Blocked suprapubic catheter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blocked suprapubic catheter

I had my suprapubic catheter inserted in 2009. For a while, it worked really well and I could go eight or nine weeks before it was routinely changed. However, as time went on I found that blockages would occur quite often. It got to the point where I was having it changed every two or three weeks, sometimes only after a week. Anyone who has a catheter will tell you that it's extremely inconvenient having a blocked catheter, especially if it happens in the middle of the night.

I read all sorts of articles about people who had the same problem and what they had done to solve the issue. In fact, somebody wrote an article on here. However, the article was so long I just couldn't be bothered to read it. Anyway, one night at around 2 AM in the morning when I had one of the night nurses changing the catheter she just happened to mention open-ended catheters that were fairly new on the market. I made inquiries and managed to get some. Wow! Talk about making a massive difference. I've now been using them since the beginning of June and I've not had a single blockage. In fact, the one I have now is due to be changed in the next week and I've had it in for 10 weeks.

Thankfully, a simple change made the difference.

"open ended" catheters? I'm all ears.
    I found an article from 09 where they perforated the tip of a Foley and stopped having stoma leakage.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2740262/
    not seeing any pricing although there are a few open tips listed. One shows $217! but no quantity. Hope that's not individual price!!
    Last edited by pfcs49; 13 Nov 2020, 2:49 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

Penn doesn't indicate on his profile his location, but in the USA these are called Council or Councill indwelling catheters. Most are latex as they are designed for short-term use; I would cautious anyone with a SCI about using latex non-coated catheters for long-term use.

Here is an example:

https://www.indemedical.com/Bard-Bar...cc_p_4364.html

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        Penn doesn't indicate on his profile his location, but in the USA these are called Council or Councill indwelling catheters. Most are latex as they are designed for short-term use; I would cautious anyone with a SCI about using latex non-coated catheters for long-term use.

Here is an example:

https://www.indemedical.com/Bard-Bar...cc_p_4364.html

(KLD)
        Can I ask why we should be cautious about using noncoated catheters? I don't want to be using something if it's going to cause me harm. Mind you, if I've got to go back to the others then that would be really annoying. By the way, I'm in the UK.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
          SCI-Nurse commented
          Editing a comment
          Latex catheters are a significant risk factor for developing latex allergy and latex allergy. Latex that comes into contact with mucosa like your bladder/urethra, and your rectum has put people with SCI in the top 3 of groups who develop latex allergies with time.
          In addition, latex catheters more easily clog than silicone or Teflon or silastic coated catheters.
          (KLD)

Penn, what size catheter are you using? Mine is 26 French. My Urologist started with a 22, went to a 24 and finally the 26. She wanted to go as large as as practical to guard against blockage by providing adequate Urine flow. It is changed monthly. No UTI’s, no blockages.
        You C.A.N.
        Conquer Adversity Now

Comment

Originally posted by wazabiker View Post
          Penn, what size catheter are you using? Mine is 26 French. My Urologist started with a 22, went to a 24 and finally the 26. She wanted to go as large as as practical to guard against blockage by providing adequate Urine flow. It is changed monthly. No UTI’s, no blockages.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020530.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	2904363

Comment

Working...
          X