Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a new ZRA (or ZR), would appreciate some advice!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Your casters seem to be at the lowest hole on the forks, ie raised as high as possible? Try a bit more dump with the camber tube and or alter your back angle??

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by slow_runner View Post
      Your casters seem to be at the lowest hole on the forks, ie raised as high as possible? Try a bit more dump with the camber tube and or alter your back angle??
      How does the higher (vs lower) caster setting affect stability?

      And are you suggesting more chair dump so that I fit in more snugly? I already have a 3" dump so I'm not really sure I want more. I could start using a seatbelt which would at least prevent me from flying out, but I'm not sure if the entire chair would just flip forward instead. I'd really like to look for a solution where the front casters don't hard-catch as easily

      Comment


        #18
        Nah, not for more snug, more dump to lower COG to minimise projecting you out. Or perhaps you could change the back angle.
        If your caster wheel was positioned midpoint or highest, your could fine tune change in dump by dropping the wheel position down to a lower position - raising the FSH.
        I dont see a lot more that you can do on such a short frame.
        I cant be sure but I get the impression that TiLite are doing their best to reduce the footprint for agility and maneuverability - at the cost of stability.
        Is your frame standard length or plus (1", 1 1/2", etc)
        Plus perhaps the spring of the ZR frame is contributing. I don't like that 'minimum' frame - maybe on smooth seal surfaces they perform ok.

        Aside: My first bike was a 1958 pre-unit 650 Triumph Thunderbird - the two piece frame bolted at the seat frame and front down tube? ( so long ago) That frame tried to come round to greet your on medium to tight corners. It was reliable but a bitch of a thing. I was glad to see the arse end of it.
        Last edited by slow_runner; 2 Jun 2021, 2:16 AM.

        Comment


          #19
          I have never felt any frame flex on my Ti-Lite.
          My first chair (Quickie Revolution) had 4 or 5" solid casters and could really dig in to any little obstruction it encountered.
          The TiLite replaced it and was ordered short wheelbase with Frogs Legs and 4" casters. Despite the short wheelbase it is orders of magnitude better when it meets an obstruction-which I attribute to the FrogsLegs.
          69yo male T12 complete since 1995
          NW NJ

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
            I have never felt any frame flex on my Ti-Lite.
            My first chair (Quickie Revolution) had 4 or 5" solid casters and could really dig in to any little obstruction it encountered.
            The TiLite replaced it and was ordered short wheelbase with Frogs Legs and 4" casters. Despite the short wheelbase it is orders of magnitude better when it meets an obstruction-which I attribute to the FrogsLegs.
            Yeah, I can see having something like an actual suspension system helping with obstructions, but I've also heard that you just lose so much pushing power as a result with any non-rigid parts

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by faji_tama View Post

              Yeah, I can see having something like an actual suspension system helping with obstructions, but I've also heard that you just lose so much pushing power as a result with any non-rigid parts
              My casters are pretty much un-weighed when I'm pushing. And the compliance of FrogLegs is in the direction of motion so I don't imagine
              them being parasitic.

              I will say, you'll be glad you have them when you hit a 1/2" rise at a crack!
              69yo male T12 complete since 1995
              NW NJ

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by faji_tama View Post

                Yeah, I can see having something like an actual suspension system helping with obstructions, but I've also heard that you just lose so much pushing power as a result with any non-rigid parts
                Especially when pushing on a slanted sidewalk or uneven ground.

                Comment

                Working...
                X