Tilite Zra ground clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tilite Zra ground clearance

Hi I have a new ish tilite zra with all the carbon options available but not sure exact size but can you ajust the ground clearance? My foot rest is to low I can’t fit my hand under it’s so low I grab everything on the ground and it’s a big issue. I tried adjusting foot plate but it doesn’t seem to move , can I put bigger casters on without messing everything up? It looks like my single sided forks might not fit a bigger wheel but if I can I’m ok with getting new ones I just need it up . It’s just so uncomfortable I hate being in in and I’ll start with that then go from there to make it comfortable, it doesn’t seem fit well to me I really hate sitting in it and need to change that any advice on anything is welcom

You should be able to adjust the footplate unless it’s already at the maximum height. I had a 2012ish ZRA and it was very difficult to adjust the footplate height, but if you loosened it all the way in both sides and gave it a solid wack or 15 with a rubber mallet it would move... millimeter by millimeter.

Comment

I think it has a wedge type deal similar to the bicycle I had when a kid.
      The allen head bolt that resides in the ovoid shoulder at the interface of foot-loop and chair frame, goes down diagonally into the wedge.
      Just loosening the allen doesn't really relax it's grip. Back the bolt off so it's free and then perhaps another couple turns. Then smartly strike it with a hammer using a suitable punch or with the allen socket inserted. Be careful not to loosen it so much that only a few threads are retaining it and you damage them by hammering. Also, remove the bolt entirely and get penetrating oil down through the hole.

Several years ago I had to replace the footloop on my 2005 Ti. I'm a mechanic with 60 years experience and it wasn't easy! I also used a Bernzomatic torch to heat the area. It was reluctant to let go! As I recall, even after the wedge was relaxed, the union had so much corrosion that it was still difficult.

Sometime soon I will be replacing the footplate on my ZRA? to make it the same as my old trusty Ti Sport. It will make mounting my Scooterchair device easier having similar footplates.

I'll check in then.
      69yo male T12 complete since 1995
      NW NJ

Comment

Thanks for the info . I tried that but not with a mallet maybe it just needs a lot of force . It seems like I have a bit of space so I don’t think it’s maxed out if it is I’ll try to get an appointment and maybe new parts idk. But that’s my small issue.

my chair just isn’t comfortable like feel to upright would be nice to have a bit of lean but not sure I have much adjustment there and also worried about that causing me to tip easier, I mean if anyone knows how I could counter that tilt that be nice instead of me adjusting everything over and over even though I’m probably goin to do that . The chair is so nice but not as comfortable as my bigger bulky old top end t6 . Did I order to short or small could that be it . I know I don’t give much info I’ll try to measure hair and myself if that helps. Here are some bad pics of chair attached
        Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	FC0BF1E8-FFED-49D3-91ED-25D60AFACA0A.png Views:	0 Size:	484.6 KB ID:	2905744

Comment

After you loosen the two allens on each tube hit the foot rest down to release the wedges in there. Then you can slide the whole thing up. I think you can change the angle on the foot plate too. Might have to loosen the screws that hold the plate a lot, then even put a wedge (screw driver) in the clamp to rotate it.
            Might post a pic of you from the side, so the folks on here can see how you sit and advice adjustments.
            Just looking at the chair pic, it looks to have no dump. You might try that first. It might make you more comfortable and raise your heels.
            I took me a while of putzing to get my new chair to feel right.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
              After you loosen the two allens on each tube hit the foot rest down to release the wedges in there. Then you can slide the whole thing up. I think you can change the angle on the foot plate too. Might have to loosen the screws that hold the plate a lot, then even put a wedge (screw driver) in the clamp to rotate it....
              In addition to what bfd said you should loosen the foot plate screws first. Here is why. Your frame downtubes are probably tapered downward toward the footplate. The clamped extensions to the footplate are two different tubes so that as they rise and descend up and down the downtubes they either move closer or further away from each other on the footplate end.

I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I just bought a TiLite ZRA in the middle of last year and also had ground clearance issues. I looked at the manual and to release the footplate down tubes, do NOT hit the tubes down. Like pfcs said, you have to hammer on the screws themselves to get the clamps to release. I had no luck in releasing the screws for the footplate itself, though... I put as much torque on the screws as I could and just ended up stripping the screws. I just made sure the footplate was high enough off the ground since I couldn't change the angle.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post

In addition to what bfd said you should loosen the foot plate screws first. Here is why. Your frame downtubes are probably tapered downward toward the footplate. The clamped extensions to the footplate are two different tubes so that as they rise and descend up and down the downtubes they either move closer or further away from each other on the footplate end.
                  AAAgh I reread my post and you have to hit the foot rest up to release the wedges.

Comment

Thanks everyone I’ll try to get a picture of me in it . I think you are all right that will help you guys tell me what I can do to be more comfortable. I will mess with foot plate this weekend hopefully I can get it to move. But I need to do something as it’s not comfortable and it’s like a year old. I’m seeing wheelchair clinic for a new back rest to start as I think I need more support but love my carbon fiber so will not go non lol. But I never noticed the no dump and that will help as my old chair had a bit and as big and junky it was I prefer sitting in it over the new one. Again thanks I’ll get pics of me in it and take your advice

Comment

But as you can see it doesn’t look to have much more room to drop dump , it definitely can go down but maybe one position. Honestly think bigger casters will help a lot these are smaller than what I had on old chair and the smaller ones make it harder on grass and stuff also

Comment

Working...
                      X