roho issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

roho issue

I am quite disappointed with the longevity of Roho cushions. I take care of them properly and they are lightly used in terms of hours and activity level.

I have had failures after 8.2 months and 1.9, 2.4, 2.7 years. It is very stressful not knowing when you're going to have a problem that leaves you sitting on a flat metal plate.

I use the high-profile Quadro select. On a cushion that is only one month old I had a situation where one of the rear quadrants deflated on me. The Isoflow valve was closed and therefore the problem was limited to that quadrant. The next day I opened the isoflow valve, pumped it up, put it in water and could not see any bubbles. The day after this the cushion seem to be retaining air. Click image for larger version

Name:	roho2.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	2906879

I tried sitting on it for an hour or so and the quadrant did not deflate. I cannot reproduce the problem. Could it be a problem with the internal Isoflow valve?

I am awaiting my warranty replacement, but the question still remains why did this happen? Anybody hear of this or have any suggestions?

I have attached a picture showing the quadrant deflated.

Since you know were the area is what I do is over inflate it first till the corner start coming up. Then I use a spray bottle with soap and water mix. Spray the area and spread the cell apart and look for bubbles every were. They usually leak by the bottom of a cell. You have to do all cell and look under the roho as they can leak there to. I have had some that were very tricky. They would leak only at special times. I keep one in my van and it was cold out and the cushion was down. Went to open the valve and it turned in the rubber about one turn and stopped. I have had them leak there and also were the whole valve with the rubber hose leak were it goes into the roho. You can buy the whole valve and replace if they get bad. I have a few extra as I bought 5 several years ago. It the steal valve turn in the rubber easy fix. Buy contact cement the original that has the fire warning on it in a pint can like lowe's or hardware store or lumber yards. Don't buy the contact cement that is not flammable as it won't work. The valve you pry out with a pick to get underneath it then use small screwdriver to pry it off the rubber with these parts and your finger nails and fingers. I have artist brushes you can use but to clean them right away with brake clean after use. For the valve I just use a small screw driver dip it in the contact cement and apply inside the rubber and on the outside of the valve. Don't gob it on just apply a medium coat to each part. Put it back in the rubber hose till it bottoms out them twist slowly till it stops. Wit a few minutes and make sure you can blow air threw it. Over did one myself once is why you check right after it won't turn anymore so you can get it back apart before it is to late. Wait overnight that fixes that problem. There are other problems were you have to take to whole valve and rubber hose out and do the same thing. If that area is bad you seal it with contact cement clamp the are with forceps found at harbor fright or wood clamps for 24 hours. They have little rubber nubs on the other 3 corner clip them off with scissors and cement in place. Were the whole valves comes in handy. But you can usually just clean the old glue up on the rubber using brake clean and a rag. For cell sometimes you can winden the hole just buy spreading the rubber by hand. If the rubber is old or thin be careful as they can really spilt fast. Use the cement and clamps and wait 24 hours. Hole by the botton on the cell you have to cut the cell off leaving about 1/2 above bottom of the roho. Sometimes there is a red rubber band were all the cell come together to let air threw. You have to use brake clean and needle nose plyers and pry them up and pull them out so you can seal the removed cell to the cover. After that you use brake clean between the 3 or 4 air passages . I use Q-TIPS to clean and use dip a new on to put glue inside under were the cell was and use clamps and the extra 1/2 rubber to help cover that hole. I have made a piece of square steal and cover that whole cell. I use a clamp my self. If you want you can use the old cell and cut it to size for another patch after 24 hours each time you glue the are. I use the second patch for insurance if a I think I need it. I hardly ever do that. I have fixed so many over the last 45 years its no fun that's for sure. Just remmember you have to fix from inside out. Just putting a patch on the outside of hole does not work very long if at all. Sometimes if the cell is towards the middle of the roho cushion and you can't turn it so your not sitting on the repair you have to buy another one. I save some of the parts off the old one before a junk it. You get this far you can come up with other ideas as I have. Just to many to list here.
    Art

Comment

Agree with all Art has said. I’ve tried A few other cushions but Roho has worked best for me, 35 plus years. I do keep a couple around and my repair techniques are similar to most of what Art has written.
      if you submerse in water while over inflated I’d suggest moving each cell around a little bit because sometimes a small leak at base won’t show up ( bubble) until it’s been stretched a little bit.
      while I’ve successfully patched leaks at the base of the cell I usually rotate that cushion to a “back up cushion” IMO the base leaks are most vulnerable.
      somewhere in the 90’s ROHO seemed to go to a thinner rubber and I think it’s comprised durability some.
      Permobil has purchased in recent years and made some changes but I haven’t had any major problems.
      Good luck.

Comment

My cushion got its first flat last week, and it shocked me so much that I found a used backup on eBay and bought it immediately. I headed to bed that night terrified that I'd have skin breakdown, but fortunately all was well.
        C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

Hi Crags,

I am similarly disappointed in the recent longevity of my ROHO's as well.

I have used them exclusively for 30 years with out any problem - in product failure or skin concerns.

While I still have ROHO's that are 5 - 10 years old that I use as backup, all recent purchases (3 in 3 years) seem to last a year or less including a Quatro that my therapist recommended for a new power chair w/ tilt. It failed in less than a year with very little use. I like to operate on the KISS principal, so I bought a new one - single valve - as I do not trust the Quatro. Like you, I pumped it up again and it seems to hold. Even had my wife sit on it for awhile. Haven't tested underwater but I can't trust it. I can't afford to be down with a pressure sore.

I am back on a new single valve, but only expect a year out of it. Very expensive in Canada (My latest = $700+ w/ upgraded cover).

I'll have to start looking at alternatives if this continues. Its not like we have a cat or other animals damaging it. Something must be going on in terms of QC at ROHO.

Like ejl10 says, I too was terrified but lucked out. I now am paranoid and check every hour or two.

Stay vigilant.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	49A9D2BE-BC61-42FF-8500-B680B29F7033.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	237.5 KB ID:	2906917 I use this rig to keep my pressure at 70 mbar. The gauge is a leftover from when I closed my shop (we used it to diagnose leaks in the EVAP system)
            A millibar is one thousands of atmospheric pressure, so almost exactly 1 psi in the ROHO.

The tubing in the connectors are the easy to find stuff they use to hook up to refrigerators For the water dispenser and icemaker. The end that connects to the cushion it’s easy to spin because of the way they are constructed with an o ring inside, so it’s easy to turn the valve in the cushion on and off. The in-line valve isolates the pump from the rest of it because the pump leaks down if you don’t. In fact at least down almost as fast as it pops up!

I've been rid'in a roho since my flap in 2012. I've had great luck, especially if you consider my risky behaviors (like electric welding). I have a pair and a spare (house chair, car chair, and a spare). So far, in 8 years I've only had one leak (at the base of a cell and patched over the outside) and 100% reliability but I am acutely aware of the tenuous balance, or actually imbalance of air that supports me. I have patch kits in the car and in the chair pouch, but so far so good. Considering how many flats (tires) I've had, I'm doing remarkably well!
            Last edited by pfcs49; 24 Feb 2021, 5:31 PM.
            69yo male T12 complete since 1995
            NW NJ

Comment

I've been a ROHO user for almost 40 yrs. It's saved me from having skin breakdowns all these years and I'm very thankful.
              However, in recent years, they don't seem to last as long as they used to. I'm a light person and I don't play any sports.

Now I always have a back up ROHO just in case. I get a new one every time I'm eligible for one through my insurance (once every 2 years now but it used to be one every year).

Comment

I am a 68yo C6-C7 Quad. I have been using ROHO Cushions since 1980's. I did briefly experimented with the Gel pillows cushion to my regret.
                Interesting solutions have been offered. Remember, the ROHO cushions are made of rubber. Humidity (sweat, urine, secretion) could cause the rubber to degrade at a faster rate. Make sure you clean [wash with water and mild soap] and dry it thoroughly. I keep a couple of the old ones as a backup.
                But from now on, I will carry a fix kit with me all the time. Thanks to each one for pitching in on this vital subject as it is our butt health.

Comment

I'm also disappointed in the cost reduction trend with the current batch of ROHOs. I just received a new ROHO with my new chair last month and was surprised with some of the changes they've made. The inflation valve is now plastic instead of metal. The ISOFLO valve doesn't work as well as my old one and is very difficult to switch between green and red. The new pump design is an absolute joke. It barely pumps any air with each stroke and you'd better start pumping as soon as you open the valve since air will start escaping the cushion, rapidly. Be careful on how you pump though. Mine came apart after about 5 pumps and I had to reassemble it mid inflation. In the month that I've had it, it's completely deflated for no apparent reason once. I re-inflated after realizing something was wrong and it's been OK since. It's sad to see such a quality product for so many years take a turn for the worse in such a short time. I'm thinking the Permobil acquisition wasn't a good thing after all.

Comment

"In the month that I've had it, it's completely deflated for no apparent reason once. I re-inflated after realizing something was wrong and it's been OK since."

What exactly was it that you did wrong?

I have also noticed that the Isoflow valve switch is a real bitch to move back and forth. I thought perhaps it needed to break in after a couple of toggles, but now realize it may be part of their product degradation.

My bladder after my augmentation is constantly leaking and often times some mucous comes out after my bowel routine. Cleaning the Roho cushion with all of its cells is a major pain in the ass. My aides would be annoyed having to do this every other day or so.

I slip in a chuck under the cover but on top of the cells. That way if anything happens you just need to wash the cover and replace the chuck, thereby reducing the need to wash the entire cushion as often. Slipping in a chuck I do not think reduces the efficiency of the pressure reduction capabilities of the cushion in any way by slinging or "hammocking" you above the cells.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                      I'm also disappointed in the cost reduction trend with the current batch of ROHOs. I just received a new ROHO with my new chair last month and was surprised with some of the changes they've made. The inflation valve is now plastic instead of metal. The ISOFLO valve doesn't work as well as my old one and is very difficult to switch between green and red. The new pump design is an absolute joke. It barely pumps any air with each stroke and you'd better start pumping as soon as you open the valve since air will start escaping the cushion, rapidly. Be careful on how you pump though. Mine came apart after about 5 pumps and I had to reassemble it mid inflation. In the month that I've had it, it's completely deflated for no apparent reason once. I re-inflated after realizing something was wrong and it's been OK since. It's sad to see such a quality product for so many years take a turn for the worse in such a short time. I'm thinking the Permobil acquisition wasn't a good thing after all.
                      I posted earlier (above) re repairing ROHOs. After reading what Davey and others have mentioned I will say I have to agree, the overall quality and durability of ROHOs has steadily been declining in recent years.

Comment

Working...
                      X