No announcement yet.

Thinking it's time for a power chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everybody. I've scheduled trials for both the ZX-1 and X3 and I'll keep you posted.
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Comment

Another thing about the ZX, when you’re attached, you can take your wheels off and turn your regular chair into a really skinny thing that goes into peoples bathrooms. It’s also great for fixing flats and adjusting brakes
      69yo male T12 complete since 1995
      NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by elarson View Post
        My husband is a non-ambulatory stroke survivor with heavy hemiparesis. We have a ZX-1 and love it, but he really struggles on long bumpy rides due to the front casters. We also struggle a lot with any kind of curb, even with a Smartwheel on the the front. We are thinking of picking up a used power chair for those times that it's a better fit so that he can go further in more comfort.
        Yeah, if you have a van already then that's a smart move. I'd try and buy local, like Craigs List. Two times I bought from EBay, there was damage from shipping.

Comment

also, with ZX1 and no wheels, you can make easier transfers. You can also raise it a little but since the castors stay on the floor, the seat angles downward somewhat.
          NW NJ

Comment

Well, the Rovi X3 was "fun" outside and the "lazy boy" features are cool but the chair just isn't practical for me. I don't need it at home or at my office/shop, takes too long to do things; doesn't go low enough to get under desks and tables easily and setting it up in my van will be a nightmare.

So I need to locate a ZX-1 which really seems like it'll fit the bill for me. Has anyone seen a used one for sale anywhere recently? I'd prefer not to pay retail.
            Rick Goldstein
            GO! Mobility Solutions

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
              SCI-Nurse commented
              Editing a comment
              Several listed on eBay right now, but not cheap. (KLD)

If I can get "Franken scooterchair" built and it works in my backyard, I will sell my ZX-1 (with mud and regular tires +a scan-tool/programmer tool) for less than $2000 in the spring, when I can confirm Franken scooter will work in the dirt.
            This is "Scooterchair" for the street. Fscoot will have more power and a bigger wheel, bigger motor, and aggressive front tire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3735.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	588.3 KB
ID:	2905275
            NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by goldnucs View Post
              Well, the Rovi X3 was "fun" outside and the "lazy boy" features are cool but the chair just isn't practical for me. I don't need it at home or at my office/shop, takes too long to do things; doesn't go low enough to get under desks and tables easily and setting it up in my van will be a nightmare.

So I need to locate a ZX-1 which really seems like it'll fit the bill for me. Has anyone seen a used one for sale anywhere recently? I'd prefer not to pay retail.
              Feel free to shoot me an email I'm always happy to help a fellow quad out.
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com
              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                If I can get "Franken scooterchair" built and it works in my backyard, I will sell my ZX-1 (with mud and regular tires +a scan-tool/programmer tool) for less than $2000 in the spring, when I can confirm Franken scooter will work in the dirt.
                This is "Scooterchair" for the street. Fscoot will have more power and a bigger wheel, bigger motor, and aggressive front tire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3735.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	588.3 KB
ID:	2905275
                Ok, please let me know!!
                Rick Goldstein
                GO! Mobility Solutions

Comment

The VA supplied me with an eagle HD a folding electric chair it has a 30 mile range weighs less than 60 pounds and the batteries can be taken out to be lighter. They cost around 2500 dollars. There are other models which are just as good, but I would stay away from the jazzy passport, it's cheaper but I think it's not as good as the eagle hd or the other folding chairs that are available.
                  Last edited by trekker6; 28 Dec 2020, 11:10 AM. Reason: forgot a word
                  "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Comment

trekker6 Pls tell a bit more about the eagle? Can you make any comparisons between a group 3 rehab chair and the Eagle. Will it fit in a plane isle? Would you drive a vehicle from the Eagle? How adjustable is it...can you recline the backrest while in the Eagle?

The jazzy select 6 that I owned would not make it up my van ramp when the tires were wet. It had trouble when the tires were dry too. I'd like to try a smaller chair if it would handle the basics.
                    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
                    T5/6 complete

Comment

Will a ZX1 work in the grass or just hard surfaces?

Comment

Originally posted by rollin64 View Post

It works fine in grass as long as it's not wet, muddy, or steep, all of which my trip to the generator involves.
                        That's why I put knobbies on mine. They're ok on hard surfaces-no vibration or noiseyness but if you go mud-bogging, you'll need Click image for larger version

Name:	image_62789.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	2905524 to hose them down before coming in the house!
                        Last edited by pfcs49; 30 Dec 2020, 7:58 PM.
                        NW NJ

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	67EF662D-97AB-435D-9629-BD5BEF3555FC.jpeg Views:	39 Size:	8.5 KB ID:	2905526 Click image for larger version  Name:	277B035B-233B-40FA-ACDF-B6B48A42F55B.jpeg Views:	28 Size:	7.3 KB ID:	2905527 And if you have a van I have a cool lift for you. I made this for a Mercedes or 350 but then we got a Volvo wagon and it won’t work because the tail of Volvo is not as vertical as the Mercedes
                          Last edited by pfcs49; 1 Jan 2021, 3:27 PM.
                          NW NJ

Comment

On occasion, I've used mine on grass and gravel with a Freewheel on the front. The ZX and FW lifts all four wheels off the ground making it easier to go thru the field on my property.

Comment

i use mine in grass and gravel. just need to be careful the casters dont dig in. in real rough stuff i use the freewheel with it but rarely
                              Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com
                              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Working...
                              X