Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does having ergo seat on a chair correct posterior pelvic tilt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does having ergo seat on a chair correct posterior pelvic tilt?

Hi folks,

I've searched through the forum but don't find a definitive answer to this question. For anyone with experience to this question, please chime in, your knowledge is appreciated, thank you!
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

I'm not aware of any studies that prove this, medically speaking. There may be though.

From what I have read, posterior tilt/"sacral sitting", is a combination of a handful of factors ("hip bone connected to the thigh bone, thigh bone connected to the..." situation).

The chair has to be fit right for starters. Seat depth, backrest height/angle/shape, "dump"/backrest to seat pan angle, foot rest height...they're all playing into pelvic positioning. Ergo seating is gonna be some factor too, I'd imagine. Imagination isn't sound advice though! .

Posterior tilt can also be influenced by your hamstrings being too tight, especially if you're using a lot of dump. Having the knees significantly higher than the pelvis causes tighter hamstrings to want to pull the pelvis forward. On the flip side, if your foot rest is too low, this can also contribute to pulling your pelvis forward. Keeping the knees more level, and thigh bones adequately loaded onto the cushion, can help.

The literature I've read have consistently addressed this with the cushion (assuming proper chair fit and a flexible pelvis that can tolerate correction!) and the use of a pre-ischial shelf/ischial well/anti-thrust component in the cushion or base, configured of the proper size and depth for your anatomy, and a backrest that provides good posterior pelvic support at the right angle (often more "open" than we tend to use).

I suspect a RESNA/ATP certified seating OT would be knowledgeable about this, clinically speaking. Any chance of seeing one of those to help spec your new chair? Worth going out of your way for IMO!

This is something SCI_OTR could probably shed some educated light on, but I know he's a busy guy these days. Maybe we can tempt him to chime in, when he can, by tagging him.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Oddity , thank you so much for such thorough info on this subject, your giving me some variables to look into now, and not just ergo seats alone!

It would definitely be nice to hear SCI_OTR's take on this subject now in 2020, I know he was not convinced back then when ergo seating was just becoming available.
      May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Comment

Working...
      X