Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Push rims for Go! Anywhere SP shower chair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Push rims for Go! Anywhere SP shower chair?

Added April 12 - Please see my reply later in this thread dated April 12 before taking this post as any judgment about the Go! Anywhere chair and the company that produces it. I only have good things to say!

I recently bought a Go! Anywhere self-propelled shower chair to travel with. I use a Raz SP at home, but it's just too much of a hassle to bring it with me since I am on the road fairly often. The new chair seems okay, but has a major problem for me in that there are no push rims on the wheels, and the airless tires are made of some incredibly hard rubber, almost like plastic, and I can't get any purchase at all with my quad hands to push them (in the dry... haven't even tried them in the wet!). Even getting over the bump from hardwood floor to rug is pretty challenging, never mind getting over the threshold into the bathroom, or up the 3/8" rise into my plastic roll in shower basin. I just can't do it.

The rims are clearly made to take push rims, but when I contacted the company they told me they can't get me any and that this has never been a problem for anyone else. I have a little trouble believing that, but okay. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy push rims for these 20" wheels? There are eight mounting points oriented straight through the rims, so 90 deg off from typical wheelchair push rim mounts, but the same orientation as my Raz (I guess this means rivnuts). And it measures 16.5" across between the mounting holes.

Thanks in advance for any help!

https://goesanywhere.com/collections...ir-self-propel

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210409_141953_DRO.jpg Views:	0 Size:	747.4 KB ID:	2908424
    Last edited by ejl10; 12 Apr 2021, 6:44 PM.
    C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

How about some off old hospital chair. That's what the mounts are.

Comment

Wind surgical rubber tubing around the tires?
      69yo male T12 complete since 1995
      NW NJ

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations, definitely along the lines of what I was thinking.

I looked all over the place and this is definitely not a common item. But I did manage to find a set of pushrims that looks like it might work, so my fingers are crossed. Pricey, though, very pricey.

https://goldeneramart.com/collection...e-pushrim-pair (Item named "20 X 1 3/8” VINYL COATED RIVNUT (8) TYPE PUSHRIMS (PAIR), Item #: PR014, $125.40" in case the URL changes.)

Comment

No push rims on a self propelled chair ?
          Those wheels are obviously designed to accept push-rims to enable the disabled, esp quads tetra.
          I would call that the company has a minor anomaly in their service plan for their clientele .
          You have consumer laws over there? If it is not fit for purpose you have the option to send it back.

These companies have the chairs with pushrims as standard.

https://www.rehabmart.com/product/ha...air-36007.html

https://www.theospreygroup.co.uk/pro...d-shower-chair

Among our large membership someone on this site is bound to have a set of plastic/nylon rims with push rims or just the push rims to offer
          Last edited by slow_runner; 12 Apr 2021, 7:35 PM. Reason: My original script was overly aggressive. My apologies to you Rick, you seem like a decent bloke.

Comment

What about just putting some 2-3 inch long bolts in those holes? Use those to push the chair like the quad hand rims with the pegs. Check with Brain at ABLEmobility.com he's a quad and a genius. Has invented a bunch of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
              What about just putting some 2-3 inch long bolts in those holes? Use those to push the chair like the quad hand rims with the pegs. Check with Brain at ABLEmobility.com he's a quad and a genius. Has invented a bunch of stuff.
              We can all put up creative fix-its and that is commendable and well received.
              The thing is, this chair is presented and promoted as a machine for a section of the community that cannot function in a bathing situation without an aid that fulfills the purpose.
              For those with limited hand function that wish to be as independent as possible, this machine is NOT fit for purpose.
              I have read the introduction from Rick Goldstein President and CEO of Go Mobility Solutions extolling the virtues of the chair he designed.
              Well, Rick it appears that there is a shortcoming to your design of the self-propelled shower chair for a sector of the disability community, namely push-rims.
              Neither is the required part available in your accessories section.
              Can you sort this Rick?
              Last edited by slow_runner; 12 Apr 2021, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ejl10 View Post
                I recently bought a Go! Anywhere self-propelled shower chair to travel with. I use a Raz SP at home, but it's just too much of a hassle to bring it with me since I am on the road fairly often. The new chair seems okay, but has a major problem for me in that there are no push rims on the wheels, and the airless tires are made of some incredibly hard rubber, almost like plastic, and I can't get any purchase at all with my quad hands to push them (in the dry... haven't even tried them in the wet!). Even getting over the bump from hardwood floor to rug is pretty challenging, never mind getting over the threshold into the bathroom, or up the 3/8" rise into my plastic roll in shower basin. I just can't do it.

The rims are clearly made to take push rims, but when I contacted the company they told me they can't get me any and that this has never been a problem for anyone else. I have a little trouble believing that, but okay. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy push rims for these 20" wheels? There are eight mounting points oriented straight through the rims, so 90 deg off from typical wheelchair push rim mounts, but the same orientation as my Raz (I guess this means rivnuts). And it measures 16.5" across between the mounting holes.

Thanks in advance for any help!

https://goesanywhere.com/collections...ir-self-propel

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20210409_141953_DRO.jpg Views:	0 Size:	747.4 KB ID:	2908424
                Emmet,

As I'd mentioned to you in our phone conversation, we designed the GO-Anywhere SP without push rims in order to, 1] minimize overall weight (for portability), 2] minimize overall chair width (esp, to keep at <24" as numerous bathroom doors are 2'0" and 2'4"], and 3] to help keep the cost/price of the product lower. As users are only traveling the short distance from bedroom to bathroom, and most frequently for travel, the aforementioned advantages of NOT including push rims far outweigh the disadvantages. This has, indeed, proved to be the case, as we've only had such a request, maybe, a couple of times since we began marketing the SP, going all the way back to 2007, during which time we've shipped going on 1700 units. I'm sorry that you don't believe me, however, I will swear to it on a stack of bibles. Had there been such demand we certainly would order the accessory! We offer a number of accessories for which there is a demand of a size that renders their purchase and manufacture cost-effective.

As I promised, I did go online to search for an aftermarket solution and I contacted 2 on-shore wheel suppliers whom we've done business with in the past. Nowhere could I locate push rims for 20" wheels. Our off-shore tire/wheel supplier informed me that they are only manufactured on a custom-order basis (as are the wheels) due to the minimal demand for this size wheel. When we place our next order for wheels, I will look into ordering some push rims but my gut tells me there will be, at least, a 100 pr. MOQ and that would last us years. Please keep in mind that the push rims would require that we add 3" to the depth of our Travel Bag. When our primary design priority (after safety) is portability, increasing the size and weight of anything is counter-productive to that end.

Kudos to ejl10 on locating the rims at goldeneramart.com! They look like they should work and, if so, I'd be wiling to pick-up half the cost. Send us a copy of the invoice and we'll mail you a check.

All of that said, you are welcome to return ANY GO! Mobility Solutions' products for 30 days with NO restocking fee, You may read our Return Policy HERE.

I sincerely wish that I had a more satisfactory answer for you.

Best,

Rick
                Rick Goldstein
                GO! Mobility Solutions
                facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Comment

There is some prompt action. Good on you Rick.
                  Are the push rims from Foshan Maikang Medical Equipment that you were referring to with the minimum 100 piece order at US$8 per unit?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...352c61fadnv6HC

Your company has shipped 1700 units since 2007. By any stretch, US$16 plus freight taxes etc does not appear to be an exorbitant cost to provide a better inventory for what would then be a truly 'self propelled' shower chair - the additional cost is peanuts.

Emmett, have you tried Aliexpress or Aliebaba ?
                  Or click on that link above. The minimum order is for 100 units but I also see that it may be possible for you to purchase samples at US$12 per unit.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...422218a17i7U5s
                  Last edited by slow_runner; 12 Apr 2021, 7:22 PM.

Comment

Hey there everyone! I haven't looked at this thread since yesterday morning and just noticed that folks have come to my aid. I certainly appreciate support from this community, but I just want to clarify my intention here was to solve the problem, and not suggest that this good company had done me wrong.

To be clear, I suspect that the company is doing its best to help our community by making a really good product that meets a really important set of needs. What I uncovered was a rather unique shortcoming for a select few of us, perhaps just for me, and I was excited to try to solve it. My goal was to share the solution with this community, as well as back with the company so that they could make that recommendation should any others ever have the same issue. And I also want to be clear that I didn't mean to imply that anything was being hidden from me, rather that if anyone else had had this problem they probably just never called the company to ask.

All in all, I'm confident this is a great device, and really unique to helping improve our ability to travel. I'm thrilled to have it, and excited to continue supporting this and other companies like it that take our community seriously!

Apologies to Rick and his company for implying anything other than a wish to work together solving problems.
                    Last edited by ejl10; 12 Apr 2021, 6:58 PM.

Comment

No apologies necessary Amigo and I appreciate your kind words. We try to build the best product that we can and then support it. We've got customers in our chairs for 12+ years who we're still taking care of and with the exception of cushions, we've rarely ever charged a cent for parts. Warrantee be damned! Please realize that we don't build custom commode/shower chairs so, once in awhile, someone's not 100% happy. But we do try to make them 95. Your issue is one of those tricky ones and I hope that one of the suggestion offered above gets you to that 95% or better. We're here if you need us,

r
                      Rick Goldstein
                      GO! Mobility Solutions
                      facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by ejl10 View Post
                        ..... What I uncovered was a rather unique shortcoming for a select few of us, perhaps just for me, and I was excited to try to solve it. My goal was to share the solution with this community, as well as back with the company so that they could make that recommendation should any others ever have the same issue. And I also want to be clear that I didn't mean to imply that anything was being hidden from me, rather that if anyone else had had this problem they probably just never called the company to ask...... All in all, I'm confident this is a great device, and really unique to helping improve our ability to travel. I'm thrilled to have it, and excited to continue supporting this and other companies like it that take our community seriously!......Apologies to Rick and his company for implying anything other than a wish to work together solving problems.
                        If you are after an easy fix Emmet, maybe try something like plastic doorstops with recessed fastenings such as these? https://www.bunnings.co.nz/goliath-3...-stop_p4230082

Comment

Originally posted by slow_runner View Post

If you are after an easy fix Emmet, maybe try something like plastic doorstops with recessed fastenings such as these? https://www.bunnings.co.nz/goliath-3...-stop_p4230082
                          That's a cool idea- thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X