• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who still wants an E Scooter?

https://www.facebook.com/SouthallNam...74412199583045
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

PS: the kilowatt motor with 11" knobby pneumatic tire arrived today! Haven't unpacked yet but the juices is flowing'!

Now, if you purchased a 48V 10Ah LiPO battery from the little "factory" in China, would the previous video affect your confidence?
      NW NJ

Comment

I envision your final version looking something like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	2909556

Comment

It's about at this point I feel compelled to say, it's the official position of folks who operate this site, that this is crazy and you shouldn't try to do it. Seriously. Enjoy it vicariously through pfcs49 and keep yourself in one piece. A 20mph wheelchair has the potential to kill you. (Even though it might be fun along the way.) But, seriously, don't. If you do, wear a helmet. And full racing leathers. And a back protector. And armored riding boots and gloves. And purchase additional long term disability coverage for future injuries. And make sure your affairs are all in order, re: a last will and testament, and other end of life documentation. Cheers. πŸ€“πŸ‘
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

But, as a recovering gearhead, I am sorely tempted to try a build like this, myself. Could be a whole new wheelchair racing sport. 🀣😝
            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
              Holy Lithium Ion!

Comment

And so it begins!
                1KW knobby pneumatic 11" tire, 8" 350W solid tire in foreground.
                The tiny motor controller comes with the kit (48V/25A) and seems frightfully small for it's work; on the right, another 48V/"38A current limiting" 1000W controller.
                Without disassembling it I know it will have multiple FET transistors for each leg; the little guy, just singles. Can't imagine it being reliable OR it's output is way exaggerated.

Interesting factoid: the KDX, even at it's ultra-low price, has an architecture none of the ten or so aftermarket motor controllers I've played with has.
                It has a CAN buss. It has RX and a TX legs (digital send and receive terminals) between the motor controller and the multi-function display & throttle control which allows for time and distance functions to be displayed (speed, odometer, trip odometer, select MPH/KPH, motor RPM, program in tire diameter, number of poles in motor, etc, as well as battery condition and voltage. All in a module smaller than a pocket-watch!

Which means, I haven't been able to observe speeds or distances, only battery condition/voltage.

Well, this new, tiny (same size as 36V/16A KDX scooter original), motor controller has the CAN buss/digital communication! If it was the same voltage, it would fit in the original battery box/module case behind the aluminum front plate of my scooter. (the plate is that section of the aluminum deck of the KDX cut out on a bandsaw and mounted vertically to the steering column.

Intersting

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3908.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	673.7 KB
ID:	2909588

Oy yeah! I forgot something.
                It's top speed is listed as 60 kph (~36mph)

I will start on the roll cage tomorrow

Seriously-I will never go that fast, but find me some real smooth surface and I'll tell you how close I got (if there's no brain damage!)
                NW NJ

Comment

Finally! Made a video
                  Unfortunately, it's the stair climber!
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4jienFbwEI&t=5s

here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4jienFbwEI
                  Last edited by pfcs49; 28 May 2021, 9:46 PM.
                  NW NJ

Comment

• Gordy1
                    Gordy1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s the link to your stair-climber, not your E-scooter! (Stair-climber video is good too though!)

took me a while to sort it out. The scooter video is now also up
                  NW NJ

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4092.JPG Views:	0 Size:	641.8 KB ID:	2913420

Saturday I finally commenced on FrankenSkooter (1KW 48V 36mph). I had been stalled, not excited about welding up forks big enough for this much bigger wheel onto the KDX scooter neck, afraid that even if I did some reinforcement at the head-union, this monster would break it over time. Then I realized that the old school scooter someone gave me for parts could work!
                    I needed to spread these forks 1.2" to accommodate this brute, but not to lengthen them.
                    I've moved past these photos. I've welded brackets to mount the brake caliper to and started figuring out how to mount it. I'd like to see about using the folding mechanism to raise the machine up to where the mounts pick up the chair footrest, and then make up some linkages that latch down on top of the footrest as the steering column slides into it's locked up position. (then attach the two
                    upper stay rods as on the smaller scooter)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4091.JPG Views:	0 Size:	719.8 KB ID:	2913419
                    NW NJ

Comment

Working...
                    X