Sleep Number mattress question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleep Number mattress question

My Dad is thinking about getting a Sleep Number mattress, after hearing the good experiences from those on this board. He has a lot of pain at night (chronic neuropathic butt pain) and sleeps mostly on his left side with the head of the bed elevated. He also has some small pressure sores that have been slow to heal and are from his elevated toilet seat and likely exacerbated by shear.

The Sleep Number rep recommended the m7 mattress that has a "cooling Memory foam" as the upper 5" comfort layer. Has anyone tried this model, which is the only one with memory foam instead of the other comfort layer components? What is the durability like? I am used to Memory foam quickly breaking down with time/pressure and needing to be replaced frequently. Has anyone had this experience with the Memory foam Sleep Number beds? If so, how often did it need to be replaced? Also, did you find that you slept cool on this mattress? My Dad is always hot/sweaty at night.

And do any of you sleep with the head of bed up at night on your Sleep Number bed? Does this cause creasing or increased breakdown of the comfort layer?

Thanks!

Pretty sure we talked but I figured I’d chime in again. As for memory phone breaking down yes over time any will get kinda soft but I have had mine 10 years and it’s not noticeable but with there warranty I bought a new memory phone top at a big discount rate since they have 25 year warranty and depending on how long depends on discount but was way cheaper than a new bed and made my bed new and I got a few other parts but love love my bed . I wish o could afford a new one as I would go top line and have adjusting base but I’d imagine with head up u will cause some kinda extra pressure else where but not sure and depending on how high up u have it. But as for sleep number I highly recommend even being crazy priced for what u feel u get when putting together lol but it’s great bed I’m in an m6 or 7 now note sure

Comment

Originally posted by Jeramie630 View Post
      Pretty sure we talked but I figured I’d chime in again. As for memory phone breaking down yes over time any will get kinda soft but I have had mine 10 years and it’s not noticeable but with there warranty I bought a new memory phone top at a big discount rate since they have 25 year warranty and depending on how long depends on discount but was way cheaper than a new bed and made my bed new and I got a few other parts but love love my bed . I wish o could afford a new one as I would go top line and have adjusting base but I’d imagine with head up u will cause some kinda extra pressure else where but not sure and depending on how high up u have it. But as for sleep number I highly recommend even being crazy priced for what u feel u get when putting together lol but it’s great bed I’m in an m6 or 7 now note sure

Thanks so much Jeramie - yes you have been a HUGE help. My Dad had the additional questions about the durability of the Memory foam layer, which I thought you had replaced recently. Do you know how long it has been since you had the new M6 or M7 comfort layer added/replaced? Do you remember about how much you paid for it? It sounds like there is only 1 year full warranty now, and then prorated after that for 15 years.

Right now there is a long back order on ordering these mattresses. Surprisingly, it is the difficulty getting the electronics/chips and now the beds are taking over 2 months to get.

Comment

So my Dad finally agreed to get this m7 memory foam Sleep Number mattress. They are having a bit of a sale right now with free shipping/instillation that ends today, and a discount off their crazy prices. He will also get the mattress protection pad, which was kind of pricey, but was recommended by others for the insurance value (replace comfort layers/mattress if they get stained etc... for 10 years).

For those of you that have these beds, if you sit on the side of the bed briefly (ex. to cath), does the edge collapse a lot from the squishy top?

Comment

Originally posted by hlh View Post
          So my Dad finally agreed to get this m7 memory foam Sleep Number mattress. They are having a bit of a sale right now with free shipping/instillation that ends today, and a discount off their crazy prices. He will also get the mattress protection pad, which was kind of pricey, but was recommended by others for the insurance value (replace comfort layers/mattress if they get stained etc... for 10 years).

For those of you that have these beds, if you sit on the side of the bed briefly (ex. to cath), does the edge collapse a lot from the squishy top?
          My edge trim gave out on my one transfer spot after about 8 years. The air bladder failed after about 15. If the bladder is inflated to a firm enough setting, then the edges are well supported also. Only at low firmness does it give in any along the edges while sitting or transferring. My remote has 2 memory settings - transfer and sleeping. Transfer is super firm, obviously. I don't always bother using it though. Sometimes I don't want to wait for it to poof up.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post

My edge trim gave out on my one transfer spot after about 8 years. The air bladder failed after about 15. If the bladder is inflated to a firm enough setting, then the edges are well supported also. Only at low firmness does it give in any along the edges while sitting or transferring. My remote has 2 memory settings - transfer and sleeping. Transfer is super firm, obviously. I don't always bother using it though. Sometimes I don't want to wait for it to poof up.

This is so helpful. Thank you! We will work on finding good settings for when he sits on the side of the bed.

Were they able to replace the failed air bladder without too much trouble/expense?

Comment

Originally posted by hlh View Post

This is so helpful. Thank you! We will work on finding good settings for when he sits on the side of the bed.

Were they able to replace the failed air bladder without too much trouble/expense?
              I found a re-seller on eBay who refurbishes damaged air chambers. Bought one from them for ~$200. I later sold the damaged one back to them for $75. I did the install with one of my kids and it was easy enough. Been working fine now for a few months since. (The new OEM bladders from Sleep Number were twice as much $. They range from ~$100-500 depending on size and features/model.)
              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post

I found a re-seller on eBay who refurbishes damaged air chambers. Bought one from them for ~$200. I later sold the damaged one back to them for $75. I did the install with one of my kids and it was easy enough. Been working fine now for a few months since. (The new OEM bladders from Sleep Number were twice as much $. They range from ~$100-500 depending on size and features/model.)

That's great to hear. Good for you for fixing it yourself.

Comment

Be sure and get the waterproof cover if you buy it at point of sale and your dad has an issue that goes through they will replace everything. In the last 10 years they replaced pretty much the entire top and sides of our bed two times after having an external catheter blow off

as for the sleep number in general we have the mid-level P5 and absolutely love it we also have a flex base, fantastic bed worth every penny
                  Sales@rollinginparadise.com

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                    Be sure and get the waterproof cover if you buy it at point of sale and your dad has an issue that goes through they will replace everything. In the last 10 years they replaced pretty much the entire top and sides of our bed two times after having an external catheter blow off

as for the sleep number in general we have the mid-level P5 and absolutely love it we also have a flex base, fantastic bed worth every penny

Yes - because of your great advice, my Dad got the cover you mentioned (I think they call it the mattress protection pad now) and we were lucky to see it was on sale 20% off. Sounds like great extra insurance to get. Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

Well, my Dad just got his m7 Sleep number bed yesterday, and had a terrible night sleep with a lot of pain. He was cursing the mattress. Wondering how long it took you guys to find your "sleep number" and adjust? He sleeps on his side mostly, with a little on his back, but sleeps with his head of the bed elevated. He is about 6 feet tall.

What sleep number do you use for sleeping? How do you sleep (position/head elevated)? How long did it take you to settle in to your bed?

He may need an additional 2" memory foam on top of the 5". You can buy that separately at Sleep Number, hoping that their version doesn't need replacement every 4 months!

Comment

I personally always use the 100 setting. I have the smallest, firmest, cheapest mattress. I like firm mattresses, I guess. In my opinion, even that 100 is not really firm; rather it would be called medium for a normal mattress. But my mattress is not that good for side sleeping. I have many problems side sleeping anyway because my legs can get sores from rubbing against each other. But here the mattress should be plusher for side sleeping, although I still side sleep for a few hours at times.

Some say one must get used to a new mattress, and maybe that is a good idea. I loved mine from the moment I got it 9 months ago. It has mostly eliminated redness, even after sleeping in the same position for 6 hours. The head-raising feature helps my acid reflux; the foot-raising feature helps my edema. I definitely sleep better than I did with Tempur-pedic.

Comment

Originally posted by xsfxsf View Post
                          I personally always use the 100 setting. I have the smallest, firmest, cheapest mattress. I like firm mattresses, I guess. In my opinion, even that 100 is not really firm; rather it would be called medium for a normal mattress. But my mattress is not that good for side sleeping. I have many problems side sleeping anyway because my legs can get sores from rubbing against each other. But here the mattress should be plusher for side sleeping, although I still side sleep for a few hours at times.

Some say one must get used to a new mattress, and maybe that is a good idea. I loved mine from the moment I got it 9 months ago. It has mostly eliminated redness, even after sleeping in the same position for 6 hours. The head-raising feature helps my acid reflux; the foot-raising feature helps my edema. I definitely sleep better than I did with Tempur-pedic.
                          Thanks for sharing this. You are right about the 100 setting. It isn't as hard/firm as I thought it might be. That's wonderful it works so well for you. Do you usually sleep with your head elevated?

Comment

im a 45 sleeper.
                            Sales@rollinginparadise.com

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                              im a 45 sleeper.
                              Thanks for sharing this. Do you remember if you needed a few nights to figure it out, or did you sleep through the night right away? Do you turn in the night?

He tried 35 last night, and did better than the night before, but pretty sore by the morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X