Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my Dad's insurance will cover a LAL mattress. One DME offered

https://www.corkmedical.com/support-surfaces

The Elite Balance Air series mattress is the powered alternating mattress that the DME claims is "LAL", but the DME rep admits it does not have any holes allowing air flow (which is what I thought ?LAL was defined by?). So not sure what that mattress really is.

Or another DME will provide this one...

https://proactivemedical.com/product...ekt-aire-3000/

These mattresses are relatively inexpensive compared with other brands I hear about on this board. I don't know why the prices are so wildly different, and how the quality compares. Somehow, this makes me suspicious of the ones via insurance.

But we have a problem in addition to the mattress. We have to have a hospital/adjustable bed to put it on or insurance wont pay for it. The Transfermaster Queen sized adjustable bed my Dad bought never came. We had a terrible experience with the moving company assigned to move the bed inside and provide "white glove service". To make a long story short, they said they couldn't move the heavy bed up to my Dad's bedroom, no other movers were willing to attempt the job, so we have to return the bed.

So we are back to square one. No good mattress yet, no adjustable bed. But at least the pressure injuries from the Sleep Number bed have disappeared.

Comment

The fact that you have healed the pressure injuries is positive. I would tell you to keep on the insurance company to assist you. The other thought that I had was whether or not you made sure that the flooring of your home would be able to handle a queen size bed. While the weight may have been the movers issue, I do wonder if there may be this problem, making it possible that you could purchase a full size bed. If may not be ideal but may be part of the solution.
      ckf
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Hello hlh, have you checked out air mattresses from Rest Performance mattresses yet? I was in the market for a new mattress for the same reason as you, to treat/prevent pressure sores. Rest offers mattresses that are broken up into five separate chambers that are adjustable using an app on your cell phone. With "The Essential" model only the middle 3 air chambers are adjustable, the head and foot are not adjustable. With "The Original" model mattress, all five chambers are adjustable.

When I first ordered my mattress, covid was just starting to break out and this caused major delays in the mattress delivery. It was some six months later that I finally got my mattress. The company was more than fair though, they gave me at least three $50 courtesy credits during those first few months. I was trying to be patient but after the sixth month I called to find out what was going on. The manager I spoke with explained that certain parts they use in their air pumps are the same exact parts used in ventilators which of course were going to the many covid patients. The manager then offer to upgrade my order from the Essential model($3000) to the Original model($4000) at no extra charge. I of course agreed and I'm so glad I did! Having the ability to adjust the five different chambers makes getting comfortable and pressure sore management much easier. They offer a few different types of home foam toppers, I went with a basic foam, I don't do well with memory foam. So, if you're still looking for an air mattress, check out Rest Performance, great quality mattresses manufactured by a great company!

they're at https://restperformance.com/buy-now/, hope this helps, good luck.
        Dan G. in CT

Comment

Originally posted by Quadzila@optonline.net View Post
          Hello hlh, have you checked out air mattresses from Rest Performance mattresses yet? I was in the market for a new mattress for the same reason as you, to treat/prevent pressure sores. Rest offers mattresses that are broken up into five separate chambers that are adjustable using an app on your cell phone. With "The Essential" model only the middle 3 air chambers are adjustable, the head and foot are not adjustable. With "The Original" model mattress, all five chambers are adjustable.

When I first ordered my mattress, covid was just starting to break out and this caused major delays in the mattress delivery. It was some six months later that I finally got my mattress. The company was more than fair though, they gave me at least three $50 courtesy credits during those first few months. I was trying to be patient but after the sixth month I called to find out what was going on. The manager I spoke with explained that certain parts they use in their air pumps are the same exact parts used in ventilators which of course were going to the many covid patients. The manager then offer to upgrade my order from the Essential model($3000) to the Original model($4000) at no extra charge. I of course agreed and I'm so glad I did! Having the ability to adjust the five different chambers makes getting comfortable and pressure sore management much easier. They offer a few different types of home foam toppers, I went with a basic foam, I don't do well with memory foam. So, if you're still looking for an air mattress, check out Rest Performance, great quality mattresses manufactured by a great company!

they're at https://restperformance.com/buy-now/, hope this helps, good luck.

I'll take a look. Not familiar with this line. What drew you to them, instead of the popular sleep number?

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
            The fact that you have healed the pressure injuries is positive. I would tell you to keep on the insurance company to assist you. The other thought that I had was whether or not you made sure that the flooring of your home would be able to handle a queen size bed. While the weight may have been the movers issue, I do wonder if there may be this problem, making it possible that you could purchase a full size bed. If may not be ideal but may be part of the solution.
            ckf

Yeah, good point. We are trying now to find out if we can get a Flexabed instead, and may consider a Full Sized. I hate to restrict him to a small Twin sized hospital bed unless there is no other choice, as that will be small for him. Apparently it has been very difficult to find movers these days because of COVID related issues, so the bed companies have had a lot of problems. We will try to hire a moving company before buying the bed to come to his house and assess what they are willing to try to move.

I'm still at a loss about what to do about the mattress. I just ordered one of the Geo-Matt toppers that KLD recommends, to put on top of his ROHO Prodigy static air overlay, which is on top of his Sleep Number mattress. Which is just.... crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by hlh View Post

I'll take a look. Not familiar with this line. What drew you to them, instead of the popular sleep number?
              Hey, I was only having problems with pressure sores on my right rib cage, I figured it would be better if I could reduce pressure in just that area instead of the entire mattress. FYI, I'm pretty sure they only sell queen size and larger mattresses and the air chambers are adjustable on each side of the bed, left and right via the app.
              Dan G. in CT

Comment

Putting one mattress on top of another is not a good idea since it can impact the effectivieness of the bottom mattress(es). Plus it must raise him pretty high on the bed, making are more difficult.
                ckf
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                  Putting one mattress on top of another is not a good idea since it can impact the effectivieness of the bottom mattress(es). Plus it must raise him pretty high on the bed, making are more difficult.
                  ckf
                  Yes, I agree. It is terrible. These are desperate/temporary measures.

Comment

As long as you realize that your solution may not be a solution.
                    ckf

Comment

Working...
                    X