Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tall guys - what adjustable bed/mattress are you using? What size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tall guys - what adjustable bed/mattress are you using? What size?

My Dad is looking at getting his first fully adjustable bed (?Flexabed ?Transfermaster) and mattress suitable for aging skin and some healing shear injuries on his rear. He used to be 6 foot 2" but thinks he has shrunk an inch or two.

Up until now he has slept on a California King sized bed, and he sleeps with the head of the bed elevated. Now he wants a full sized bed, but he still wants the XL 84" length.

But I am starting to realize this is a tough size. While I can find the bed frames at Flexabed/Transfermaster in that size, I think a lot of specialty mattresses don't come in that size. For example, he was thinking about a Sleep Number mattress, but only the California Kings come in the long 84".

So wondering - those of you over 6 foot tall, what size bed/mattress are you in? Are you all in twins or California Kings with an 84" length? What mattress? Do we have more options for mattresses if he doesn't want a twin or California King but needs the extra long size?

6' 2" in a twin XL Sleep Number. We have this set up with another twin XL in a split king configuration.

Comment

To echo endo, I am 6'2" and sleep in a Sleep Science split king adjustable bed with my wife. The split king has two individual XL twins like endo said. Given the full adjustment of the bed, I find the size to be plenty since I don't have to roll around like I did on a flat bed. I elevate my feet (to reduce swelling from a day in the chair) and incline my head a bit since it is a much more comfortable sleeping position due to the way my back is fused with rods. My wife loves it because I have independent control over my position when she wants to sleep flat. I love it because it has a snoring button I can push that will raise her side up a little when she is snoring too loud and keeping me awake...

Comment

Originally posted by ToastGuard View Post
        I love it because it has a snoring button I can push that will raise her side up a little when she is snoring too loud and keeping me awake...
        That is amazing.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by endo_aftermath View Post
          6' 2" in a twin XL Sleep Number. We have this set up with another twin XL in a split king configuration.

Thanks for sharing.

I figured this would be the most popular option for you tall guys who are sharing your bed. It is so convenient when you can control each side separately. Sadly, my Mom has passed away since my Dad's injury. He'd like to keep a bigger bed, but King is too big for him now. And a twin is still too small.

Comment

If your bed frame allows it, could you add a spacer made of foam rubber to extend the full size mattress? It could require custom sheets but knit sheets may stretch enough if you're only talking about a few inches.

I use a 4" spacer like this, but outside the sheet to keep the mattress nearer the top of the bed frame and away from the footboard. Even though the sheet comes up at the end of the mattress, unless I pull on it, I'm gaining several inches of length.
            Last edited by endo_aftermath; 29 Apr 2021, 9:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by endo_aftermath View Post
              If your bed frame allows it, could you add a spacer made of foam rubber to extend the full size mattress? It could require custom sheets but knit sheets may stretch enough if you're only talking about a few inches.

I use a 4" spacer like this, but outside the sheet to keep the mattress nearer the top of the bed frame and away from the footboard. Even though the sheet comes up at the end of the mattress, unless I pull on it, I'm gaining several inches of length.

This is an interesting idea. Thanks!

Comment

I use a full size Sleep Number, although I am not really sure of the length. I like it a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by xsfxsf View Post
                  I use a full size Sleep Number, although I am not really sure of the length. I like it a lot.
                  That's the size my Dad would like. But they don't have an XL length online. How tall are you? Do you feel like your feet are sliding off the edge? Do you sleep on an adjustable bed frame? If so, which one? Do you prop up your head when you sleep, or lie flat?

The wound care doc has been negative about Sleep Number beds when you have active sores, but his Physical therapist likes the idea, since it should be easier to move/shift on the bed without shearing by turning up the firmness for transfers etc.. I was thinking he could get the sleep number mattress and put it on an adjustable bed frame and add an air topper (ROHO) while the sores are healing, and then maybe take it off when they are healed. But if we can't get a sleep number mattress in the size my Dad prefers I need to figure out some other mattress...

Comment

I am about 6'0''. My legs do not slide off. SleepNumber sells special fitted sheets for use with adjustable frames that help the sheets stay on the mattress. This helps the bed stay made and the sheets covering my feet.

I use the adjustable bed frame, which is critical for me: raising the head helps stop acid reflux and also makes cathing slightly easier; raising the feet helps with edema. I would not recommend this for someone with active wounds of course. I have much less redness and I sleep much better than I did with my old Tempurpedic, but there is still some redness if I am on it for hours.

You cannot put a Sleep Number mattress on a frame other than their own, at least, this seems like it would not really work. I use their cheapest and firmest mattress, although I forget the model, and I always have it set to 100. For more pressure relief the plusher, fatter mattresses are likely better, but I like firm mattresses. (What SleepNumber calls "firm" is really "medium"). One of the reasons I did not get the plusher/fatter model mattresses is that these are more difficult to transfer and move around in. I use whatever their default adjustable frame is: it has adjustable head and foot. Oh, if one gets it, make sure you get the mattress as one piece, not as two different mattresses next to each other. I also typically sleep with three down pillows, also from SleepNumber. Whether I raise the head or feet depends on how I am feeling with respect to edema and acid reflux at the time.

The mattress I have is not great for side sleeping; one would probably get a softer, thicker mattress for that. I find side sleeping is tough to arrange by myself, it is hard to prevent one leg resting on another leg and causing redness/pressure sore, regardless of the mattress.
                    Last edited by xsfxsf; 2 May 2021, 4:59 PM.

Comment

6'4" using a queen size firm/plush mattress with two thick soft fitted topper protector cooling sheets and a Sealy Posturepedic adjustable bed.

Comment

Originally posted by xsfxsf View Post
                        I am about 6'0''. My legs do not slide off. SleepNumber sells special fitted sheets for use with adjustable frames that help the sheets stay on the mattress. This helps the bed stay made and the sheets covering my feet.

I use the adjustable bed frame, which is critical for me: raising the head helps stop acid reflux and also makes cathing slightly easier; raising the feet helps with edema. I would not recommend this for someone with active wounds of course. I have much less redness and I sleep much better than I did with my old Tempurpedic, but there is still some redness if I am on it for hours.

You cannot put a Sleep Number mattress on a frame other than their own, at least, this seems like it would not really work. I use their cheapest and firmest mattress, although I forget the model, and I always have it set to 100. For more pressure relief the plusher, fatter mattresses are likely better, but I like firm mattresses. (What SleepNumber calls "firm" is really "medium"). One of the reasons I did not get the plusher/fatter model mattresses is that these are more difficult to transfer and move around in. I use whatever their default adjustable frame is: it has adjustable head and foot. Oh, if one gets it, make sure you get the mattress as one piece, not as two different mattresses next to each other. I also typically sleep with three down pillows, also from SleepNumber. Whether I raise the head or feet depends on how I am feeling with respect to edema and acid reflux at the time.

The mattress I have is not great for side sleeping; one would probably get a softer, thicker mattress for that. I find side sleeping is tough to arrange by myself, it is hard to prevent one leg resting on another leg and causing redness/pressure sore, regardless of the mattress.

Thanks for sharing this! Interesting to hear that the Full sized Sleep Number works for you, since it is only 75" long. Especially since you raise the head of the bed, I thought your feet might fall off the end since you are tall.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthQuad View Post
                          6'4" using a queen size firm/plush mattress with two thick soft fitted topper protector cooling sheets and a Sealy Posturepedic adjustable bed.

Interesting to hear a queen works for you. Maybe that would be a decent compromise. Do you ever sleep with the head of the bed up? Do your feet fall off the bed?

Comment

Originally posted by hlh View Post

Interesting to hear a queen works for you. Maybe that would be a decent compromise. Do you ever sleep with the head of the bed up? Do your feet fall off the bed?
                            It's a tight squeeze length wise but it works fine. Plenty of width. I raise my feet up slightly to help reduce the swelling in my feet and raise the head of the bed a touch for comfort. When I turn on my side, I lay the bed flat.

Comment

Working...
                            X