Stainless steel QR axles - information please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stainless steel QR axles - information please

I was gifted two skanky 540 wheels of unknown origin. The attraction was that they had two TiLite axles.
    That they measured up longer than described and required for my existing Spinergy wheel set is a side issue now.
    After cutting out the hubs and removing them from their corroded bearings, they're in quite good nick.
    Except the adjust nuts are rusted examples that I wish to replace if they can be accessed.
    These axles appear as early examples with a split retainer ring on the tensioned retainer pin.
    Has anyone separated these axles?
    Do the end caps unscrew or are press/clip fit.
    Is the split retainer able to be removed and safely replaced?
    Anyone??

Thanks.

Edit:
    I found this old thread that I had contributed to (memory fade)
    Some heat on the end cap will free any Loctite- maybe it is threaded.

https://www.carecure.net/forum/sci-c...hey-come-apart
    Attached Files
    Last edited by slow_runner; 4 Feb 2021, 1:45 AM.

call charlene at sportaid i have those same wheels i have a ti lite tr tilite sent me wrong ones charlene can fit uo right up at 1/4 cost of tilite

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post
      call charlene at sportaid i have those same wheels i have a ti lite tr tilite sent me wrong ones charlene can fit uo right up at 1/4 cost of tilite
      Thanks for the lead Vicky. The airfreight to NZ would likely kill it, besides, these axles are longer than quoted when I enquired about them; they're 5 1/2".
      Someone among the community here in NZ may have use for them or swap for the correct length I require.
      Thanks once again, it is appreciated.
      Last edited by slow_runner; 4 Feb 2021, 8:49 AM.

Comment

If you want to keep them, because of their strength, drop me a PM and I'll tell you how I made my own quick releases out of an old pair that lost one of the balls.

Comment

• slow_runner
          slow_runner commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi BFD, a PM has been sent

I have long axle-pins in both my chairs. I cut up 1/2" copper pipe with a tubing cutter to take up the extra.
        If you put them on the outer end, it makes the button protrude that much more, making it easier to operate (with 2* camber, the button is still way inside of the wheel's footprint-it barely protrudes from the wheel-hub)
        If you have your pants rubbing the tire, put them inside; I've run with 1/2" spacers on the inside for years with no stress issues from being slightly less supported.
        Make several sizes and suit yourself-you can adjust then.
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

• slow_runner
          slow_runner commented
          Editing a comment
          A good suggestion Phil. I have previously drilled out nuts to to accept the shaft; they bear against the hub bearing and or the camber tube receiver well enough.
      Working...
      X