Researching WHILL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Researching WHILL

I’m a para but I’ve decided it’s time to go to a power chair or manual/power chair full time. I’ve posted previously about some lightweight power chair options, and got good feedback, but I’ve discovered another power chair I’m interested in, and that’s the WHILL chair. Anybody out there who has had experience with it, good, bad or indifferent? It would help if you are non ambulatory, do side transfers, etc. Thanks in advance.

I’ve had Model CI for about 2 1/2 years. I’ve put 1100 miles on it with no issues. It’s very well made and sturdy for transfers. I do standing transfers but a side transfer should not be a huge issue as the arms are easy to fold back out of the way.
    Check their website as they have demo units around the country for test drives.
    I’ll be happy to answer any other questions.
    Mark

Comment

Thanks for reply Mark, that’s helpful. Did you purchase it yourself or were you able to get full or partial insurance coverage for it?

Comment

I self funded, the CI is not an approved device.

Comment

Yep. Figured that. I noticed that the range for the CI is 5 miles, which seems low to me. Do u use it exclusively inside and out or just for travel?

Comment

The range is actually 10 mi real world. I use mine outdoors however it works well indoors. It does have a small foot print and pivots like a manual.

Comment

Thank you! I think read 5mph as 5 mile range. (Duh) I’m really liking the narrow footprint. 21.5 for a 16 “ seat. That will go through lots of older bathroom doors, etc. I’m seriously considering it, even tho I’ll have to buy it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Stsmark View Post
                I’ve had Model CI for about 2 1/2 years. I’ve put 1100 miles on it with no issues. It’s very well made and sturdy for transfers. I do standing transfers but a side transfer should not be a huge issue as the arms are easy to fold back out of the way.
                Check their website as they have demo units around the country for test drives.
                I’ll be happy to answer any other questions.
                Mark
                I like the concept except for the front wheels, looks like it would be a hairy mess really quick. I have to clear the hair out of my smartdrive fairly often and I don't use it indoors very much. But then I have dogs.

Comment

I have 2 Goldens that I take a few miles a day with it. Never had to clean any hair from the “Omni Wheels” Now my chair casters… Frankly never had to clean any dirt or mud from them either. It does great on grass or hard trails but the tires are narrow for soft stuff.
                  I have used it inside my house rarely and it’s fine. It really does have about the same footprint as my chair. It has 4 speeds so it is easy to control in the house on 1 or 2. The joystick/ Cooley hat has nice progression, can be easy to bump when doing something while sitting still. It has a phone app that you can drive it with from another room but it takes awhile to get the hang of it. Kind of like an RC airplane or such.
                  Again check the Whill site as they have multiple “Ambassadors” who will bring one to you to try. That’s how I did it, no pressure to purchase.

Comment

Are you able to drive in the whill? Are you able to use a q lock or ez lock in an accessible van with the whill?

Comment

I don't drive from it. I use transfer seat in my van. I don't see how it could be used with one of the locks as it's pretty low to the ground and the frame separates in the middle for storage. I also don't think it is really user friendly for a para to break down by them selves as the seat portion and armrest portion comes off as one and is pretty heavy and bulky. The other pieces are fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X