Side guard fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side guard fit?

Received my new ZRA at Shepherd last week! BUT I need large side guards instead of the small ones on the new chair. Thought I could just change them out from my old ZRA but found that they won't fit! The "tab" or "male" part is a smidgen thicker on the old guard, so it won't fit in the "slot". My question is, if I order new large side guards will they fit the new "female" slots? I don't know what brand these are either, if that makes a difference. I'd rather not order new hardware for the new side guards if I don't have to.
    Last edited by Lynne; 1 Jun 2021, 5:04 PM. Reason: missing word.

If I'm understanding this correctly.....Can you loosen the clamp screws to make it fit? Then if you want the sideguards to be a slip fit--quickly removable without tools--you can mount the tab with an experimentally determined number of paper shims to keep the slot open when you tighten the screws.

Comment

Originally posted by endo_aftermath View Post
      If I'm understanding this correctly.....Can you loosen the clamp screws to make it fit? Then if you want the sideguards to be a slip fit--quickly removable without tools--you can mount the tab with an experimentally determined number of paper shims to keep the slot open when you tighten the screws.
      Wow! Thanks endo_aftermath. It didn't occur to me that those screws adjusted the width of the slot! Duh?! I'll see about that pronto.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
        Received my new ZRA at Shepherd last week! BUT I need large side guards instead of the small ones on the new chair. Thought I could just change them out from my old ZRA but found that they won't fit! The "tab" or "male" part is a smidgen thicker on the old guard, so it won't fit in the "slot". My question is, if I order new large side guards will they fit the new "female" slots? I don't know what brand these are either, if that makes a difference. I'd rather not order new hardware for the new side guards if I don't have to.
        As endo says, loosen off the two countersunk securing machine screws then, if you want the guards fixed, clamp up hard on to the sideguard tabs. The clamp side plates are spring loaded.
        If you want the sideguards to be removable, shim the clamp sideplates to allow a fit that works for you and tighten up those securing machine screws - I recommend that you use suitable strength Loctite, or similar.
        I transfer from one side of my chair so have one sideguard fixed and one removable.

Comment

Originally posted by slow_runner View Post

As endo says, loosen off the two countersunk securing machine screws then, if you want the guards fixed, clamp up hard on to the sideguard tabs. The clamp side plates are spring loaded.
          If you want the sideguards to be removable, shim the clamp sideplates to allow a fit that works for you and tighten up those securing machine screws - I recommend that you use suitable strength Loctite, or similar.
          I transfer from one side of my chair so have one sideguard fixed and one removable.
          Thanks, slow_runner and endo_aftermath! I could see how that would work; I loosened the securing screws and fit the large guards in. THEN I decided I'd want large on both chairs, so I called tilite and they said new large guards would fit the tabs for the small guards; that my old large guards probably did have wider tabs back then. So I ordered new large guards. Thanks guys for the help!

Comment

Working...
          X