2003 Ford E250 VMI Liberty - I Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 Ford E250 VMI Liberty - I Need help

I'm the recent owner of this van. If you have one or had one... I need to ask some questions! Thanks in advance. Currently looking at replacing the custom gas tank. I guess many of these conversions had custom tanks due to the modifications.

Cheers,

Guess no one drives these anymore.

Comment

I have a 2000 E-150, VMI Liberty conversion with lowered floor. Gas tank switched from left (driver-side) to right.
      Know Thyself

Comment

Hmmm. My 2003 has a tank in the rear, behind the axle. Unfortunately it was not a different Ford tank, but a custom one with the filler on the opposite side. Thought maybe someone had to deal with this and found a suitable substitute. Hard to lookup tanks by dimensions.

Comment

The lowered floor necessitates the modified tank/filler location. Why do you want to change it?
          Know Thyself

Comment

You already checked, Sorry, just trying help.
            Sorry, I'm just curious because I know nothing about VMI and custom fuel tank. I did a search and looks like, or hopefully this helps. Looks like a rear tank was on Ford 250 for a few models including 2003(hopefully it will fit yours):
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/17390203627...8AAOSwnw9aA0oX
            That one is cheap compared to metal tank.
            But at these prices I'd check junk yards in your area. Or check custom auto builder in your area.
            Do you just have a leak? Rust? had it damaged in wreck? Maybe a place can repair. I know plastic radiator can be repaired there's place here in our town.
            Anyway, if small leak there's stuff buy at Walmart to repair metal or plastic tanks, not sure I'd trust my van's tank to those.

Comment

Didn't remember to tell the whole story. The van itself only has about 50K miles on it, but it lived in snow country. The tank has started leaking. As well it's rusted and partially still under coated. It hay be salvageable with welding and/or sandblasting and coatings. Or that may not be worth it.
              Just thought maybe someone had this experience before. Until we get it down, I can't be sure there isn't some other space constraint. Thanks for that ebay link.
              Mark

Comment

VMI is probably your best bet if you have to replace it.
                Know Thyself

Comment

When adapted vans get older most mobility dealers won't work on them. The only other options are to find an independent shop, or someone with mechanical talent to do the work. You might want to run it by a few autobody shops to see if they'd be interested in doing the repair.

Comment

Working...
                  X