortunate that my hand function is good
      Spinergy XL complete wheels with pushrims at US$800 when we are quoted NZ$1500, although a reach at the US price is a whole lot healthier than what we are extorted
      Have you looked at sourcing through this site or eBay for XL or Shadows?
      People are always upgrading and flogging off their stock Shadows for near pennies.
      I'm thinking that with savings on a good used set you could buy one of the portable compressors, the ones as small as 4"-5" square. There are good ones out there-an Aussie one I used at a previous expo appealed to me. On further thought I canned that impulse cause I have my shop compressor.
      There are a few Spinergys here Wes..
      https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...ergy+XL+wheels
      Last edited by slow_runner; 21 Jul 2021, 5:02 PM.

Comment

This looks good Wes NZ$288

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12468096484...gAAOSwjq5gdzUc

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

Those NZ prices really suck. Hadn't thought about eBay, that's a good idea. Who are these people using 22" or 21" wheels?? lol

The main question before I buy anything is, do these wheels make a noticeable difference in the ease of pushing.

Comment

Originally posted by wes4dbt View Post
            The main question before I buy anything is, do these wheels make a noticeable difference in the ease of pushing.
            For me. I guess the main thing is that the wheel will retain its integrity, will roll well, looks good through design & function and require minimum maintenance.
            The Spinergy does that for me - I am sure that there could be better chairs out there, like the Scandinavian wheel I spoke of which is cheaper than the Spinergy but I cannot verify that it performs better, for longer.
            A wheel with a wide axle housing, decent bearings, spokes and rims is what you want coupled with good quality performing tyres.
            The Spinergy does that for me, also the RightRuns- these tyres are brilliant on smooth surfaces, ie floors (especially carpet) and pavement. The centre strip gives more than adequate grip except on slipprry surfaces.
            The Marathons are great tyres too but for me they are a bastard on carpeted surfaces, they are heavier, they hold dirt and any other junk between the tread which is no good when transiting into homes and offices.
            Treat yourself Wes

Comment

I like the idea of the Right Runs. But my experience with Primos (I am guessing they are similar) tells me to stick with Marathons. Here's why.

I am not denying RRs being easier to push. But I do question how long that advantage lasts. After they lose their tread (4-8 weeks?) they need to be replaced. Who replaces them that often? I'd like to think I would. But in reality, there will be times I don't get around to it. Then I'm riding around on baldinis for half the life of the tire. Then how easy are they?

Marathons last for years, don't get flats, and while I do realize that they become squishy and hard to push, just inflating them to 120+ PSI makes them float again.

Comment

4-8 weeks August?
                This is Primos you are talking about, right? R/RS don't have tread on the load surface; they do have some pattern either side of the centre traction(?) strip that are probably there for tyre propellors, Which I am one - pushrim/tyres action.
                Mate, you must really work that chair. Or are you running on rough surfaces?
                As I understand it, Wes will be using his chair inside for the most part so R/RS would suit his situation.
                I use mine inside and out, seldom on rough or harsh surfaces and my tyres are good for months - punctures and needing to run flat or low pressure excluded.
                Besides, the R/Rs are a good deal cheaper than Marathons so suit my frugal habits.
                Last edited by slow_runner; 22 Jul 2021, 6:51 AM.

Comment

well i use a solid tire as i can not push with low air and living alone an the roads i am on i op for solid rubber. also if i scrub my rear transfering i don/t scrape skin.

Comment

Originally posted by slow_runner View Post
                    4-8 weeks August?
                    This is Primos you are talking about, right? R/RS don't have tread on the load surface; they do have some pattern either side of the centre traction(?) strip that are probably there for tyre propellors, Which I am one - pushrim/tyres action.
                    Mate, you must really work that chair. Or are you running on rough surfaces?
                    As I understand it, Wes will be using his chair inside for the most part so R/RS would suit his situation.
                    I use mine inside and out, seldom on rough or harsh surfaces and my tyres are good for months - punctures and needing to run flat or low pressure excluded.
                    Besides, the R/Rs are a good deal cheaper than Marathons so suit my frugal habits.
                    Primos are soft. They are made for court use. Roll around on asphalt and the tread is gone inside a few weeks. No exaggeration. RRs may not be so soft so they'll probably last longer. But how long? RRs price is 40% of Marathon price. But I doubt they last 40% as long. In which case, Marathons cost less.
                    Last edited by August West; 22 Jul 2021, 7:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
                      Primos are soft. They are made for court use. Roll around on asphalt and the tread is gone inside a few weeks. No exaggeration. RRs may not be so soft so they'll probably last longer. But how long? RRs price is 40% of Marathon price. But I doubt they last 40% as long. In which case, Marathons cost less.
                      You are correct of course but there are a few variables there August. The distance traveled over a fixed period- Your asphalt may be course chip where as ours is smooth - for the most part, I run on paved or interior surfaces - Primos may be softer than R/Rs.
                      For sure Marathons are long lived but they are harder to propel, especially on carpet surface. R/Rs are lesser lived and easier on the shoulders. So, for me, I would swallow the extra cost for the general ease of propelling load and reduced shoulder and therefore the longer life (hopefully) pushing independently.
                      Horses for courses and personal preference mate.
                      Besides, this thread is supposed to be to assist Wes in his determination.😄 Hopefully it has.

Comment

Our discussion is applicable. It helps determine which choices are available for reliability and longevity vs ease and comfort.

On one end of the spectrum is the solid insert ranking highest on reliability but ranking lowest on ease and comfort. On the opposite end of the spectrum is a court tire with tube ranking highest on ease and comfort but ranking lowest on reliability (flat and bald city).

If your priority is the reliability of a solid tire/insert but you still want the comfort and ease of a pneumatic, then Marathon is the only logical choice. If your priority is ease and comfort over reliability then you have many choices including RRs.

Comment

I think they're all good choices and it mostly comes down to our use cases and individual tolerances for dealing with maintenance and risk and cost.

(I use to keep 3 chairs around, for specific things, but that got cumbersome, so I switched to 3 wheel sets (plus a Freewheel) and 1 chair.

I have one with RightRuns and short tabs, for rolling performance and narrowness, mostly while doing inside stuff (home, shopping, etc). One with Marathons and NaturalFit push rims, for traction, durability, and pushing force/grip (wet, or outside stuff like going to the zoo, for a "walk", etc). And one with Maxxis Holy Roller knobbies, and Freewheel, for off tarmac. (I guess I still have an old set in the shed with solid tires I used for vacations.)

I air them all up about every other Sunday. They're usually down from 145 to around 100-120 by then. They're used ~70/20/10% wise, in the order listed. The previous set of RRs lasted ~3-4 years. The previous Marathons went ~11!! I'm still using the same Maxxis knobbies I got back circa 2009 when I got my first Marvel M1. The current Scwalbe RR and M tires I'm using went on in August of 2019.

For some reason I am apparently incredibly easy on my tires. Don't know why. I'm fairly light weight, maybe that's why? Don't do much mileage on rough surfaces? Sharing time between 3 sets? Probably some measure of all of those things plus others.

Maybe I've just been lucky. Only a couple flats in the past 15 years.
                          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                            ...................Only a couple flats in the past 15 years.
                            Only a couple of flats over that time? The Gods are certainly watching over you Odd.
                            I wish that I had that much good fortune 😃.

Comment

Air pressure is also a factor for getting the most life out of the tire. I am guilty of letting them run low. When the tires become hard to push I pump them up. If I stayed on a 2-week schedule they’d last longer. Didn’t realize how much longer until I read your post.

Comment

Well when all is said and done, I didn't choose any of those. lol

I thought I'd give a higher pressure tire a try. But sense a lot of time when I'm moving around the house, I just push on top/side of the tire with the heal of my hand (easier than getting my hand to open enough to use the push rim), I wanted a tire with tread. The Primo Passage tire looks a lot like my current and is rated at 100lbs. They are also cheap. If I like these 1" tire might try one of your suggested tires later if I like these. Also decided to keep my Sun rims, talked to DME Hub and he said they wouldn't make a noticeable difference in ease of pushing.

Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Working...
                                X