Carrying things on your lap in your wheelchair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carrying things on your lap in your wheelchair

Many people have looked for better ways to carry things securely on your lap while pushing your wheelchair. I saw this in New Mobility. Also on Kick Starter. Supposed to ship in October 2021. $100 on KS, which seems way too high to me, but the price certainly may change. I have no financial interest in this company, as a disclaimer.

https://www.thelapsnap.com/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

You could say it's worth it from a design standpoint. But functionally? You could get a basket from Target for about $10. Or if you don't care how it looks, get a carboard box from Costco for free. I wanted one with handles that is strong enough to carry heavy groceries and got this one.

Comment

Collapsible semi-rigid shopping bags are available at three or four for $20. All they don't have is the strap, which I find that I don't need or want. Obese users may view this differently.

Comment

The Lapstacker from NZ(?). Pricey but those who have them love them. Think inertia seat belt then go make a set 😉

https://adaptdefy.com/lapstacker

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
          SCI-Nurse commented
          Editing a comment
          Those look great, but $239USA? Outrageous!

• juniorsenior
          juniorsenior commented
          Editing a comment
          there's a 15% coupon bringing it down to 205, which given all of the engineering that went into making this a great product, I think is reasonable. Not like a $100 semi-disposable box

Originally posted by slow_runner View Post
        The Lapstacker from NZ(?). Pricey but those who have them love them. Think inertia seat belt then go make a set 😉

You can get two lashing straps for $5. But if you have limited hand function, the interlock is better than lashing straps. The retracting hardware is a great idea.

Comment

I use a plastic tote from Home Depot, but I always use a lapboard under it because it has ribs on the bottom that can cut into your legs.

Comment

I use one of those round plastic buckets from Sams or anywhere that people often use as makeshift temporary beer coolers. Perfect size.

Comment

SCI-Nurse commented 4 Jul 2021, 7:26 AM Those look great, but $239USA? Outrageous!
              My first thought was that the price is quite tall too but on further thought where are you going to find a tool that will operate flawlessly (think inertia seat belt in your car) over a long period, with multiple actions. No fumbling with makeshift Heath Robinson Jerry rigs.
              What do we pay for superfluous bling that has no real application? Often a lot. Spinergy when stock wheels serve the same purpose.
              I am over dropping and retrieving items from my lap; its a real piss off. When my new chair materialises I may have enough folding to purchase a set.
              P.S They do transport and hand deliver across the sea in a genuine Waka....true! Well worth the extra 😉

Last edited by slow_runner; 5 Jul 2021, 11:50 PM.

Comment

It's worth it if it works for you. Retractable seat belts are expensive, probably $100 alone for two. Plus the mounting hardware would probably cost another $50 to do it right. That brings it up to $150 ballpark just in parts. Probably cost you much more after trial and error. What's your time worth? I'd rather spend the $200 and know I'm good to go.

Only problem I see for me is the mounting location. The video shows the cushion extending a few inches in front of the locks. The Lapstacker mounts in this location. My cushion doesn't extend in front of the locks. It stops behind the locks. Hence, there's nowhere I can mount the Lapstacker unless I remove the locks. I suppose I could replace the scissor locks with D-locks. That would do the trick and I've been thinking about getting D-locks anyways.

Comment

• slow_runner
                  slow_runner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are correct August,although viewing their video once more it appears that the inertia mount can/could be used left to right which would allow the clamping behind the brake clamp and the strap positioning location forward, where it suits the person best? On the instruction guide the rigidiser bar clamp option is shown.

Why not give them a bell on the dog n bone, or skype or other video communication we are blessed with?
                  I am hopeful of attending the Disability Expo today
                  https://www.accessable.co.nz/stories...sability-expo/

They should be exhibiting. If you wish, I can approach them and seek their resolution for your situation ? No problem.
                  ....The usual disclaimer bollocks....
                  Last edited by slow_runner; 6 Jul 2021, 3:10 PM.

• August West
                  August West commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I used to have more dump and a raised footrest. Nothing would fall off my lap. But I don't have that set up any more because it puts too much pressure on the sitting bones and skin. Great for the skin but bad for carrying. Things are always falling off my lap. I'd gladly pay $200 to rid the frustration of dropping things. I can see so many possibilities with this Lapstacker. The peace of mind alone is well worth it.

No way it can mount the same way as in the video. But if there are alternatives, then I'm in. I can send pictures. Please let me know.

Replied as comment

Comment

I like the idea of the lapstacker but I would need to see the dimensions before I would consider buying.

Comment

Originally posted by spinner View Post
                    I like the idea of the lapstacker but I would need to see the dimensions before I would consider buying.
                    I was very fortunate and was recently gifted one of these by a grant foundation. I placed the order earlier today, and I was impressed with the process because they asked for a lot of information about my wheelchair, including obviously the make and model, but also a series of photos both with me in the chair and out of it. My impression is that they customize each Lapstacker to the individual and her/his chair. Looking forward to getting this soon and trying it out. I'll definitely report back!

Also, for the record, I asked about using it as a quad and was told that it's actually been designed for quads... Apparently those at the C5 or above level often add special pull tabs, but ultimately it's purposely designed as a quad tool.
                    C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

Hi Emmet. How did you learn of the lapstacker? I don't see a lot of advertising for it, I guess it is promoted via social media- the new 'word of mouth'?
                      Last edited by slow_runner; 7 Jul 2021, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Hi Emmet. How did you learn of the lapstacker? I don't see a lot of advertising for it, I guess it is promoted via social media- the new 'word of mouth'?
                        Yeah, pretty sure I saw it first on Facebook!
                        C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

Working...
                        X