No announcement yet.

Sleep Number mattress question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a c5-6 complete and have had one for, I'm guessing, 12 years. I love it and miss it when I'm away. I raise the bottom of the bed if my feet have swelled-up during the day and, occasionally, will turn on the massage (it's kind of loud) but, as I sleep on my side, I usually have the bed flat. At 80 when I'm on my left side, 60 when laying on my right.
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by goldnucs View Post
      I'm a c5-6 complete and have had one for, I'm guessing, 12 years. I love it and miss it when I'm away. I raise the bottom of the bed if my feet have swelled-up during the day and, occasionally, will turn on the massage (it's kind of loud) but, as I sleep on my side, I usually have the bed flat. At 80 when I'm on my left side, 60 when laying on my right.
      Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

My Dad tried 30 last night, but woke up in terrible pain around 4am. I am starting to wonder if going lower is not always the answer. He doesn't have his adjustable base yet, so he just elevates his head with a wedge/pillows, so that may be interfering with him spreading his weight well on the mattress .....since his upper body doesn't lie on the mattress directly.

We may try adding another memory foam topper on top until we get the adjustable base in a few weeks. Meanwhile, I will try to lower the wedge a bit, if he can tolerate it.

Comment

Originally posted by hlh View Post

Thanks for sharing this. You are right about the 100 setting. It isn't as hard/firm as I thought it might be. That's wonderful it works so well for you. Do you usually sleep with your head elevated?
        It depends. If I recently ate or think I might have acid reflux, I sleep with the head elevated. Also, I get a lot of headaches, I think from bowel issues, and I find keeping the head elevated helps with those. Otherwise I sleep with the head flat.

Comment

Originally posted by hlh View Post

Thanks for sharing this. Do you remember if you needed a few nights to figure it out, or did you sleep through the night right away? Do you turn in the night?

He tried 35 last night, and did better than the night before, but pretty sore by the morning.
          It takes a few nights to figure out what's the most comfortable
          Sales@rollinginparadise.com

Comment

My Dad is still having a terrible time with pain on the Sleep Number bed, and I think he will develop a pressure sore soon. He would prefer not turning at night, but wakes up with a large red circle on his left hip when he sleeps most of the night on his side, and now it doesn't fade (but will blanche). Just... ugh. We tried adding a couple more inches of Memory foam on top, and it might be worse. I am trying to lower the wedge at the head of his bed as low as he will tolerate, but even that isn't helping. He may just need to be on air instead of foam.

Ugh. I don't know what to do. It is hard for him to turn on his own, as he uses a CPAP, sleeps on a wedge, has the night bag from the foley etc.. just so many working parts. Plus the pain at night. Maybe we need to return the Sleep Number mattress. But we got rid of his old one...

Sorry for whining.

Comment

Disaster. He now has early pressure sores on both hips, also possibly on another location on his butt (from sitting on the mattress) and his old sore that started on his toilet seat is breaking down more.

Comment

So sorry. I was told in rehab that pressure + moisture + time was a sure fire recipe for developing sores. Gotta mitigate each of them. If he's just not willing to turn (time), then that's on him, as hard as it is for you. I do wonder if the memory foam might be sleeping "hot" causing him to sweat a bit. I sweat badly on memory foam, has zero circulation. Sleep Number has a cooling unit option too, I think, to help with that. Might be worth it, if he sweats in bed.
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                  So sorry. I was told in rehab that pressure + moisture + time was a sure fire recipe for developing sores. Gotta mitigate each of them. If he's just not willing to turn (time), then that's on him, as hard as it is for you. I do wonder if the memory foam might be sleeping "hot" causing him to sweat a bit. I sweat badly on memory foam, has zero circulation. Sleep Number has a cooling unit option too, I think, to help with that. Might be worth it, if he sweats in bed.
                  Thanks so much for your thoughts.

We got my Dad the Variacool 2" Memory foam extra layer to go on top (7" of memory foam total! on top of the air chambers) to help the warmth issue, and it works well. But that layer may be firmer than the rest of the topper and may making things worse. He is also trying to turn/change his position in the night when he wakes up in pain, and I am turning him twice a night (usually left side to back, rarely to the right). Turning is a bit hard, because he uses CPAP (and it leaks a lot if we don't have it positioned just right), and he has to sleep at an angle to prevent his aspiration/GI symptoms (so we have to rearrange pillows/angles with each turn). I am trying to lower him as much as possible so he doesn't sleep on a very high wedge. It will still be a week or two before he gets his Transfermaster adjustable bed frame.

Maybe he just can't tolerate this type of mattress design, and just needs to be on air. Aging skin. He has lost some weight with all of his GI problems and has a mostly liquid diet now. He has ROHO cushions on every surface of the house he sits on, and those treat him well. It is too bad the ROHO overlays don't seem to be sufficient for him in bed though... at least because he sleeps with his head elevated, on his side. He was bottoming out on them.

He has an appointment with the Wound Care doctor on Thursday, but unfortunately her extremely knowledgeable nurse left and the doctor is not as helpful with equipment/SCI advice. I have no confidence that she will help us try to order anything from insurance.

We may have to look at the Mattresses from Transfermaster (PressureGuard). We can return the Sleep Number mattress. If anyone has any other suggestions to try before we do, let me know. We were going to keep it until the adjustable bed frame comes and he talks with his Wound care doctor. It will probably take weeks/months for a new mattress to come so that's an issue. And unfortunately, most of the more hospital grade air mattresses come with a NO RETURN policy.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                    SCI-Nurse commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Have you looked at a Dolphin mattress? Not cheap, but can be very effective. Different techology than either LAL or Sleep Number (KLD)

One thing I really enjoy is the ease of changing the sheets with My sleep Number (p5) bed with the mechanical base. I raise the head and feet as high as it'll go when putting on the mattress protector, mattress pad and bottom sheet on the bed. This makes for less bending. Then I make the bed flat and the sheets are tight and wrinkle free.
                  T12 Complete since 1982. TiLite Tx

Comment

Originally posted by rshadd View Post
                    One thing I really enjoy is the ease of changing the sheets with My sleep Number (p5) bed with the mechanical base. I raise the head and feet as high as it'll go when putting on the mattress protector, mattress pad and bottom sheet on the bed. This makes for less bending. Then I make the bed flat and the sheets are tight and wrinkle free.
                    That's brilliant. 👍
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by rshadd View Post

I agree this is simple, and totally useful advice. Thanks!

Comment

• Have you looked at a Dolphin mattress? Not cheap, but can be very effective. Different technology than either LAL or Sleep Number (KLD)

No, I hadn't looked at Dolphin. That looks amazing, actually. But unfortunately outside of our price range... I wonder if you can ever rent those? Will keep it in mind though, if everything else fails.

He's doing a little better now that he is sleeping on a ROHO Prodigy, on top of the Sleep Number 7" memory foam, and I am lowering his sleep angle to about 30 degrees and turning him twice a night. The new red marks on his hips and ischials are improving. His wound that reopened will take awhile though, but it ?seems to be superficial.

The wound care doctor had no specific recs. She will refer him to a DME to see if they can work with his insurance to try a Level 2 mattress replacement. They don't tend to have much supply.

KLD - do you still think an air mattress wont work for him? We've only tried lower depth air overlays so far. Do you think a LAL is really necessary for him if he doesn't have advanced stage wounds/moistures issues etc..? I've seen you mention the PressureGuard EasyAir LR, but would the PressureGuard APM2 (alternating or lateral rotation) also be ok? We will try to get something through insurance first, but who knows what they will supply..... I worry about buying one since you can't return them.

I am a little worried if the usual LAL mattresses (which only come in twin sizes) may not work with my Dad's Transfermaster Queen sized frame.

It is too bad it is so hard to move and sit on the side of the bed on these air mattresses.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                          SCI-Nurse commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Most lateral rotation mattresses (LAL or otherwise) have a safety measure of turning off the turning feature once the head of the bed is elevated over 30 degrees. Full LAL mattresses offer the best pressure reduction short of an air-fluidized bed. Joerns offers Dolphin rentals to hospitals and nursing homes; not sure about residences, but you could check with them. (KLD)

Thanks KLD. Really appreciate all of your thoughts. We'll see what the DME has to offer if insurance covers anything, and I'll look at the PressureGuard LAL, which hopefully can still be placed on a larger bed frame. I'll also contact Dolphin.

Comment

For anyone else curious, I looked up the Dolphin mattress and it lists for $30,000. WOW.

Comment

WOW! That should come with bells and whistles. LOL

ckf
                            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                            X