SUVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUVs

Anyone use a SUV as primary car? Wife and I are looking at SUVs. It'll be primarily her car but going to get portable hand controls as well as a pedal guard because of my spasms. She wants luxury but we're looking for the best fit. Any suggestions?

Happy NY!

I guess it depends on your level of function. As a para I wouldn't want to be getting into an SUV on a regular basis because of the extra stress on the shoulders from transferring in and out. On the other hand my neighbor showed me around her Tesla Model X with the gull wing back door, and it looked like I could probably yank my whole wheelchair through the back door still assembled, which would probably save enough shoulder wear and tear to make it worth while compared to transferring into a car.

Comment

I am a strong advocate of Volvo 4wd wagons, and not the ersatz Volvo SUVs, the WAGON that has normal ride height and is a beautiful vehicle.
      My wife transitioned from a 240K 01 V70 T5 that served us admirably for 14 years, to a 2019 V90 AWD by way of a disastrous romance with a MB 350R Bluetek Diesel "SUV".
      I really got in touch with how senseless SUVs can be when we rented one in Arizona and wished we had the old high mileage Volvo wagon instead! Two kids, two adults, luggage and a wheelchair and no room to spare!
      Oh, and did I mention, no fun to drive either!
      69yo male T12 complete since 1995
      NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post
        I guess it depends on your level of function. As a para I wouldn't want to be getting into an SUV on a regular basis because of the extra stress on the shoulders from transferring in and out. On the other hand my neighbor showed me around her Tesla Model X with the gull wing back door, and it looked like I could probably yank my whole wheelchair through the back door still assembled, which would probably save enough shoulder wear and tear to make it worth while compared to transferring into a car.
        I'm a T6/T7 para. I have a sedan I use for everyday travel. This will primarily be for my able-bodied wife but I also want to be able to drive it when travel together and take long trips.

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
          I am a strong advocate of Volvo 4wd wagons, and not the ersatz Volvo SUVs, the WAGON that has normal ride height and is a beautiful vehicle.
          My wife transitioned from a 240K 01 V70 T5 that served us admirably for 14 years, to a 2019 V90 AWD by way of a disastrous romance with a MB 350R Bluetek Diesel "SUV".
          I really got in touch with how senseless SUVs can be when we rented one in Arizona and wished we had the old high mileage Volvo wagon instead! Two kids, two adults, luggage and a wheelchair and no room to spare!
          Oh, and did I mention, no fun to drive either!
          Wife really likes the Volvo XC60 (the suv). Any reasons beside the height that you don't like Volvo SUVs? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TightLines View Post

Wife really likes the Volvo XC60 (the suv). Any reasons beside the height that you don't like Volvo SUVs? Thanks!
            My reasons are petty, I suppose.
            Unless you're going off-road why have an XC? (and if you do, don't go too deep into off road or you'll quickly discover how limited you are)
            And the all-road versions of the standard series has the same 4wd system.
            They're "hip" I'm a practical old fart.
            If you're a seriously fast driver, they aren't fun!
            69yo male T12 complete since 1995
            NW NJ

Comment

It's not luxury, but my wife has a Nissan Rogue sport that we put the hand controls / accelerator block on and it's not TOO high off the ground and I'm able to get in and out pretty easily,
              I take my wheelchair apart and pull it in over me, probably not doable for everyone!

Comment

I drive a Ford Expedition - 2004. My 2nd one - first one got crunched (rear-ended). But I can stand if holding on to something, and can put my chair in the rear seat behind driver seat. Kinda harder to do now that I'm older, but still my best option as drivers are dumbasses here and I need a ride that will hopefully allow me to survive those wrecks with minimal injury. After I retire, will look at a pick up truck that has a crane in the bed.

Comment

Originally posted by darkling View Post
                  It's not luxury, but my wife has a Nissan Rogue sport that we put the hand controls / accelerator block on and it's not TOO high off the ground and I'm able to get in and out pretty easily,
                  I take my wheelchair apart and pull it in over me, probably not doable for everyone!
                  Nice, yeah I rented a Rogue a few years ago. I assume you have temporary hand controls? And you had the accelerator block installed?

Have been driving the last 10+ years with permanent hand controls but thinking about going with the removable hand controls (but with a pedal block installed).

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post

My reasons are petty, I suppose.
                    Unless you're going off-road why have an XC? (and if you do, don't go too deep into off road or you'll quickly discover how limited you are)
                    And the all-road versions of the standard series has the same 4wd system.
                    They're "hip" I'm a practical old fart.
                    If you're a seriously fast driver, they aren't fun!
                    Good to know!

Comment

Originally posted by graybeard View Post
                      I drive a Ford Expedition - 2004. My 2nd one - first one got crunched (rear-ended). But I can stand if holding on to something, and can put my chair in the rear seat behind driver seat. Kinda harder to do now that I'm older, but still my best option as drivers are dumbasses here and I need a ride that will hopefully allow me to survive those wrecks with minimal injury. After I retire, will look at a pick up truck that has a crane in the bed.
                      Wow, that’s impressive. Would love to have a truck - not this coming purchase but hopefully the next one. Always was a little suspicious about the cranes but looks like some are reliable.

Comment

Working...
                      X