Best inner tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best inner tubes

I use standard Kenda Primo 24 x 1 3/8 75psi tires. But my current set of inner tubes has never been good at keeping pressure. They are the ones that came with the chair. I'm tired of them. Beside going to a heavy duty tube does anyone have a brand they feel hold the pressure better. Can't go to solid tires or high pressure tire/tubes. Want to keep the same tire, just want the best tube to use.

Thanks

I've always found Schwable to be the best.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 16 Oct 2020, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Also... where do folks buy their better quality inner tubes ?

Comment

Schwable AV 40mm stainless Schader valves are my favorite. Order off Amazon when I can find them in the right size (25-37x559 for me). (Expensive but tough...3mm thick walls with stainless valves).
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

• Oddity
          Oddity commented
          Editing a comment
          I ran those tubes and one set of Marathons for 8 years before running over a nail, then just changed the tubes, same tires, then for 3 more before the sidewalls finally gave out. So, one tire and one tube lasted 11 years. Crazy.

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
        Schwable AV 40mm stainless Schader valves are my favorite. Order off Amazon when I can find them in the right size (25-37x559 for me). (Expensive but tough...3mm thick walls with stainless valves).
        How are they for holding their air pressure?

Comment

They seem fine. I top off about once a week as a routine and it's not much. They drop internal pressure from the rubber stretching more than actual leaking at the valves. That's something they all do.
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
            They seem fine. I top off about once a week as a routine and it's not much. They drop internal pressure from the rubber stretching more than actual leaking at the valves. That's something they all do.
            Well just ordered a set of AV9's. Hope they hold pressure better than my current ones. They drop from 75 to 50 in a week.

Comment

Originally posted by wes4dbt View Post

Well just ordered a set of AV9's. Hope they hold pressure better than my current ones. They drop from 75 to 50 in a week.
              Idk what air loss is like at lower pressures like 75, but I used to run my marathons at 145 psi, and I'd air them up every week or two, usually right before I knew I was pushing somewhere pretty far. I'd say they probably lost 30-40 pounds in a week and maybe 60 over two weeks. I have Schwalbe Ones now, which I am kind of liking, and they lose a similar amount of air, but I only air them up to 135 (the max for the tire).

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post

Idk what air loss is like at lower pressures like 75, but I used to run my marathons at 145 psi, and I'd air them up every week or two, usually right before I knew I was pushing somewhere pretty far. I'd say they probably lost 30-40 pounds in a week and maybe 60 over two weeks. I have Schwalbe Ones now, which I am kind of liking, and they lose a similar amount of air, but I only air them up to 135 (the max for the tire).
                Well crap, are you saying there's no way around airing up your tires every couple of weeks(except solids)??

Has anyone tried the solid inserts? How easy do they roll? Does it make it harder to use the composite scissor brakes?

Comment

Originally posted by wes4dbt View Post

Well crap, are you saying there's no way around airing up your tires every couple of weeks(except solids)??

Has anyone tried the solid inserts? How easy do they roll? Does it make it harder to use the composite scissor brakes?
                  None that I know of. It was the same back when I used to ride bicycles. I commuted on a road bike that I kept the pressure at 110. I had to air them up every week. My commute was about 15 minutes or so, but even when I was running late, I’d take the time to air up the tires if it got to a certain point. Riding that bike on 60 pounds of pressure was like pedaling through sand all the way to work.

i had shox solid tires for a while. They’re okay if that’s your thing. If you’re into running 75 psi it might feel similar. Once I switched from shox to marathons at a properly high pressure I knew I was never going back to solid tires because my shoulders can’t take it. I’d probably lose 40% of my range pushing solid tires vs good high pressure pneumatics.

Comment

If you’re into running 75 psi it might feel similar.
                    It's not that I'm into running 75 psi but it's as high as I can go and still able to use my composite scissor lock (quad strength). On my left side that's the only tire lock I've found that isn't in my way when I transfer. I us a push to lock on my right side. I can't use the locks that mount on the lower frame tube because my body just doesn't bend. D locks might be a solution but that's a lot of money for a brake.

Comment

Working...
                    X