Tilite ZRA upholstery/seating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tilite ZRA upholstery/seating

I'm a t-10 para (for 33 years) and i'm currently in a 4 year old TiLite ZRA. I have had issues with the seating/upholstery (see image below): the metal brackets (#2 in the below) keep bending and eventually breaking. Going through Numotion is an absolute nightmare so I found a welder in my area who believes he can cut me the same size bracket. I'm thinking of asking him just to cut me an aluminum solid seat pan instead of buying one from Numotion (they quoted me $450). Has anyone ever tried this? Any thoughts or other solutions?

I went here and ordered bar stock and cut and drilled it to exact size, much cheaper.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/metals/alum...ts-and-bars-7/

Comment

Thanks GinoL - - how is the solid seat pan working for you?

Comment

• GinoL
        GinoL commented
        Editing a comment
        Not using a solid seat pan, upholstery. I just replaced the metal brackets with bar stock that I cut and drilled. Still holding fine after 5 years!

Aluminum seat pans are a relatively common option. They have been known to sag a bit over time. Carbon fiber sheets are also used. That's what I went to on my TiLite Z chair. I used sheets from Arris, that I found on Amazon, to cut both seat pan and side guards out of. The seat pan only needed a small trim to fit, attached with a few small strips of 3M Dual Lock, it's been attached and fixed in place for a year. I used ~2.5mm sheet for seat, but that does have a little 'spring' to it. It bends ever so slightly when I'm seated. 3-3.5mm would be rigid IMO, for most people. Multiple sheets can be configured to work on seats bigger than single sheets can be found in, too, or to accommodate ergonomic seating.

I think the CF sheets are an economical and really functional seat pan solution, if you're willing (or capable) of trimming it a bit to fit perfectly. They can be made custom sized and edge trimmed to order, from places like Dragonplate, but that gets pricey. I like doing it myself, anyway.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Thanks Oddity. I've got a welder who is willing to do the work. I'm going to ask him to cut one that is 3-3.5mm per your note. I weigh 220lbs - - can I assume the aluminum solid seat pan can hold that?

Comment

Oh, I don't know about aluminum, as far as thickness is concerned. I was referring to the carbon fiber sheet I've (and others) have been using as a lighter, stronger, alternative. 2.5-3.0mm is good for that IMO. That might be a bit thick for metal. I'd see what the welder seems to think would hold well. They could also attach some supports to the cross member under the frame to help keep it from bending over time.
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I got the seat pan completed. Welder did a great job (see below for a pic). I highly recommend that folks go for the solid seat pan option and go to a local welding shop. If you live in the Sacramento region I used Hansen Machine works. It took them a little over two hours to finish and charged me $100 total. great price and well worth it.

Comment

you can have it bead rolled to make it more rigid

Comment

What is bead rolled? Can you explain?

Comment

Originally posted by hugheswf View Post
                  What is bead rolled? Can you explain?
                  Rolled edges will give you protection from potential injury PLUS will strengthen the pan. The sketch drawing is a close approximation of what you want to achieve. You may wish to roll the leading edge further, like a hemisphere / 180? arc.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rolled edge.jpg Views:	0 Size:	13.2 KB ID:	2908468
                  Last edited by slow_runner; 12 Apr 2021, 4:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X