Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheelchair tire inserts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wheelchair tire inserts

    Just installed a pair of solid inserts in my rear tires. The guy said it would be like 100lb air pressure. I usually have around 60 -70 so I thought they would roll easier. But so far it doesn't feel like it. Chair doesn't seems to glide well on hard surfaces. Anyone else every try the inserts? If so how did they roll??

    Thanks
    Last edited by wes4dbt; 17 Jul 2021, 3:18 AM.

    #2
    Unfortunately not every tire has the same profile or height off the rim so the inserts don't universally fit perfectly into all of them. Just 1mm of gap can cause significantly "squishier" roll.

    I tried Shox brand of solid tires once, not the inserts, but I found them too squishy, even though they were advertised as "110psi" equivalence.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    Comment


      #3
      Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I think it was a waste of $50. Was just trying to get away from airing up my tires every 2 or 3 weeks.

      Comment


        #4
        I think my next step will be to try tire that are rated for higher pressures. DME Hub has a set rated for 90lbs. Anything over that are all 24"x1". don't think I want 1". I'm a quad and push using the palm of my hand on the tire. Don't think the 1" would work as well, but I've never tried.

        Will a standard tube work for 90lbs or higher. The tubes an DME Hub don't list a pressure limit.

        Thanks

        Comment


          #5
          Tubes will be fine. Pressure rating is about the wheel rim and the tire bead and how they mate.
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

          "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks for the reply.

            Don't know if your a quad or para. but, because of shoulder issues and old age I'm looking for the easiest rolling tire/wheel combo for a quad with minimal hand function. I'm currently using a standard Quickie GPV tire/wheel. They seem fine but it's all I've ever used. Do the expensive wheels like Spinergy make a noticeable difference? What do you think of the high pressure 24"x1" tires? Do the brakes function well on those tires. Are they higher maintenance?

            Just don't want to waste my money, like I did on the tire inserts.

            thanks

            Comment


              #7
              Hi Wes. When I first wheeled I had an old chair with 24' x 13/8" tyres rated max 65psi. They were the standard issue block tread tyres that were hard to propel and would not last long before the tread wore or they picked a puncture.
              I upgraded to Spinergy with Schwalbe Marathons that I ran at 110psi, mainly because that is all my compressor will pump to without resetting pressure switch (max tyre pressure is 140psi).
              Before long I changed to Schwalbe Right Runs for their easier rolling characteristic. Same pressure 110psi.
              They're much easier to propel and turn. Mind you, I am para not tetra.
              I run 559 x 25 rims and pushrim/tyre propel. A understand that a 25mm/1" rim will carry a wider tyre.

              56psi vs 110psi? It is like night and day Wes, bugger those low pressure tyres, they are just too draining on energy and strength.
              Maybe someone on site close by could let you trial a pair of Spinergy wheels, or try the supplier who wants a sale more than the next vendor? Its not an unreasonable request and definitely worth an ask.
              Last edited by slow_runner; 20 Jul 2021, 12:21 AM.

              Comment


                #8
                Thanks for the reply,

                I certainly agree that a higher air pressure makes pushing easier. A lot of the time I let the pressure get down to @ 40lb before I air my tires back up and there is a noticeable difference. Wish they made a tube that didn't lose air pressure, that's the main reason I tried the solid inserts. Do high pressure tires need to be aired up more often?

                Do you think the Spinergy rims made much difference?

                Thanks

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by slow_runner View Post
                  I upgraded to Spinergy with Schwalbe Marathons....Before long I changed to Schwalbe Right Runs for their easier rolling characteristic.
                  Good to know about the Right Runs. I assumed that tires with the same size and pressure should have similar rolling resistances. I guess the extra weight of the Marathons makes them harder to turn. How are the Right Runs for puncture resistance?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by August West View Post
                    Good to know about the Right Runs. I assumed that tires with the same size and pressure should have similar rolling resistances. I guess the extra weight of the Marathons makes them harder to turn. How are the Right Runs for puncture ristance?
                    The Marathons are much taller, and that extra height is mostly vertical tread thickness, with a puncture resistance layer that is ~30% thicker than the Right Run's as well. Even at 145psi, the tread and puncture layers have noticeably more "squish" under the fingers than the RightRuns. I think that's why they don't roll as "hard" feeling. I have wheels setup with both at the moment and it's a big difference. Rightruns have very little traction though. Sometimes they'll slip when pushing in the wet. Especially on wooden ramps or synthetic floors.
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

                    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Oddity View Post

                      The Marathons are much taller, and that extra height is mostly vertical tread thickness, with a puncture resistance layer that is ~30% thicker than the Right Run's as well. Even at 145psi, the tread and puncture layers have noticeably more "squish" under the fingers than the RightRuns. I think that's why they don't roll as "hard" feeling. I have wheels setup with both at the moment and it's a big difference. Rightruns have very little traction though. Sometimes they'll slip when pushing in the wet. Especially on wooden ramps or synthetic floors.
                      I gave up on Primos because of the lack of traction. They're good for a month or two. Then the tread is useless. Slip City, even if it's not wet. For example, if you're on an unlevel surface (something as basic as transitioning from road to sidewalk), you need some grip even if it's dry. Or else, you'll slip as if it was wet. I'd rather have the extra grip and push harder knowing I'm not slipping or going flat when I'm away from home.

                      However, if I'm going straight from my home to a social event, I may want some showy tires. So there's that going for the right runs. They come in colors (hey that's a line in a song - Ruby Tuesday).

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by wes4dbt View Post
                        Thanks for the reply,

                        I certainly agree that a higher air pressure makes pushing easier. A lot of the time I let the pressure get down to @ 40lb before I air my tires back up and there is a noticeable difference. Wish they made a tube that didn't lose air pressure, that's the main reason I tried the solid inserts. Do high pressure tires need to be aired up more often?

                        Do you think the Spinergy rims made much difference?

                        Thanks
                        Running down your tyres & tubes to 40 psi won't do the sidewalls or tubes much good Wes.
                        I'm happy with the Spinergys although the Tilite Shadows are probably as good. For me the Spinergys with their 12 or 18 spokes offer better chair access when I need it, easier to attach the pump connection plus they look good. I couldn't justify buying them new here in New Zealand, $1500 a set IIRC.

                        I was at an ability expo the other week where I saw some sweet wheels - made in Sweden or somewhere Scandinavian. 36(?) spokes with a small diameter hub, probably half the weight of Spinergys, they had some sharp looking solid tyres.
                        Most of my rolling is on paved surface so the R/RS are good for me. They do have puncture resistance but not as robust as the Marathons. Another reason I opt for R/RS is they are easier to wipe down before entering my home or others residence. The tread of the Marathons are a dog to clean & will drop debris throughout. I find their greater rolling resistance a real chore & take away any pleasure of rolling; of course if I am on a slippery surface I wish I had Marathons or any treaded tyres.
                        B

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by slow_runner View Post
                          Running down your tyres & tubes to 40 psi won't do the sidewalls or tubes much good
                          My previous Marathon tires wore out from just that long before they lost their tread-worthiness. Sidewall splits that eventually ran 360deg around the whole tire, with spider-web cracking off the main split. Still held like that for a couple months but I eventually swapped them. That was back in ~2018-2019. They were installed in 2008.

                          Re: wheel weight. Important for transferring wheels, but unless the savings is in the outer rim, not really something that'll help with efficiency of pushing the rotating mass. I read an article ages ago that concluded, basically, that one ounce of outer diameter weight loss, on a 26" bike rim, had many orders of magnitude more effect on lowering energy needed to overcome the moment of intertia than at the hub. The hub weight itself barely affected the process. (I'm looking at you: Spinergy XLS hubs still with heavy ass rims and tires and tubes.)
                          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

                          "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I had my fill of inopportune flats from metal shards in my shop and went with solid tires a long time ago. For me, the compromises were not enough of a problem for me to look back!
                            My "goin'-out" chair has pneumatics but I still stick with 24" 1 3/8 tires that are easy to fix in the seat of my car.
                            Did I say I hate punctures
                            69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                            NW NJ

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                              I had my fill of inopportune flats from metal shards in my shop and went with solid tires a long time ago. For me, the compromises were not enough of a problem for me to look back!
                              My "goin'-out" chair has pneumatics but I still stick with 24" 1 3/8 tires that are easy to fix in the seat of my car. Did I say I hate punctures
                              The workshop is where I pick up 9/10 of my punctures too Phil. The last one was a wire from the wire wheel.
                              Enjoy punctures?
                              The only people I know who enjoy punctures work with wheel balancing and wheel alignment machines

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X